The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Poll/Survey: Do you stretch your strings?
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 5:47 am    

Do you stretch your strings when you put them on?

Or do you put them on, tune them up, and play them, letting them stretch out on their own?

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 6:13 am     Re: Poll/Survey: Do you stretch your strings?

ajm wrote:
Do you stretch your strings when you put them on?

Or do you put them on, tune them up, and play them, letting them stretch out on their own?

Where is the polling log? But yes, I stretch them.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 6:57 am     Re: Poll/Survey: Do you stretch your strings?

Gary Watkins wrote:
...yes, I stretch them.

Me too.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 7:15 am    

Only the 3rd, SLOWLY ... from a distance cause it scars me LOL
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 7:47 am    

No, it takes about 3 times with keys to bring up to pitch where they stay. Why would I want to ruin a new string, lol

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 8:35 am    

I do.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 8:39 am    

Buddy felt that stretching wound strings definitely shortened their life, and told me so.

My reply was "Oh, really? So now you're a metallurgist, huh?"

Laughing

But no, I don't stretch my strings. I let the process occur organically.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:09 am    

No, not really. Kind of what Herb and Henry say.

Exception might be the E9th 3rd. It's the last to be tuned up when changing sets...Either way, if just replacing it, I tend to tune it up unison with string 1 F#, just so I can hear the pitch, then to G and finally to G# with some pedaling between notes.

If the string is any good, it will go to required pitch with no problem. No amount of coddling will make a difference with breakage.

If one breaks while playing a gig, I just crank it up there and tweak it while it stretches during playing.

Only stretching I do for all strings is what comes from actuating the pedals and levers letting them settle in.

I tried the suggestion of pulling up on the string to stretch it years ago, but abandoned that rather quickly.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:43 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
No, it takes about 3 times with keys to bring up to pitch where they stay. Why would I want to ruin a new string, lol

I think I feel the same way.

Steve Knight

NC
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:43 am    

I stretch the strings when changing them on all my stringed instruments. I think it helps them settle on the tuners so they'll stay in tune.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 10:02 am    

No stretching. No problems...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 10:06 am    

Yes.

Buddy did stretch strings. I was at a Seminar in (I think) Iola Kansas in late 70's that Scotty put on and he had Buddy with him. I watched Buddy tune up and one thing he did was stretch the wound strings on his C6th neck during tuning.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 22 Mar 2017 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 10:07 am    

If I'm on a gig, I do. Can,t afford to have it going out of tune until it naturally settles in from pedal use. If I am changing a set of strings, I try to change them no later than the day before I need to gig. And the third string, I only tune to F# at first, tug on it once or twice, let it set, bring it up to G, tug a couple times, let it set over night, then take it up to G#. I had a really bad episode when I was changing a third string, it breaking and hitting me in the face. So, I'm a little gun shy. That happened probably 30 years, or more ago.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 11:06 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Yes.

Buddy did stretch strings. I was at a Seminar in (I think) Iola Kansas in late 70's that Scotty put on and he had Buddy with him. I watched Buddy tune up and one thing he did was stretch the wound strings on his C6th neck during tuning.

I didn't say he never stretched the strings, I just said he told me that he felt it shortened their life. Wink If I'm changing my strings just before a show, I stretch them out of necessity myself.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 11:13 am    

I use to stretch them...

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 12:52 pm    

I always use an old Fender string stretcher. I've had it for 40 years. Does a great job of gently stretching the strings as you slide it up and down the string. I NEVER grab a string in the middle and pull on it! That creates a weak spot in the string.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 4:40 pm     Stretch Um

I give them all a good tug at least 3 times while I bring them into tune. Took a while to get them to stay in tune if I did not stretch them.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 4:49 pm    

FWIW, I found this tip from Del Mullen re: forming the string to the roller to be helpful and help the string to settle in faster. http://www.mullenguitars.com/guitar-tips.htm#String%20Tip

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 2:13 am    

Herb, Buddy was stretching existing strings, not new ones. He loosened them, stretched them (at least what I thought he was doing) and then tuned up. Just wanted to comment about seeing Buddy do it.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 4:34 am    

I push on the pedals and levers a few times after I put strings on. There is so much tension on the strings already I haven't found that yanking on them by hand helps anything.

I wonder if pulling on the strings by hand might put an uneven stress on them and mess them up a little ?

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 6:14 am    

I stretch them, starting with the 4th string. The first 3 scare me, because I've been cut by one whipping back at my hand. For these I just use the pedal or lever a couple of times because they're already pretty tight.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 7:37 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Herb, Buddy was stretching existing strings, not new ones. He loosened them, stretched them (at least what I thought he was doing) and then tuned up. Just wanted to comment about seeing Buddy do it.

Before a show, I saw Buddy loosen, stretch, and pop his low wound strings like a bow. He said it was to get rid of the crud between the windings and liven them up.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 8:15 am    

Stretching" strings is a very dumb thing to do. What you are doing is pulling the windings apart the reason strings sound dead and won't stay in tune. Strings are fragile items even though they are made of steel. Buddy was certainly correct...

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 10:50 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
FWIW, I found this tip from Del Mullen re: forming the string to the roller to be helpful and help the string to settle in faster. http://www.mullenguitars.com/guitar-tips.htm#String%20Tip
I have done that on low (especially the extended low) strings for decades, as it really works to make them settle quickly. High strings settle well without any stretching, although I do have a habit of tuning most high strings about a quarter note too high at first while working the pedals/levers, and then back them down to correct pitch.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 11:56 am     strings

I change them out

pedal all the changes and knee levers

a few times then I let the guitar sit overnight

next day I pitch um up pedal um and tune um

mike Very Happy