The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  S10 EXCEL question
Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:57 am    

Have an opportunity to purchase an S10 Excel. The guitar has a chrome plaque on front of it that says "Custom made for Norman Hamlett of The Merle Haggard Band." It's 3&4,don't know yet how old it is. Owner is asking $1,500. Does anyone know the quality of this brand,if they have any issues,etc...Any info would be appreciated ! Thanks.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:57 am    

I've never owned one, but I've never heard anything but good stuff about the brand. Post some pics when you get it home! Any thing that works is worth that kind of money! Smile

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 9:18 am     S10 EXCEL question

Hey Dave,thanks for the input ! I'm wondering also if Norm Hamlet actually did own it or not. If so,It'd be cool to have !

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 12:42 pm     Re: S10 EXCEL question

They are made by the Fuzzy company in Japan....the originals in the 70's were actually called Fuzzy. They are built by Mitsuo Fugi a master builder Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 1:19 pm     S10 EXCEL question

Okay Micky,thanks for the info !

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 3:34 pm    

These are very good guitars..no breakage, mechanically accurate, light and easy to change set-ups.. Larry Very Happy

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 5:52 pm     S10 EXCEL question

Hello Larry,thanks for the pics and your input ! Still thinking about it.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 2:27 am     psg

I've got a 2014 S-10 Excel, I purchased new. Burgundy/Black mica. Zero issues. I also have a 2011 S-10 Desert Rose that I recently bought. It's a lacquer guitar. With the GL Eon pu it has a Sho-Bud type high end tone and the lows are very strong. My Excel has a GL 10-1 pu that I placed in it and it has even highs/lows across all ten strings. Both guitars are keyed guitars. However, I do have access to three new Excels including a S-10 which is the green/black Excel on there website. It's keyless and a dream to play. Beautiful S-10 and is very light and won't move when played. It comes with 4 & 5, I believe. Good luck and yes, the Show-Pro is a fine guitar.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 5:13 am    

Kevin,
He got the guitar from me. It was originally a 12 string that I converted to a S10 so he could get started learning. I got the guitar from Damir Besic in a trade. As far as I could tell it is a mid 90's guitar , it's 7R/5L changer. The tone is AWESOME and it is STABLE and LIGHT. If he'dcalled me a month earlier I would have taken it back but I'm already onto another S10 project. Btw, the guitar is allegedly 1 of 2 built for Norman. That one is serial NH-2. If I still have pics I'll post them later. It's black mica. Hope that helps.

****I rebuilt the undercarriage with Mullen bellcranks and Pull Rod assemblies from Michael Yahl. If you look in another section you'll see that I have the rest of the Mullen Bellcranks for sale at 1/2 price.***

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 7:07 pm     S10 EXCEL question

Hey Marty,that's some very helpful info ! Going to pm you. Thanks !

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 7:20 pm     S10 EXCEL question

Thanks Billy for your input also !