The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D'Addario strings on Emmons guitars
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 1:24 am    

I'm of the mindset that we are killing ourselves with angst over strings. Over the past 15 years, I have had 3 different Carter D10's, 3 or 4 different Sho Bud D10's and 4 different Emmons guitars, including 3 that I have now, 2 PPull D10's and a D10 Legrande II. I have used the same string brand on each of the guitars, for a long while they were Cobra's then some John Pearce and recently a mix of Cobra and SIT's. No issues. I grab a set and put them on. The brand name is for the most part irrelevant. There were a few sets of D'Addario and Ernie Ball mixed in as well.

years back I had an issue with Jagwire singles, 11's, I kept breaking the 3rd string each time I wound it up to pitch on my Carter. They were all from the same package and same lot . I chalked it off to just a bad batch at the ball end or whatever. Never had a problem with any set brand or single since. It was a one time occurrence.

Currently have SIT's on the Legrande and Cobras (nickel) on the P Pull's , why ? because thats what I grabbed out of the box !

The S10 Sho Bud that I have for sale also has Cobra's on it.

All of the singles I have are I believe Cobra's, so when I change 3 and 5, any guitar, thats what I use.

over and out

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 9:20 am    

There are differences in tone between the different alloys used on the wound strings. Also, when you switch brands sometimes the core of a wound string will be larger or smaller than the old one, requiring a tuning adjustment at the changer.

But I hear you, Tony. I generally stick with nickel wounds and I don't hear any substantial difference between brands. But then I remember, at this age I can't hear anything above 11 kHz anyway... Oh Well

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 11:19 am    

Would someone please explain what you mean by hex core please. Thought they were round.

You got me beat BoB, about 8 is where I loose it.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 11:39 am    

Hex core has a hexagonal section, with six ribs for the windings to seat in, preventing slippage of the wrapping I think.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 5:47 pm    

What Charlie said...

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 4:32 pm    

I can't wait to try the NYXL's! I got a beta test set of the 6 string version of them a few years back. They do hold up, breakage wise, better that any other string brand that I've used. And they sound great. I've wondered when they were going to do a pedal steel version. Now I know!

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 6:16 pm    

Love the strings , the packaging is a PITA.

Tim Tyner

Ayden, North Carolina U.S.A
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 11:34 am    

I have mainly used nothing but D'Addario on my LeGrande for several years now and very rarely break a third.I like the tone I get with them as well.The packaging really doesn't bother me as changing strings ain't fun regardless of the brand .

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 10:28 am    

Some folks just cannot use a plain 6th string on the E9 so a good single string would be a 21 wound string
The plain 6th string is a problem on a lot of steel guitars.