The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel with Alison Krauss
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 9:02 am    

Alison Krauss did a cover of a Willie Nelson song, "I Never Cared For You", on the Late Show Monday, with pedal steel in her band. Steel didn't solo, but very tasteful fills. Anyone know who?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPguUWQlMKQ

Also check out the absolutely perfect guitar solo. (Who?)

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 9:51 am    

His name is Spanish Progression. Sorry, just trying to be funny.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 9:58 am    

Great band, eh?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 11:27 am    

Like everything Alison does, that Colbert appearance was top drawer.

I can't place that steel player either.

I went to one of local Target stores on release day last Friday and purchased the Target Exclusive edition of the CD. I'm a big supporter of our last remaining local record store, but I went the Target route for this album because there are six additional tracks. Two that were recorded at the DAR Constitution Hall in D.C., and four live versions of the songs that appear on the regular CD. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but I am liking what I have heard.

In the Colbert performance I spot James Mitchell on electric guitar, and long-time friends of Alison, Suzanne & Sidney Cox on background vocals. Two members of Union Station: Barry Bales on bass and Ron Block on acoustic guitar.

The CD is loaded with steel - it's on every track - don't see that very often anymore. Mike Johnson is the main guy. He is on 8 of the 10 studio session tracks. Tommy White is on the other two.

Mike also plays on the four live tracks recorded at the Franklin Theater in Franklin, TN.

On the two tracks recorded in D.C., Greg Leisz is on pedal and lap steel. A big reason I wanted the Target Edition is one of the bonus tracks is Rodney Crowell's "Till I Gain Control Again." One of my favorite songs he has ever written and of course Emmylou recorded her well known version back in the '70s. Even though it's not on the "regular" album it is probably my favorite track so far.

Dan Tyminski supplies some background vocals on the CD, but conspicuous in his absence is the fifth member of Union Station, Jerry Douglas. Even though the "steel section" is being held down by pedal guitars to get that Nashville sound, I figured Jerry would be on at least a couple numbers with dobro and/or lap steel. But he's nowhere to be found on this record.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 11:44 am    

Thanks, Mark.

That's not Greg on steel on the TV spot, is it? I'm afraid I don't know what he looks like.

I'm waiting for my CD from Amazon; I believe mine will be the extended version.

Tommy sounds wonderful on that lovely old pop song 'All Alone Am I'. I loved it by Brenda Lee when I was a youngster (lots of teenage angst!) but Alison's is so pure.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 1:24 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
A big reason I wanted the Target Edition is one of the bonus tracks is Rodney Crowell's "Till I Gain Control Again." One of my favorite songs he has ever written and of course Emmylou recorded her well known version back in the '70s. Even though it's not on the "regular" album it is probably my favorite track so far.

I know this is off-topic here (but hey, it's my topic!), but anyone who's not familiar with Albert Lee's version of this song on his Heartbreak Hill album, I highly recommend giving it a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjrA9oWktj8
Buddy Emmons's solo is one of my favorites of his ever--and that's really saying something!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 1:39 pm    

And Albert almost replicates the solo he played on Rodney Crowell's version some years earlier.

Albert and the Big 'E' - there's a couple of guys with some tricks up their sleeves.

Whoa!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 2:04 pm    

In this discussion,
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=313047

the steel player is id'd as Bobby Terry. A quick look on facebook confirms it.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 2:10 pm    

Oh--and yes, what an outstanding ensemble!

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 2:13 pm     Steel player

Yes I know who he is, his name is Bobby Terry and he is a big name in Nashville for his recording studio and his ability to play anything very good!
Dale

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 2:39 pm    

Credit must also go to legendary producer Buddy Cannon for this outstanding album.

Back to "Till I Gain Control Again" for a minute. The live performance in D.C. (2015) was lifted from what became a TV broadcast and DVD that was a tribute to Emmylou.

Here it is, and Roger you can see Greg Leisz on his Williams and listen to the excellent job he did on the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPexiProLhs

For the Target Exclusive version of the CD they did some "enhancing" in the studio afterwards. Greg adds a little bit of lap steel, and there are some additional vocals from Melonie Cannon who is the daughter of Buddy Cannon.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 2:49 pm    

Thanks, Mark - excellent.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 4:39 pm    

Thanks, What a great performance by Allison and Greg!

One of my favorite albums growing up was Jerry Jeff Walker's 'Contrary to Ordinary' where he sang Rodney's great song 'Till I Gain Control Again' and the title song, I think Leo LeBlanc played steel on that album, for a kid from Jersey, that was the bomb.

Allison's version is spot on and has the same feel as the one I grew up on, a timeless classic. Greg Leisz is so darn good, great to see them playing together!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 8:00 am    

Bobby Terry is one of those freaks of nature that plays every instrument exceptionally well and is a fine producer, too. I have records where he played everything and it sounds like a band playing together. He plays acoustic guitar on the Allison record. When he was young growing up in Houston he took lessons from Jeff Peterson (Clint Black's steel player) before he was a teenager.. Nice guy, too!

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 8:29 am    

Guys, I can't take it anymore - she spells it with only one "L" - Alison. Wink

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 8:36 am    

Smile
I have an English pal who insists on spelling it 'Jerry Reid'!

Drives me crazy!

I love Alison's work - I always have. A true child prodigy who more than fulfilled that early promise.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 3:05 pm    

I gotta say it's pretty rare when I get flat out, knocked down, blown away, can't pry it out of my player stunned by a record, but the new Alison Krauss sure did it! Exquisite production by Buddy Cannon, amazing sonics by Gary Paczosa, uber tasteful steel by Mike Johnson and Tommy White along with superb musicianship (John Hobbs is a standout), and of course, Alison. If you wonder what the angels sound like in heaven, they sound a lot like this! Don't miss this one!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 10:23 pm    

That's a full-on Latin music backup. Samba? Bossa Nova? I don't know them well enough to say... just to be geeky, the headstock on the "tele" looks a whole lot like the US Custom Guitar cut, which likely ID's it as a Bill Crook or Ron Kirn custom.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 8:13 am    

One of my favorite songs on the record is "All Alone Am I" that features Matt Rollins on piano and Tommy White on steel with a gorgeous string section. Tommy plays a beautifully simple solo that so fluently speaks the language of the song. My favorite kind of playing... Mike Johnson is absolutely in the zone, too. Just great playing all around!

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 9:00 am    

Right on John, that Tommy White solo is superb. Matt Rollings - I'm a huge Mark Knopfler guy and along with Matt playing with other frontmen (Lyle Lovett for one) is a member of MK's touring band - tremendous keyboard player.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 10:14 am    

Alison and company was on one of the morning network shows today. Brief interview, 2 numbers and part of another. A bit of a departure for her, but she definitely has the roots, the reverence, and the pipes to pull it off.

Sparse, but nice Mullen pedal steel fills, etc., great back up band and vocalists. Breath of fresh air.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 4:51 pm    

I grew up on the Johnny and Jack version of "Poison Love" I must say that Alison's version was a breath of fresh air. Delightful!
Mike Johnson, thanks for some great pickin'.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 6:10 am    

I noticed something on this CD, the newest copyright date of all the songs is 1985, the oldest is 1951. Conclusion: The best Country music was written a long time ago. Smile
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 11:49 am    

AMEND Darvin, J.R.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 9:18 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:
Dan Tyminski supplies some background vocals on the CD, but conspicuous in his absence is the fifth member of Union Station, Jerry Douglas. Even though the "steel section" is being held down by pedal guitars to get that Nashville sound, I figured Jerry would be on at least a couple numbers with dobro and/or lap steel. But he's nowhere to be found on this record.

It is possible that the Jerry Douglas train has left Union Station. His new band, The Earls Of Leicester, are probably occupying most of his current effort.