The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Players That Are No Longer With An Artist?
Matthew Begay

Quantico, VA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 9:08 pm    

I'm 19 years old and just this past week I purchased a lot of old Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney concerts on video and the steel players Jim Bob Garrett and Denny Hemingson are freakin amazing! Well, this weekend I decided to see a couple of recent videos from their concerts and I noticed that Jim and Denny are missing. Kenny Chesney doesn't even have a fiddle player anymore from the looks of his latest tour and most of his hits have those licks that can't be accomplished by the screetching guitars :/ Anyone have any ideas why they're not needed anymore? My guess is that they're no longer working because it's just more money in the artists' pocket.

Can you think of anyone else who got the axe?

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 10:39 pm    

I can't speak for those guys, only myself. But in the past when it's happened to me, it was because the music no longer "needed it". They could accomplish all they needed with a screaming guitar player that also plays slide and a keyboard. And I have heard some stories from guys that guy let go because the steel was "boring". The whole band was running wireless and we're up running around and covering the stage but the steel player had to sit in the same spot. They've never seen Chad Udeen play (Gary Allan).

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 3:51 am    

Quote:
Greenberg will join Chesney’s already solid band of musicians, which includes Wyatt Beard (keyboards), Sean Paddock (drums), Steve Marshall (bass), Clayton Mitchell (guitar), Jim Bob Gairrett (steel guitar) and Jon Conley (guitar/fiddle).

Safe! A least for another year.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 7:17 am    

The band Ricochet went through a few changes, because steel guitarist Teddy Carr left because he and his wife were getting ready to welcome their first child. I saw a picture on Instagram a while back that Tim McGraw's guitar player took, and saw Denny playing his Emmons-I think Denny's also playing guitar a little bit, so he might still be with Tim, playing steel and guitar. Last I heard, Jim Bob Gairrett was doing a few shows with Sammy Kershaw. Darryl Worley had a steel player once named Eddie Gossien, but Darryl decided to let Eddie and fiddle player Lee Thomas go around 2005 because Darryl had changed his style a little bit. Ricochet now has another steel player, Larry Hight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger