The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  MSA Classic D12 Dark Wood Lacquer $1500 OBO
Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 7:27 pm    

For sale is my 1976 model MSA Classic D12. 9 pedals, 4 knee levers, 1 vertical lever. E9 Emmons on the front and C6 on the back. Standard tunings on both necks. Grover tuning keys on both, and a couple of the screws missing that hold on a couple of the C6 tuners as shown. I learned on a single neck E9 10 string and this was my 2nd steel guitar. When I bought this one in 1996 I was in a band and I gigged with this steel for several years. It sounds and plays great, and is a stunning looking steel too. I have a personal note from Maurice Anderson telling me what the steel's birthday is, according to his serial number records. The dark wood grain is lacquer finished and there is a beautiful rope inlay all around trimming this beautiful instrument. It also has circuitry to add distortion to the mix and one of the toggle switches and knobs on the controls turns it on and off and adjusts the gain. There is a battery required for this circuit to operate and you can see the 9v battery connection and holder in one of the photos of the bottom left of the steel.

I've been told that there is a lifetime of learning on this steel and I admit, I was ambitious when I bought it as I never have spent any time trying to learn the C6 neck at all. I have my hands full trying to learn and play the E9 neck. In fact, back in 2010 I bought the little sister of this steel, another MSA Classic S10 single neck, and it became my go to steel guitar. (notice that I only have the front neck strung with 10 strings--the extra 2 lower strings drove me nuts so I had to remove them to play it)

I didn't have the heart to even consider selling this steel for the last several years, but seeing it sitting in the case all these years when it is a fantastic instrument that just needs someone to play it, just seems like a crime to sit on it, so I'm going to part with it after 21 years.

It is not in perfect shape, as you can see in the photos, it has a few bar dings in the finish, mostly on the business side and just a small mark on the crowd side. There is a small dent in the fret plate as you can also see and there is a spot behind the changer at the end of the top wood that looks like someone spilled oil or something that marred the finish. It was like that when I bought it so I don't know how it got that way, but it is on the top surface and pretty obscure. Mechanically, it is in real good shape, and solid as a rock. It plays smooth and the changer works smooth and the steel stays in tune really good.

The case is very heavy duty, and rock solid as well, and there is a vinyl bag to hold the legs and pedal rods to keep them protected while in the case. There is a space at the end of the case to store a volume pedal or what ever else you want. The case is worn on the outside, but still serves its purpose well, protecting the steel.

I have paperwork showing the gauge of strings and charts showing the tunings that will go with it. If you have questions, please ask. I'm asking $1,500.00 or best offer.

Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 12:36 pm    

I keep the front neck strung with the top 10 strings and leave the bottom two strings off. Basically its strung as a D10 with the option to add the bottom two. Its just the way I played it. Kept me out of trouble.

Back neck has all 12 on it.
Thanks for looking.

Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 11:50 am     Sold local, Please Close

Thank you,
Doug