Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 9:43 am    

Ran across this on youtube,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep4cFx3eh5I

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 3:27 am     Emmons "Early" Sessions

wow sonny that is great Very Happy Very Happy . i wonder what the Big E was playing shobud or emmonsp/p and what amp.got any more??

thanks
p.w

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:49 pm     buddy

Has to be the pep.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 5:27 pm    

A push/pull Emmons if I've ever heard one...

...and I have...

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:54 am    

Sonny, that is awesome - thanks!

Any idea who's vocalizing? Clearly, Buddy is counting it off but I don't think that's him singing. "Once In A While?"

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 6:09 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLz07F0kv0

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 7:31 am    

Thanks for the link, Peter. This is what I found on Chuck Jennings: http://thecountryclassics.com/jukebox/music/chuck-jennings-at-mason-opry-on-thursday

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 7:39 am    

I uploaded that video for you folks listening enjoyment. I ran across it when I was transfering 135 demo somgs from reel to reel to CD's for a deceased friend of mine widow who wants to sell the entire publishing co. Sorry about the scratchy spots. That's where I was trying to bring up the declining level on one side of the tape and my old Scully two track had dust in the pots. I dropped the vocals off on that one video so you all could hear Buddy better.
I kinda play steel myself as well as being an audio engineer so I appreciate it too. So here is the little details about it from what I have been told.
Chuck Jennings is the singing artist he is playing behind. Chuck has been a friend of mine since the 70's when we both played for Tony Douglas and the Shrimpers. Chuck told me that he met Buddy with Ray while playing lead guitar in the Big D Jamboree house band. Bobby Garrett another fine steel player worked off and on with Tony and the Shrimpers about this time so when Bobby wouldn't around and Ray was there with Buddy they would get Buddy to play steel for them on their portion of the show. Everybody wanted Buddy to play for them way back then. So Chuck was a song writer and he got Buddy to play steel on 3 songs he had wrote. I found two of them over 50 years later but could not find the 3rd one. My first hearing of this song was around 1970. The studio engineer and owner who recorded the session was Curtis Kirk of Custom Sound studio in Tyler, Tx. where I lived.
I came over one day and told him I had taken a job playing bass for Tony Douglas. He got to telling me about recording them and we got to talking about steel guitars and he said "I got something I need to play you and he played me "Once in a While". Of course I fell in love with the steel part and I asked him if he could make me a copy on reel to reel and he did but through a few moves I lost it and only 3 tears ago did I find the master to it in the publishing company tapes. It was never released. This is the only copy in existence. Curtis told me Buddy walked in the studio and set his steel guitar and amp down and said a few words then set it up. He said he then took out a pair of wire cutters and in one swoop cut all the strings off of it and restrung it, tuned it then pulled a bottle of whiskey out of a suitcase he had brought in and downed a big chug and looked at him and said "I'm ready to record."

Last edited by David Mitchell on 27 Mar 2017 9:21 am; edited 4 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 7:43 am    

I like the "three tears ago". Very Happy

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 7:45 am    

Lol! Typo but it would make a good country song! Haha!

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 9:05 am    

Here's another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jxpjQJ7ko0

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 2:37 pm    

Cool! Chuck Jennings ! I met Chuck years ago when he was playing with Boxcar Willie....

Great solo!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 2:54 pm    

Chuck Jennings is a super guy as well as musician. He called me just last week only to know how I was doing. Chuck has had so many back surgeries and pain he's just about out of the picking business.
Yes Chuck worked over 20 years for Box. I remember when him and Harlan went to work for Boxcar because we all quit Tony Douglas the same week for different reasons. Yes musicians go on strike too. Just kidding but Tony always treated me well too just like I was his own son. I spent many nights sleeping in Tony and Mims house after a long gig and drive back to east Texas. Always had a killer morning breakfast at Tony's house. Tony passed away just a few years ago from cancer.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 1:54 pm    

David, thanks so much for posting this track! Any chance you have a mix with vocals and no steel? I'm trying to work out Buddy's part and it would be great to have a backing track to practice to. Thanks again.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 9:19 pm    

Jonathan Shacklock wrote:
David, thanks so much for posting this track! Any chance you have a mix with vocals and no steel? I'm trying to work out Buddy's part and it would be great to have a backing track to practice to. Thanks again.

Thanks Jonathan! I no longer have those tapes in my possesion because after I finished copying them I took them back to the deceased publishers widow's house. She legally owns them and she just paid me to copy them to CD. I couldn't fullfill your request even if I had them because they were recorded on 2 track tape. The vocals were panned to one track with a little bleedover and all the other instruments were on the other track. They use to record like that so they could punch the singer in. All the musicians were expected to have their parts down within 3 takes and they were done. Isn't it a blessing to have all these tracks at out disposal today? All these tracks and nothing to record.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 12:56 am    

Thanks David, I thought it might be a long shot. We're lucky to have Buddy's track preserved as it is. And it's a great little song. I might see if I can get my band to record me a version. Smile

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 8:45 am    

Wow, that is a treasure for sure! Thanks for posting!

Kind Regards, Walter