The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  80's era sho-buds
Charles Bell

Earlysville, VA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 1:33 pm    

i have a 77 pro II custom with double raise double lower changer, two-hole pullers. i love the sound of that guitar so much that i am thinking of getting another sho-bud..the main complaint i have about mine is the pedal spacing. i'm sure the pedals on the later guitars are closer together. i do have a couple qusetions about the later ones, though. what are the differences between a super pro and say a pro II on a small cabinet with super pro mechanics? and what about pot metal parts, is that really a problem? the only pot metal on mine is the plated changer fingers, so far hasn't been a problem...

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 6:19 pm    

Yes sir pot metal is a problem.. I had a late &0 early 80 Super-Pro and I broke a knee lever bracket in the middle of a gig... I ended up contacting Michael Yahl and purchased new brackets made out of T6061 aircraft aluminum.... I tend to stay away from Sho-Bud after they were bought out by Gretsch and moved the plant to Arkansas... I know alot of forumites will curse me but I had at different times owned the Gretsch Sho-Bud and both should have been a boat anchor... IMHO the best Sho-Buds were built on Broadway in Nashville... JMHO.... Slim

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 5:40 am    

One difference between a Super Pro and a Pro II of the same era is that the Pro II, like yours, has a 3/4" height difference between the necks, while the Super Pro has a 1/4" difference, like most modern steels.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 7:05 pm    

Sho~Bud, just as Emmons, will always have that recognizable tone, no matter what year or model...they are great guitars..I played almost every model Sho~Bud in my life, and I used an 80's Super Pro on the road for a few years... I have never broke anything on any Sho~Bud guitars I had, pot or not...

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 1:46 am    

I have a Sho-Bud S12, I got in the mid 70's...tear drop knee levers,double raise and just a single lower...big pedals. Was converted to a universal. Was burnt in a house fire and rebuilt, new neck etc ...still plays well and sounds sweet. Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 6:07 am    

We all have our favorites! I have owned and played all eras of Buds. I happen to LOVE the 80's Super Pro era the best. Yes, you should change out the pot metal on the knee lever brackets. That is the only issue I have had, and had it one time only. I own 3 Super Pros, I have replaced the Knee lever brackets on all of them, never a problem since. Also this era is much lighter and compact than the old models. I have not had any "wear" issues with the changers either. However I rotated playing these 3 guitars for the last 20 years. And no longer play out only on rare occasion.
Good luck with whatever you play, just keep playing and keep this fabulous instrument called pedal steel guitar alive!!!!
The best to all,
Sincerely......Neil

Charles Bell

Earlysville, VA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 2:25 am    

i'm curious also how the 80's ones are in regards to mechanical?tuning stability? this '77 model i mentioned earlier, while i REALLY love it, is the only guitar that has failed badly enough that i couldn't use it for a show..far from home on a three week tour..luckily the guy doing the other leg of the tour had his steel in the trailer. that said, i don't feel like i could trust this guitar to use for traveling anymore..great for at home and local/regional stuff where i carry it myself, but 3 or 4 weeks jouncing down the road all day, in and out of a trailer every night; are the newer ones any better at that kind of thing?