The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  question about JBL in Peavey amps
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 1:08 pm    

Does anyone use a JBL K130 in their Peavey steel amp (NV400, maybe others)?

My K130 is 8-ohms, and I know many of the Peavey amps call for a 4-ohm speaker. I also know that there's nothing wrong with loading an 8-ohm speaker into those amps, you just get a reduction in available power.

But, and here's the question, the K130 is so efficient (103 db SPL rating), that I'm thinking it would be louder than many 4-ohm speakers in those amps. Right? Anyone tried it?

James Phillips

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 5:48 pm    

If you already have the speaker, there's no harm in trying it .
However; keep in mind that JBL's are out of phase with most speakers ,meaning the red terminal is negative and the black is the positive . So when you hook it up ; hook it back asswards, if you want it to push ,like everyone else's speakers.

"Let the Bridges We Burn Light the Way"

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 6:04 pm    

I've had a K130-4 re coned to 8 ohms in my LTD for many years, and you'll never know the difference.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 9:19 pm    

Early JBL's were very conservative on their ohms and they were typically lower than listed which from what I've read was intentional so they would be louder compared to other brands. I've noticed a bit less volume using 8 ohm JBL's as opposed to other 4 ohm speakers including JBL so it's been my experience that an 8 ohm JBL isn't louder than another brand 4 ohm. But as you're already aware, turn the volume up a bit and you'll never notice the difference.

As to negative vs positive terminals...it makes absolutely no difference. Connecting the positive to red and negative to black will have the exact same performance and power rating. This would only apply when two or more speakers are used for the same amp such as a fender twin. Having two speakers moving the same direction at the same time is the goal. Opposite directions will cause a host of problems in tone and it will confuse your hearing. I've used JBL's for years and I always connect red to positive and black to negative and it works fine. It only determines which direction the speaker will move first.
Dave

James Phillips

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 7:09 pm    

David Higginbotham wrote:

As to negative vs positive terminals...it makes absolutely no difference. Connecting the positive to red and negative to black will have the exact same performance and power rating. This would only apply when two or more speakers are used for the same amp such as a fender twin. Having two speakers moving the same direction at the same time is the goal. Opposite directions will cause a host of problems in tone and it will confuse your hearing. I've used JBL's for years and I always connect red to positive and black to negative and it works fine. It only determines which direction the speaker will move first.
Dave

Yep the "tone problems " are called phase cancellation. Hook up an extension cab that's not loaded with a JBL ,and you could experience them first hand. Proactive , I feel to wire your speakers to push ,like most everyone else's.

"Let the Bridges We Burn Light the Way"

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 10:22 am    

James you're 100% correct. I know very little about electronics except what I'm told by the manufacture. I have 2, 4 ohm Weber Neodymium JBL D130 Clones in my Rick Johnson cabs. Mr. Weber told me in a phone conversation a few years ago when I bought my very first JBL Clone 12" Neodymium speaker from him for my Nashville112. That all the guitarist asked him to keep his Weber Neo JBL clones as close to original as possible. So he kept the wiring the same as well, which is "backasswards" so guitarist could simply field swap them out. These Webers' are sadly no longer available to the public. I own several JBL speakers including the D & K series. These Weber D130 Clones are as good or better, then the original. Simply a great product. Yup I wire'em "backasswards" like I was told.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 2:25 pm    

Tommy asked:
Quote:
But, and here's the question, the K130 is so efficient (103 db SPL rating), that I'm thinking it would be louder than many 4-ohm speakers in those amps. Right? Anyone tried it?

Pretty simple question that didn't refer to phasing of multiple speakers. James' answer was the same answer I gave just worded differently. There isn't an actual positive and negative polarity. Just opposites! It only applies as to which way the speaker moves. Forward or backward. The color coded polarity applies only if more than one speaker is used which had nothing to do with the original question. The single speaker will sound the same regardless of which wire is connected to positive or negative.

I'm certain I've read the reason JBL did the opposite colors but I don't remember the reason. I do remember they underrated the power of their speakers to be louder than competitors speakers as a marketing tool. Here is what Brad Sarno posted several years back regarding polarity:

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 3:20 pm    

Weber still offers the JBL clone with the neo magnet.
https://www.tedweber.com/neomag12

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 4:34 pm    

Sadly, I'm done with JBL's in my Session 400. I just blew the second recone. Stinks because it's absolutely the sweetest sounding speaker I've ever heard, just can't handle the power.
Trying to figure out which neo to go with.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 7:15 pm    

The Sica sounds real sweet.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:32 pm    

I installed a JBL E-130, 8 Ohm in my Nashville 400 about 20 yrs ago. I never really noticed that much of a loss in volume. Granted, I never had to crank it that loud anyway. But, it did and has performed flawlessly, especially, after I installed the John LeMay, Miracle Audio Mod. I also played with the polarity of the speaker wires and never noticed a difference, either. Having said that, it did make the amp a little heavier, but, it was worth it. It is now my stay at home practice amp.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 2:38 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
The Sica sounds real sweet.

Lane, what's the model number of the Sica that you like?

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 3:54 am    

John,
I also had a JBL E series in a Nash 400 (until it got stolen). Sounded really good and way more robust than the E/K series, but there's something about those alnico magnets that are magical. And fragile!

Lane, I'm going to give the 350 watt Sica a spin. I tried the 250w in a Nash 400 and thought it sounded lifeless, but I hear the higher powered on has more highs.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 8:28 am    

Ask Tim Marcus. I bought it used from him. It's in a closed-back cab so reading it off would be difficult.
It's possible Greg Leisz left some tone in it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 9:11 am    

If I remember right, I read that the Peavey Black Widow was designed to sound like the JBL speaker but with the ability to handle more power as players were blowing their JBLs.

John De Maille

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 11:52 am    

Man, you've got to play mighty loud to blow a good JBL up.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 12:57 pm    

What were those JBLs rated for, 40 watts?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 12:47 pm    

John De Maille wrote:
Man, you've got to play mighty loud to blow a good JBL up.

I blew up several good D-130s in my old Evans amp, but we did play loudly.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 4:56 pm    

Supposedly the whole reason Peavey developed the Black Widow was that the JBL's kept blowing in the Session 400

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 7:11 pm    

Glad to see Weber is back to offering the D120 JBL Neo. It worked dandy in my Nashville 112. JBL Rules

John De Maille

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 8:43 pm    

Well, I guess I never had to play that loud in a country band. Now, in the old days, I blew up a mess of speakers. Jensen's, Scorpians, Celestians, stock Fenders, none held up well for me. The only speakers that worked OK for me in my Twin were Altec Lansings. I guess I'm not pushing my steel amps hard enough!
However, I did play through Sneaky Pete's Sessions one night and I nearly got blown off my seat, with how loud they were. Two 400's directly behind me was the largest wall of sound I ever heard!

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 9:06 pm    

Harvey Gerst (JBL designer) said that the JBL D130 was good for 35 to 60 watts, depending on style. These speakers were rated at 103 db SLP/1w/1 meter. Using 50 watts as a median, that would equate to 120 db SPL. DAMN THAT'S LOUD!! No doubt you could blow them up with a 200 watt amp like a PV Session or NV400, but your ears must be SCREECHING!!