The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Bud Carter Treasure
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 7:33 am    

A long time friend bought this by today after digging out of his closet. Of course it is a Cassette but still plays well with good sound. Going to preserve it and put on CD. Have no clue when it was recorded but I would guess around mid eighty's. The only known recording that I know of Bud Carter. The staff musicians were all top notch of that day and time. My friend tells me he got this from Bud himself many years ago and this was made after some jingles they had done for a commercial and the studio still had paid recording time left so this is what they did. I once asked Bud what kind of guitar he played and he said a BITZS. So I asked what is that and he said a little Bit of this and a little Bit that,ha! J.R. Rose

Michael Dulin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 6:35 am     bud

I also have this tape. I got it from Bud himself and he told me I think, it was a B6 or Bb6 tuning of some sort on the guitar.MD

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 1:11 pm    

Download Audacity Free into your computer. It is safe.
get a cord with 1/8 male plug on each end.
Put one end into the rear of the PC
and the other end in the speaker hole in the cassette player and download to Audacity.
Then you can load back to a CD through your CD Drive.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 1:21 pm    

Hey Mike, Do you know what year? Thanks, J.R.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 9:05 am    

Hey Paul, Thanks for that tip. I think I do understand.
I will have to try it. But I do have a pretty nice CD recorder that I patch cord the cassette player too and it does a good job. I used to have a Boom Box that played a cassette and could record to a CD but it got fried. They don't make them anymore. Thanks Again, J.R.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 3:22 pm    

Bud was and is a treasure in himself. One of my most favorite memories of him was at one of our shows (Okla. SGA) he had an afternoon set. Everyone was noticing his guitar, it was a 12 string Sho-Bud body, MSA pedals, his own creation of a changer. During his set, a rod became disconnected, as the band played on, he slipped of his seat, crawled under the guitar and reconnected the rod. After his set was over, Bobbe Seymour came up with a medium size "True Value" logo sticker, walked up before he came off stage and stuck it over the Sho-Bud decal. He and everyone the in house roared with laughter til our sides hurt. This didn't phase Bud a bit. When asked, he did comment that the guitar had "a little bit of everything in it". It sounded great and his playing was outstanding.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 5:52 pm    

Thanks John for this story. Bud was a MASTER at his craft and a great picker plus a FINE GENTLEMAN. It is so SAD that he has never been given the credit he deserves. J.R. Rose

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 6:52 pm    

never cared for Carter guitars....until one night I saw Wayne Dahl down town Nashville playing his Carter... that guitar had a better tone then many "popular" steels.... the best deal out there...you can get a great Carter for +/- couple grand, and it will play and sound better then that $6000 guitar sitting on the stage next to you....