The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with Carter Starter PuP
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 6:33 pm    

I purchased a CS and this PuP came on it. Anyone know what it is? It ohn'd at approx.
30k. Thanks for any help.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 8:52 am    

That looks to be a stock pickup for that guitar, but the earliest version. For example, see the ones in these pictures:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=243189

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2510671&sid=a87d81a5cf6f268c64f358047ac80faf

Al Wiegel

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 9:27 am    

Hi Marty.....agree with Tucker, must be one of the early original Pup. Here are pics of the original I swapped out of mine: I haven't posted pics before so hope I got it correct.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 3:31 pm    

Thanks guys. I'd seen the ones with the single pole pieces before but not this style. After I posted this I looked closer at the area where the PuP was mounted and realized that it was the only one that had ever been mounted on the guitar so it had to be OEM.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 4:51 pm     Cs Pup

Marty. There is a CS in a music store I hang out at and it has a E66 in it. It sounds Really good in that little steel.

Fred

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 4:42 am    

Fred, I was thinking of upgrading to either the E66 or a BL. I like the E66 on my LeGrande but it's a 1/2" cabinet and the Carter is 3/4" so the BL might be more appropriate.

Al Wiegel

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 1:53 pm    

Marty.....When I first got my CS, I noticed a fairly loud 60 cycle hum being picked up by the single coil Pup due to a bad power transformer at the end of my driveway. Al Brisco installed a George L's 10 EON in the guitar for me, no more hum and a really nice sound thru the Cube 80xl. The EON fit nicely into the hole but we had to fill the old screw holes and drill new ones. Assume the E66 is the same dimensions as the EON.