The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gary Carter. With Marty or Connie
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:17 pm    

Quote:
The steel is setup in the back ground and can be clearly seen at 2:07.

Yep, you're right, Tom. Just a testament to how careless my eyes are getting along with my ears at 73. Oh Well

Bill, please don't misconstrue my remarks as any kind of a diss on Marty. He's a legend in his own time and deservedly so IMO. Cool

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:51 pm    

Amen Henry. I have seen a number of steel players be spot lighted. Ralph Mooney, Norman Hamlett, Hank Sr.'s steel man, can't remember his name now, Bud Issac (sp?)
and another gentleman, just can't remember name. And Chris Scuggs,(sp?) no pedals but plays very well. Marty loves Pedal Steel Guitar from everything I have ever read. Randy with Lea Ann Womack. Paul with Vince Gill. Paul Martin played steel one night. I am sure I have left out some, do not mean to. Marty just loves his Clarence White Guitar with the B-Bender in it. And loves playing twin Tele with Kenny. And I agree that their are times when Marty overrides but it is his SHOW. Just my thoughts, J.R.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 2:47 pm    

Marty doesn't consider himself a guitar player. Go figure... -L-

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 3:51 pm    

It's pretty well known that Marty loves steel and as Richard pointed out, he never made any negative comments in regards to Marty and the steel guitar. He just doesn't care for Marty Stuart overall. Not a thing wrong with that, we all don't like the same things.

Richard is a fine musician and a knowledgeable guy so I don't get it myself - each to his own - I think Marty and The Fabulous Superlatives are fantastic, I'd put them in my top 5 bands working today.

I've seen them play live about 4 times over the past 10 years and it's always a top notch show. Most recently in Golden Gate Park last October at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. Since the Dead played a lot there in Speedway Meadow back in the day, Marty, ever the showman and an astute judge of his audience opened with a song for which the Dead were well known: I Know You Rider. He's been doing that one for a number of years and as the set opener in the park it was right on the money. The crowd loved it!

One of things I admire most about Marty Stuart is his role as a "keeper of the flame" when it comes to traditional country music, and his love and respect for the greats that came before him.

Here is a guest appearance from Ralph Mooney from Marty's 2010 album where Moon played Crazy Arms. I believe this was one of the last tunes Ralph ever recorded. I was really happy Marty included this on the CD. Some great black & white shots in the studio. NO vocals here, Moon leading on his GFI - so do do yourself a favor and click on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nn8T2AEy50

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 2 Mar 2017 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 4:27 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
It's pretty well known that Marty loves steel and as Richard pointed out, he never made any negative comments in regards to Marty and the steel guitar. He just doesn't care for Marty Stuart overall. Not a thing wrong with that, we all don't like the same things.

Richard is a fine musician and a knowledgeable guy so I don't get it myself - each to his own - I think Marty and The Fabulous Superlatives are fantastic, I'd put them in my top 5 bands working today.

I've seen them play live about 4 times over the past 10 years and it's always a top notch show. Most recently in Golden Gate Park last October at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. Since the Dead played a lot there in Speedway Meadow back in the day, Marty, ever the showman and an astute judge of his audience opened with a song for which the Dead were well known: I Know You Rider. He's been doing that one for a number of years and as the set opener in the park it was right on the money. The crowd loved it!

One of things I admire most about Marty Stuart is his role as a "keeper of the flame" when it comes to traditional country music, and his love and respect for the greats that came before him.
Here is a guest appearance from Ralph Mooney from Marty's 2010 album where Moon played Crazy Arms. I believe this was one of the last tunes Ralph ever recorded. I was really happy Marty included this on the CD. Some great black & white shots in the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nn8T2AEy50

+1
He opened his set at City Winery Chicago last year with "Rider" which really caught me by surprise. Another highlight was "El Paso" with that terrific harmony.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 2:04 pm    

Yeah, they do a killer version of El Paso, all acoustic.

Kenny Vaughan really nails those Grady Martin guitar parts.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 2:31 pm    

If you need more Gary Carter do you have his last album? One of the best steel albums ever made IMHO.
I saw MS and the FS in Bristol last September at the rhythm and roots festival. They played for 90 minutes in the pouring rain and Marty played his CW Telecaster on that stage which had more than one leak!One of the best shows I have ever seen. Connie stood in the wings and about 50 minutes into the set came on and did a few songs - no Gary Carter.
My wife and I are on the 5th row for the show in May at the Lyric Theater here in Bham!

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 6:34 pm    

I didn't realize they weren't filming new shows, I cut the cable some time back and don't get RFDTV. Always enjoyed the show, didn't care for all of it but I thought there was more to like than not. Like this clip right here:

https://youtu.be/S1D5khp0Yxw

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 8:44 am    

J R Rose wrote:
Amen Henry. I have seen a number of steel players be spot lighted. Ralph Mooney, Norman Hamlett, Hank Sr.'s steel man, can't remember his name now, Bud Issac (sp?)
and another gentleman, just can't remember name. And Chris Scuggs,(sp?) no pedals but plays very well. Marty loves Pedal Steel Guitar from everything I have ever read. Randy with Lea Ann Womack. Paul with Vince Gill. Paul Martin played steel one night. I am sure I have left out some, do not mean to. Marty just loves his Clarence White Guitar with the B-Bender in it. And loves playing twin Tele with Kenny. And I agree that their are times when Marty overrides but it is his SHOW. Just my thoughts, J.R.
Don Helms with Hank Sr.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 1:01 pm    

Good article in Rolling Stone online from Monday about Marty and his new album. I picked it up on release day last week (Friday), haven't listened to every track yet, but IMO it is outstanding.

There are two songs with steel. One is an instrumental, non-pedal with a Spanish vibe with acoustic guitar, some subtle percussion, and Chris Scruggs on steel. Great tune - has kind of a Mike Neer thing going on.

The other song with steel is on the pedals with Gary Carter. Straight out of Bakersfield - they really nailed it.

Marty makes some comments about the TV show, don't think you'll ever see any new episodes air:

Quote:
The Marty Stuart Show, didn't fare well with younger crowds. . .which suited its creator just fine.

Long before his own variety show hit the airwaves in 2008, Stuart wondered why TV networks refused to launch similar programs. "For years," he tells Shiflett, "I went around, going, "When will someone do a 21st century version of The Porter Wagoner Show?" When no one stepped up to plate, Stuart created the job himself. The Marty Stuart Show ran for 156 episodes, giving legends like Kitty Wells and Charlie Louvin their final TV appearances. "It entertained the old country audience," notes Stuart, who hosted the show and performed consistently with his full band. "They got that show, hook, line and sinker. The modern country consumer didn't know what the hell they were watching." The Marty Stuart Show's refusal to cater to fleeting trends may be one of the reasons the show is now off the air, but its creator is proud he never pandered to his audience – or his city. "It was a very renegade thing to do in the face of that town," he says.

He mentions The Porter Wagoner Show. I was the only person in my house who would ever watch that in the '60s. I'm not sure anymore if it was because I was the only one in our family of six who liked country music because I was a steel guitar student - or if it was due to my hormones starting to kick in at 12 or 13 when the young Dolly Parton joined the show and wore some of those skin tight outfits. Wink But I watched quite a few episodes in those days on late Saturday afternoons.

There is also a podcast interview attached to the article with Marty by Chris Shifflet. It's really good, but pretty long. I was listening the other night but it was kind of late and I dozed off. I need to figure out where I started falling asleep and go back and catch what I missed.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/hear-marty-stuart-chris-shiflett-talk-johnny-cashs-band-w471793

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:51 pm     rfd

I got the show on rfd but I dropped that
channel and a bunch of others
cable is just awefull these days ive been thinking about dropping cable altogether
its very expensive and full of selling crap to boot
just my thoughts I love Garys playing but the powers that be call the shots so be it I can live without it

mike Very Happy