The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interest in steel reguvenated from the TSGA show
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 6:29 am    

I spent most of my day on Friday in the "Rick Alexander room" at TSGA and came away totally re-newed and re-inspired by what I heard and saw. I go back and forth in my love for the steel guitar and the pedal steel, but listening to all of the talent there was truly inspiring ! I could leave feeling like, "I think I will go home and sell it all" or being inspired and fortunately I take the later approach. Nope, I will never reach the level of Chuck, Margie, Carco, Ivan, Doug, Billy, and all the rest, but I will have fun trying. No point to this post other than to share my enthusiasm for the "real steel"...thats why I want to buy an Excel JB Model...I know it will make me sound like Jerry Smile haha
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 6:37 am    

Brother,
I live the same life. Can't tell you how many times I've "Given Up" just to get inspired by one of these fellas and buy another one. It's a wild world ain't it?
JB

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 8:40 am    

Hi Larry and John,
I know the feeling, but I always remember the expression, "It's not the destination, it's the journey." I love the variety of sounds that the steel guitar can produce, and that love has always inspired me to practice and work up the sounds that I hear. Hope you guys are enjoying the journey.
Chuck

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 2:56 pm    

I'll be driving down the road listening to a steel player in the background and I'll go over and over it in my mind thill I think I know the lick, then I have to buy yet another steel just to prove it to myself.
True story
JB

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 5:57 am    

Larry, I know the feeling. The show, always, inspires me. Not only is it the great playing, by such wonderful players, but those same great players are so helpful and encouraging, as well. They make me want to come home and practice.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 10:10 am    

Quote:
thats why I want to buy an Excel JB Model...I know it will make me sound like Jerry Smile haha

Strictly in the interest of mo' steel mo' faster, I would say it's tonally safe to widen your net a bit. I had one of the Excel JB D-8 models, basically just a pedal steel design but without the extra foofaraw needed to... make pedals work. That's what it sounded like, too. But I "need" ten strings. And now I have a "Pedalmaster" ...ummm, NON-pedal D-10, which is basically just a pedal steel design but without the extra foofaraw needed to... make pedals work. And that's what it sounds like, too! Very Happy Wonders never cease....