The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zoom R16 & DAW Software
Charles Kurck

Living in Arkansas but Heaven is home
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 2:06 pm    

After reading Tony Prior’s excellent Zoom R16 recorder review
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=194904&sid=670c189b2c82aa463a94aaddfbe2dbb1
I placed an order with Sweetwater. With no experience at digital recording, the included Steinberg Cubase LE 8 DAW download is a bear of a learning curve for me. I do want pitch correction software and Cubase does not have it. Before I sink more time into learning Cubase, should I jump ship and get a DAW with built-in pitch correction. Will the Zoom R16 work well with most DAW software on the market ? I am looking at PreSonus Studio One 3 Professional (boxed). https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1v3Pbx
I seek advice, opinions, and suggestions.

Regards,
Charles Kurck

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 4:58 pm    

The DAW functions on the R16 and R24 are pretty worthless in my opinion. They are awesome for capturing tracks though. I have used the R24 extensively and it excels at recording tracks either via mic or Di interface. The preamps in the Zoom units are very noisy so with most mic's you will need an external preamp to get a good signal to noise ratio.

I use the Reaper DAW for editing and mastering. It comes with loads of reverbs, compressors, envelope editing and manual and automatic pitch correction. It is missing RMS meters on each channel however.

My process:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 3:29 am    

Everyone has their favorite DAW software. My choice is Sonar. I also have Studio One 3, that I got free with some Presonus hardware, but I don't use it.

Cakewalk Sonar is now owned by Gibson and music electronics GURU Craig Anderton is highly involved.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 2:21 pm    

WOW Charles talk about history ! Laughing

well, here in 2017 I have not used my R16 for a long time. I am now a Pro Tools 12.x user as well, been on PT for 6 years or so. I have 4 active inputs on my PT's system and can go to 8 or 10 if need be.

I currently do not have a purpose for the R16 but will not part with it, because TOMORROW, I might need it ! Even though it's in the box, stored nicely, it is still relevant.
Recording up to 8 tracks to an SD card in wav format is still VERY RELEVANT with any DAW.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Charles Kurck

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 7:51 am    

Greg, Jack, and Tony, thank you for your input. I have ordered Studio One.
After I get the first song mixed, I will try to let you know how it worked out for me.

Regards,
Charles Kurck

Charles Kurck

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 4:09 am    

The first song is not mixed yet but we have installed PreSonus Studio One.
The Zoom R16 does control the faders and we are working our way through Joe Gilder's Studio One tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgtJLQqkPUM

Regards,
Charles Kurck

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 8:39 am    

Charles: "The Zoom R16 does control the faders......"

Just to be clear, are you using the R16 to record, or are you using it as a controller for Studio One?

They are not the same thing.

Charles Kurck

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:09 am    

ajm:

I am using the Zoom R16 as a stand-alone recorder, a SD card reader, an audio interface, and as a fader control surface.
All these features work well with Studio One DAW and my 8 GB RAM computer.

Regards,
Charles Kurck