The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fire Away - Chris Stapleton
Joshua Hicks

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 8:50 am    

Can anyone help me figure out the little diddy on the steel at 1:21 on Chris Stapleton's Fire Away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbjLna3tYhA

Thank you!

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 11:33 am     Fire Away

Hey Josh, I posted about this a couple of months back and got no response so I broke it down myself. It sounds to me like its two steels. I'll send you what I tabbed out once I get home from work this evening.

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 9:36 am     Fire Away Tab

HEY JOSH,

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE. A BUDDY OF MINE HELPED ME FIGURE IT OUT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Joshua Hicks

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 7:24 am    

That did help out thank you for posting this!! I got to playing around with it last night and came up with this version. I'm a little unsure about it ending in D but it sounded pretty close to me. What do you think? I did the tab in excel so it's not the best.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 6:49 pm     fire away

Joshua, I hear the song in the key of A so the solo at the end of the song seems to fade out on Dadd9,Dadd9 could be at the 10th fret strings 5,6,7,8 open... but resolves to A to end...Is that how you play it? I haven't matched my steel up to this recording but played a six string along with it...

A-Esus4-Em7-Dadd9-A-Esus4-Dadd9 (verse)

Bridge=Bm-F#m7-Bm-F#m7-Esus4
("Choose the words"..etc)

I think you could probably play the first 7 or 8 notes of the solo at the 17th fret by doing a classic descending lick beginning on the third string,then first string, then fourth string ,then second string(open) moving on down which might include your 2nd string lower knee lever 1 or 2 half steps,then dropping down to the 4&5 &6 strings at the 17th fret then sliding down to the 12th and completing the lick with the rest of your friends tabs
I hope this helps.
MOST OF THE TABS AND CHORDS ARE IN KEY OF g OR g# ON THE INTERNET THAT I've SEEN
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Joshua Hicks

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 7:10 am    

I went back and played through it yesterday night and see that it is in G and it resolves in C. Like the little progression at the end of the lick is G, D and C. So my tab was off. The chord progression I found is G, D, Em, C G so I am going off of that but it could be in the wrong key. I do understand what you're saying and my explanations may be off haha I'm still new to PSG. I'm going to make a video of me playing tonight and will share the link on here so you guys can see if I get it close. It's a super soulful lick!!

Eric Bird

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 10:10 am     Fire Away

Hey Joshua, I was wondering where you got with this song. I am brand new to pedal steel and would love to find some tab of it or a video explaining how to play it. I absolutely love the pedal steel in this song.

Frederick Krubel

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:53 pm    

The song is in A. My band plays "Parachute" but I play electric guitar on that one, with a pitch shifter down a half step. We need more Stapleton and Sturgill TABs! Very cool and thanks.