The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Online lap steel instruction
Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 11:59 am    

I am looking for recommendations for a lap steel teacher that uses Skype for online instruction.

I know several, but the difficulty is that most instructors have a pretty firm, pre done lesson plan (which I totally get) but usually based around old standards, Hawaiian, or country. I am really interested in having someone help me with "blues/rock". (My old standards Smile

Crosby Stills Nash, Dylan, Beatles, Clapton..etc. you get the drift.

Any one have any ideas, I have my new to me Sierra 8 string, fast net connection, high def camera ready to go!

Thanks

Dan Campbell

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:18 pm     on-line lessons

In my opinion John Ely is the best. You can find him on-line at http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/index.php First, he knows more about music than you can imagine--it doesn't matter what kind. Second,he has developed a system for creating harmony that is amazing. He also teaches a system for understanding how to do back-up (90% of what you end up doing). In addition he will customize the lessons. It takes a while to learn depending on you skill level, but you will never exhaust his knowledge or his ability to take you to the next level. Dan

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:46 pm    

Dan,

Thanks.. I consider John a friend, and he used to stay at the house when he came down to play in the twin cities.. I took lessons from John for a while, but it is hard on him to create different lessons from his other students and I always felt it was an imposition on him to deviate from his usual lessons.

I was hoping to find a lap steel teacher who's preferences more closely matched mine, hopefully.. as they will already have lessons, tabs etc based around that music..

Again, no knock on John, he is a fabulous teacher and a talented musician.

Barbara Berg

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 7:18 pm     Lessons

I totally agree, John has been my teacher for 4 years and I have learned from a guru who is so savvy in music and steel guitar. My 5 star recommendation!

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 9:01 am    

Hal Braun wrote:
Dan,

Thanks.. I consider John a friend, and he used to stay at the house when he came down to play in the twin cities.. I took lessons from John for a while, but it is hard on him to create different lessons from his other students and I always felt it was an imposition on him to deviate from his usual lessons.

I was hoping to find a lap steel teacher who's preferences more closely matched mine, hopefully.. as they will already have lessons, tabs etc based around that music..

Again, no knock on John, he is a fabulous teacher and a talented musician.

I have no idea whether Mr. Ely is the right (or best) teacher for your needs, but if he's willing to take you on you should feel no compunction about accepting that. Frankly, having a set of "usual lessons" that all students are run through is a lazy way to teach (and boring for the teacher). Each student brings a different background, different aptitude, different set of ambitions to the endeavor; each deserves a custom tailored lesson plan based on those variables. I'll bet John Ely would agree.

That said, it does of course make sense to find a teacher who's conversant with the repertoire you're interested in pursuing.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 12:02 pm    

I think John Ely is a great teacher.

Mind you I only had one lesson with him and he tailored based on my needs. So I don't agree with him sticking solely to specific material. It all depends on your foundation.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 7:53 pm    

Let me clarify.. John did do some specific tabs/lessons for me that were blues based.. what I stated was that I felt I was making extra work for him and that he prefers teaching more traditional lap steel music..

I was looking for some one that may prefer teaching music more in line with what I want to learn. I have received a note from a teacher that is cool with that and will be working with him..

Thanks all..

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 7:40 am    

You will find teachers who advertise their services for sale, use old material because it has no Copyright left, if they use Copyright Material, which I suspect you want, they have to pay the Rights Holder a hefty fee which will be passed on to you.

A personal request to a Teacher for a one off Private lesson will probably be given as long as you don't spread the News to everyone else and get him into trouble.

There is plenty of music I can't listen to in the UK because the US rights holder won't agree, I have posted tracks on You Tube which Giggle tells me won't be heard in 47 countries for the same reason, I only post my own compositions now.

James.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 12:22 pm    

????

I've been teaching for 25+ years (guitar, mostly), and I've never ONCE run across a situation where I needed to, or was asked to, pay any kind of rights fee.

There's a difference between disseminating music on Youtube and teaching. In fact, most educational uses fall under the "fair use" exception.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 12:43 pm    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
????

I've been teaching for 25+ years (guitar, mostly), and I've never ONCE run across a situation where I needed to, or was asked to, pay any kind of rights fee.

There's a difference between disseminating music on Youtube and teaching. In fact, most educational uses fall under the "fair use" exception.

If you publish anything for sale which has been previously registered with Copyright and belongs to someone else, they can make a claim against you. Fair use in the UK allows only excerpts for critical use or comment, not the whole thing and that includes Educational use, its not much different in the USA. It follows if you publish a Tuition Book full of someone else's Music and sell it to students, you are in breach of that persons Copyright. There is a famous thief on this Forum called Ron who copies and sells other peoples Steel Guitar Courses, under your thinking this would be fair use since he is only Educating his customers.

Because you have been operating for 25 years using other people's material and have not been stopped does not mean you won't at some point in the future.

Just today the singer Ed Sheering has settled out of court in a $20 Million claim for selling one song that was the same as one recorded 5 years ago.

Copyright Law can be found here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing_in_United_Kingdom_law

James.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 12:51 pm    

You're talking about multiple different issues.....

PUBLISHING a book is far different from teaching in-person lessons.....which is what is being asked about and discussed here.

Ed Sheeran possibly plagiarizing (intentionally or not) another writer's work is yet another issue......again, having nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Trust me, I'm a published songwriter. I know and understand the copyright and fair use laws.

No teacher of one-on-one lessons has been, or will ever be, taken to court or presented with a bill for the songs they use.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 12:53 pm    

Very true.

Educational puporses with no monetary gain is ok for study. But once you attach a price the waters become murky. So what Jazzers often do like on TrueFire is change the key and a melody note here and there but keep all the changes and then rename it.

For example their Cherokee video is called "Cherry Key"
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 12:55 pm    

Wow.. guess I am glad my teacher lives in the US and is teaching me blues licks that every one borrows from, from Clapton to Mayer

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 1:11 pm    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
You're talking about multiple different issues.....

PUBLISHING a book is far different from teaching in-person lessons.....which is what is being asked about and discussed here.

Ed Sheeran possibly plagiarizing (intentionally or not) another writer's work is yet another issue......again, having nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Trust me, I'm a published songwriter. I know and understand the copyright and fair use laws.

No teacher of one-on-one lessons has been, or will ever be, taken to court or presented with a bill for the songs they use.

I'm not talking about publishing a book, I'm talking about publishing tuition materials using other peoples work, and I did say in my first post if asked, a Tutor would sell you private lessons and no harm would be done. This started because the OP did not want to learn Red River Valley and such like, he wanted more up to date material.

Perhaps well known members of this site will come in and tell us what they sell to their Students, and how they ensure they operate within the Law.

James.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 11:11 am    

I've been an independent music teacher for over 30 years. Fairly certain my using excerpts of copyrighted material for lesson examples falls within fair use. If not, I can't imagine a circumstance where anyone would be such an ass as to waste time coming after a music teacher for disseminating their work. I think Mr. Kerr is imagining a problem where one doesn't exist.

Quote:
Perhaps well known members of this site will come in and tell us what they sell to their Students, and how they ensure they operate within the Law.

What I'm selling to my students is my knowledge and experience as a performer and teacher. Sharing transcriptions (usually just fragments) of copyrighted music is incidental to teaching.

If I were actually publishing books of transcriptions, that might be another story.
[/url]

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 11:49 am    

What you say is exactly right, you sell fragments, nobody will trouble you.

I'm not imagining anything, the OP wanted to know why he couldn't buy up to date teaching material, I just informed him.

Look at the post by Teacher Andy Volk put up today and see the material he offers to understand what I refer to.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=315249

JK.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 3:18 pm    

James Kerr wrote:
I'm not imagining anything, the OP wanted to know why he couldn't buy up to date teaching material, I just informed him.

Where do you get that? He asked specifically about Skype (meaning one on one) lessons.......not buying learning materials.

Not to be argumentative, but I think you've been looking at this, and commenting about it, based on some very faulty assumptions.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 2:19 am    

The OP said,,,,,

PostPosted: 27 Mar 17 11:59am Post subject: Online lap steel instruction

I am looking for recommendations for a lap steel teacher that uses Skype for online instruction.

I know several, but the difficulty is that most instructors have a pretty firm, pre done lesson plan (which I totally get) but usually based around old standards, Hawaiian, or country. I am really interested in having someone help me with "blues/rock". (My old standards Smile

Crosby Stills Nash, Dylan, Beatles, Clapton..etc. you get the drift.

No matter how you look at this the Teacher who sells materials by Skype, Book form, CD or DVD must ensure none of it is covered by Copyright, hence the reason he says "most Instructors have a pretty firm, pre-done lesson plan based around Old Standards, Hawaiian, or Country" No publisher will produce these materials for you because they too are liable.

But in order to bring this to an end, I accept the common view here that Copyright does not exist, the Internet is The Wild West 2.0 and I can sell as many copies of Buddy Emmons E9th course vol 2 as I like for educational purposes. Incidentally, my computer tells me not to click on his website "Buddy Emmons.com" warning the site has been hacked, must be someone collecting some free stuff.

JK.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 4:16 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
James Kerr wrote:

Where do you get that? He asked specifically about Skype (meaning one on one) lessons.......not buying learning materials.

Not to be argumentative, but I think you've been looking at this, and commenting about it, based on some very faulty assumptions.

Jim.. you are exactly correct.. someone to show me how to play my favorites, not sell me a bunch of tabs.. thanks.

James,

True or not, I am not a lawyer.. it is a horrible state of affairs if a person (for free or for a fee) cannot teach me to play the songs I want to play and enjoy. People have been figuring out how to play the music of others they enjoy for centuries! If I had the skill, I would do it myself.. my personal feeling is that most people that pick up lapsteel just prefer a different type of music and teachers have lessons prepped for the largest audience and this drives the lack of modern rock/blues lapsteel instruction more than fear of fines.

There are a couple of teachers now selling blues and rock based courses, but I need a mentor to help me learn how.. and as you so aptly put it.. I don't want to learn how to play the steel with Red River Valley and then apply those skills to "Teach Your Children"

Thanks for your input..

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 5:11 am     Teach Your Children Licks

Here is a Youtube I made a few years ago for a forum member's request C6 Non Pedal Teach Your Children<<Click

Hope this will help someone a little.

For Those who need to "Paint by Numbers" we recommend you take the initiative to write your own TAB

This will avoid Emperial Entanglements and copyright police - and is supposed to help embed the licks to memory.
YouTube Channel

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 10:19 am    

Hal Braun wrote:

Jim.. you are exactly correct.. someone to show me how to play my favorites, not sell me a bunch of tabs.. thanks.

Cool. I think everyone understood what you were specifically asking about, with one obvious exception. Good luck in your search.

Who knows, maybe it's a wording issue? They DO say the US and UK are two nations separated by a common language! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 11:06 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:

Who knows, maybe it's a wording issue? They DO say the US and UK are two nations separated by a common language! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Two nations??? How about one city (Philly) and the rest of the USA?

You surely most know how difficult (sic) it is to order a glass of H2O in areas not used to a Philly accent! Razz Razz Razz

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 6:51 pm    

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:
Jim Fogarty wrote:

Two nations??? How about one city (Philly) and the rest of the USA?

You surely most know how difficult (sic) it is to order a glass of H2O in areas not used to a Philly accent! Razz Razz Razz

"Yo! Wooder!!"

What's the problem?

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:36 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:

"Yo! Wooder!!"

What's the problem?

Exactly....hahahahaha