The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian Guitar on Oahu?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 7:16 am    

Hello all;
We will be visiting Oahu in August. I would appreciate any information you may have about live music venues featuring Steel Guitar. After 40 years of marriage my wife and I are finally traveling to Hawaii!

Will be staying at The Outrigger hotel on Waikiki beach, and will mostly do all the touristy stuff during the day.

Are there any Jam sessions? or Steel Guitar Groups that meet?

Thanks in advance; ALOHA
Dom Franco

Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 10:08 am    

Last I checked the Halekulani (next door to the outrigger) has Hiram Olson trio play Friday and Saturday nights I thing 5:30-8:30pm. That's a start.

Former Member

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 11:29 am    

Dom,
Please go to this website:
http://www.kekulamele.com/
on the contact page is Alan Akaka's school Ph.#
Give him a call, tell him who you are, and about your lap steel playing. He might want you to come in to teach a lesson! Kumu Alan is one of the greatest people I've ever met.
If I remember right, the Outrigger has Dukes restaurant in the back of the lobby. Alan's group used to play there, don't know if they are still. August is a little way off.
And on the other side of the Outrigger, sits the beautiful and historic Moana hotel. (Moana Surfrider now), where Hawaii Calls radio show was broadcast, and Robert Louis Stevenson sat under the giant Banyan tree and wrote Kidnapped, so the story goes..
have a great time!!

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 1:51 pm    

The Hawes Inn (1793) from which David Balfour was "Kidnapped" about 6 miles from me.

James Kerr

Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 1:57 pm    

The Halekulani Hotel is a couple doors down from Duke's and is a 5 star hotel. Hence, they tend to bring in nothing but quality acts. Like Loren said that would be a start.

Bobby Ingano plays at Dot's in Wahiawa. That's about an hour north and a used to be rowdy town. Respect for the locals is conventional wisdom. Spend the day on the north shore and Haleiwa if you go up, then Wahiawa is only about 10 minutes from the beach.

There is kick ass non-steel Hawaiian music all around Waikiki. Some is old time, some contemporary and a lot is Hawaiian raygay I mean reggae. Duke's caters to supporting local musicians with multiple gigs every day.

Be diligent with your research for not all the best acts are the most highly advertised.
As Ron said above Alan would be a good man to start a conversation with. I heard they just discontinued his long running weekly Waikiki gig so I think he travels more often now. But you might get lucky and catch him in action.

Have fun!

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 7:30 am    

Loren Tilley wrote:
Last I checked the Halekulani (next door to the outrigger) has Hiram Olson trio play Friday and Saturday nights I thing 5:30-8:30pm. That's a start.

Is casey Olson still playing steel for them?

Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 8:24 am    

Last time I went it was Jeff Au Hoy. Not sure if it was just filling in or not.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 9:30 pm    

Loren Tilley wrote:
Last time I went it was Jeff Au Hoy. Not sure if it was just filling in or not.

Sounds like a win/win either way!

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:31 pm     Steel in Hawaii

Very Happy Bobby Ingano plays at the La Mariana Sailing Club on Tuesday nights.
It's almost straight from the old Southseas movies. You might even see the ghosts of Bogart, Greenstreet or Lorre there.

Have fun.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:54 pm     steel in Oahu

Smile August is 4+ months from now so a lot of things can change. However, when I checked with Jeff Au Hoy on January 16, 2017 he gave me this info.
He plays on Tuesday nights at the Halekalani.
On Friday and Sunday he plays at the new Four Seasons Resort which he says is way out west and almost to Nanakuli.
On Wednesday he plays at the Imua Lounge from 10PM to 1AM.
I would check these places before going there.
By August, he may not be at any of them.
Good Luck Cool
I planned to go to Hawaii for a month in April/May but the Japanese Golden Week screwed that plan up as they take up all the rooms etc.

Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 1:56 am    

Some good info. I have cousins I stay with over there and always looking for a night out when I go.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 6:34 am    

Thank you all for the info! As was said before, August is a few months away. I'll post more and check back again a few weeks before our trip to get more current information.
Dom

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:44 pm    

Hello Hawaii here were come!
We are going to stay at the Outrigger on the Beach for 8 days starting this Saturday, August 5th.
Does anybody have current information on where I can hear some live steel guitar in or around Waikiki this week?

Are there any local jam sessions, or open mic nights?

Thanks
Dom

Peter Garellick

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 8:23 am    

Aloha e Dom!

There are several regular jam sessions (kani kapila) that happen within walking distance of the Outrigger.

Every Thursday and Sunday night from 8:00-10:00 pm, behind the police kiosk on Kuhio beach, just on the Diamond Head side of the Moana Surfrider Hotel. It's a fun, friendly group of locals and visitors, lots of hula. A wonderful fella named Leonard Jenkins hosts that. Just show up! You will need an acoustic steel or small battery amp if you are bringing an electric. Tell them Peter says Aloha!

On Wednesday at 12:00 noon, Auntie Wainani hosts a little 1 hour kani at the Royal Grove of the Royal Hawaiian Center. Mostly ukuleles in that one, she will be happy if you play steel. Give her my love also.

As far as hearing steel, people gave good suggestions.

Alan Akaka plays regularly on Friday nights at Duke's restaurant in your hotel. Do contact him, super nice guy.

Jeff Au Hoy usually plays on Tuesday from 6:30-7:30 at the free Hula show on Kuhio Beach. He's an awesome steel player and he actually dances a lot in that show! There are also shows there Thursday and Saturday at 6:30 with different groups.

The Kani Ka Pila Grille and The Halekulani have live music nightly. May or may not have steel, but excellent musicians for sure.

The Royal Hawaiian Center has almost nightly free shows, from famous names to up-and-comers.

Google or facebook Bobby Ingano, Greg Sardinia, Alan Akaka, and any other steel players to see if they are playing this week.

Have a great time! Waikiki is the place to be to hear and see Hawaiian music and hula.

Aloha, Peter

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 5:27 pm     Music in Hawaii

Very Happy
See my previous post. Bobby is still at Dot's Drive In on Monday
nights and at the La Mariana Sailing Club on Tuesday nights. Tell Bobby that "Pops" says Hi.
And don't forget to try to spot Bogart, Greenstreet, Dorothy and the rest of the Southseas bunch.[url]
[/url]

William Rosen

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 8:30 pm    

I heard that there is a kanikapila in the lobby of the Royal Grove Hotel on Monday nights. I don't know this for sure.

Bill Rosen
Seattle

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 11:07 am    

Peter;
Thank you for the information about the Jam behind the police station. It was a blast. many of the songs were new to me, and in the Hawaiian language but I just followed the uke chords. Before the Jam I met the bass player, we had a wonderful conversation about Hawaii and the steel guitar. Then he told me that his uncle was Billy Hew Len!

BILLY HEW LEN'S nephew on bass!

at this Kani Kapila as in most jam sessions, everyone around the circle get to lead a song, I led Pearly shells and Little grass shack as well as taking solos on most of the tunes.

I am planning to attend the Thursday evening jam at the same place. as well as the Noon at the Royal Hawaiian.

We are loving Hawaii and also seeing all the tourist sites on Oahu.

Dom

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 12:23 pm    

Go Dom Go! I was stationed there in the early 60's. Bought my first guitar just like the one in the next message.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Peter Garellick

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 10:40 pm    

Aloha Dom,

Sounds like you are having a good time...Oahu and Waikiki certainly have a certain magic Smile

Glad I could help, it's a nice group of people there. I was there for most of June and July, playing an acoustic resonator guitar.

Bet you wont wanna go home!

Peter

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 8:16 am    

That sounds like a wonderful trip ! Lots of great experiences...thanks for sharing the picture too. Very nice ! I am sure they are enjoying your talents as well !
I am envious ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 10:26 am     La Mariana

Smile Did you get to the La Mariana Sailing Club? If not,-
you missed a good chance of being transported back to the era of the Southseas movies.

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 11:43 am    

Dom,
I, along with many others, have enjoyed the posts of your playing on the Forum. It's so nice to see that you've visited Hawaii and had the chance to sit in with with so many Island players. I'm sure they were impressed with your playing and your home build 13 string guitar.
Keith.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 12:50 pm    

Keith, thanks for the kind words. I'm having a great time in the islands. My 13 string steel is nice but heavy and I can play just about every thing needed for Hawaiian music on 6 strings. I do love having the full 7th and diminished chords on it though. Aloha Dom

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 3:50 pm    

Dom, how long will you be there?

I missed this thread when you started it last March. I'm surprised you didn't do a search, there have been a number of threads on the subject in the past couple years.

I saw Bobby Ingano play with his trio when I was on Oahu last November and posted about it here. If you are still in Hawaii at the beginning of next week, it's a regular gig on Monday evenings.

The venue is Dot's Restaurant in Wahiawa Town, going up the center of the island - a fairly easy drive from Waikiki. Bobby was fantastic, and everyone there was incredibly nice to us haoles. A place where locals gather to hear real Hawaiian music.

http://www.dotswahiawa.com/

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 4:56 pm     Royal Hawaiian Center Kani Kapila

Auntie Wainani's weekly Wednesday noon Kani.