The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remote Re-Amper
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 5:18 am    

There is a thread in Electronics about DIs, and it reminded me of a product I ran into on a session a few weeks ago that I thought was pretty cool, the Radial SGI Re-amper:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGI

I suppose this product has been around a while, but I'd never seen it before. The advantage of this setup is that it is a TX/RX pair, with a Lo-Z link, so you can record with your guitar out in the studio or wherever, and have your amp literally 100' or more away in some iso space with no loss or excessive loading due to long cables. You just connect the two interfaces with a normal XLR cable. In the photo you can see the output of the SGI TX box was just a mic cable connected to the patch panel in the back, and then they picked up the signal in the amp iso room out of another panel. Pretty slick.. It also has some adjustable 'smart' loading circuitry called 'Drag' on the TX end that supposedly loads the guitar PU as if it was plugged into an amp. I didn't adjust it on the session, but I was perfectly happy with my sound, and it 'felt' like I was plugged directly into the amp. I have used DIs that seemed to suck all the body out of my tone, this one didn't.

I think I'm going to buy a set. My home studio situation would benefit from being able to get an amp in a completely different location for absolute iso, and this product makes that much easier.

What it doesn't say is whether the Lo-Z output from the TX side could also be used as a DI to a console. I couldn't find that question answered anywhere, but it seems like the 'Drag' feature could be desirable in that application too.