The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New steel recommendations
Ed Baker

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 7:07 am    

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a new lap steel under $400 these days.

I'd prefer looking at ones with 22.5 inch scale, 6 strings, and no active electronics.

It's hard to find places to look at them in North Eastern Connecticut, so I'm looking for some recommendations here.

thanks
Ed Baker

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 8:02 am    

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EFCL-EBNH1?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&scid=scplpEPI+EFCL+EBNH1&sc_intid=EPI+EFCL+EBNH1&gclid=CM7fmMLF9NICFV2BswodAbUKrQ

Ed Baker

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 10:14 am    

thanks. I'll check that out.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 10:19 am     Re: New steel recommendations

Ed Baker wrote:
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a new lap steel under $400 these days.

I'd prefer looking at ones with 22.5 inch scale, 6 strings, and no active electronics.

Does it have to be new. For that price you could pick up a nice vintage steel that won't immediately be worth half what you paid for it as soon as you get it home and will come with lots of mojo and cool factor.

For example, for that price you could pick up a Gibson BR-9 - a genuine 40s/50s Gibson with a vintage P90 pickup.

Last edited by Jeff Mead on 26 Mar 2017 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ed Baker

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:01 pm    

No. It doesn't have to be new.

I have some minor issues with not being able to check things out in person. But, that can be overcome.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:17 pm    

Just a wee bit more and has that great Pic horseshoe pickup:

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/1957-guitar-lap-steel--rickenbacker-100--49241

Vintage Valco - you'd want to put on a modern 1/4" plug

https://www.elderly.com/instruments/electric-guitars/lap-and-pedal-steels/valco-lap-steel-guitar-1954.htm

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:20 pm    

Just a wee bit moire and has that great Pic horseshoe pickup:

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/1957-guitar-lap-steel--rickenbacker-100--49241

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:41 pm    

I can think of several instruments but you did not mention what you want to play or what your skill level is.
Any additional info would help. (at least for me)
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:49 pm    

Larry Carlson wrote:
I can think of several instruments but you did not mention what you want to play or what your skill level is.

Out of interest, what difference would that information make?

Ed Baker

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 2:06 pm    

I'm a medium skilled player. Been playing pedal steel since 1979, but devoted myself to lap steel primarily 5 years ago or so.

I don't play backup steel, just melodies. I like western swing music and 'great American song book' stuff from the 30s and 40s. I primarily us C6 tuning, but also like mucking around with the Leavitt tuning.

I have a double neck 1954 Stringmaster with a 25" scale. The guitar is pretty beat up but still works well.

I have an el-cheapo Starfire lap steel that I currently use. It has a 25 1/2 inch scale and I put a TV Jones Filterton pickup in it. Sound great, but I want a shorter neck version.

A simple lap steel appeals to me because I can carry around easily and just stand it up next to my desk for quick 'grab it and play it' use with Band-in-a-box, youtube, and Doug Beaumier's songbooks.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 2:25 pm    

You might want to check on Melbert steels...I have one and love it...pretty, sounds great,and very reasonable in price. He is on the forum and once in a while has some "blems" that are a real bargain...but you have to act quickly as they sell really fast. Thats what mine is and everywhere I play it people are impressed with the sound of that little steel...not me, but the steel itself ! I never could find the blemish on it ! Wonderful steels.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 3:47 pm    

I have a Supro with, I think, the same pick up as the steel from Elderly that Andy Volk posted the link for. Lately I can't stop playing that steel! Those pick ups sound amazing!

It gets my vote.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 4:48 pm     Re: New steel recommendations

Jeff Mead wrote:
Does it have to be new. For that price you could pick up a nice vintage steel that won't immediately be worth half what you paid for it as soon as you get it home and will come with lots of mojo and cool factor.

I'm with Jeff and would favor a vintage instrument over a new one in the $400 price range.

Another option, if you're comfortable tinkering, is restoration. Unfortunately, many vintage classic American lap steels have been harvested for their pickups, knobs, tuners, electronic components, etc. With a modicum of effort, these stripped-out guitar bodies can be restored with readily available brand-new parts and components.

I have purchased four donor bodies in the last few years: 1954 Gibson Century; 1956 Gibson Century Deluxe; 1957 Gibson Ultratone; and 1959 Fender Studio Deluxe. The average purchase price of the four bodies was about $230.00.

All were restored with new electronics and high-quality Gotoh tuners to match the original Kluson Deluxes. Appropriate pickups were obtained from Sentell, Vintage Vibe, and Gibson.

All four are now wonderful instruments that play perfectly and sound awesome. The best of both worlds -- authentic patina with mojo a-go-go and reliable modern electronic components. No "relic-ing" needed.

Ed Baker

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:17 am    

Thanks to all for these great suggestions.
I'll be checking in to them.