The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ballpark Value MSA Classic S10
Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 9:01 am    

Hi there,

I bought myself a Mullen guitar and it looks like I will be also getting a Fulawka which puts my old MSA S10 that I learned on in the unfortunate spot of needing to be sold.

It is far from a new guitar with wear on various parts but still works great with no issues. Three pedals, four knees. Emmons set up. Some wear issues include discoloration of the metal on the changer where the previous owner used to rest his hand, the back legs are a little warped from stress over the years and the metal parts are not shiny at all and look a bit dull. Again, apart from this the thing plays and sounds great. I also am not positive, but I think the previous owner had replaced the pick up and I'm not sure of the new one's model.

I had listed it on a local classified site for Canadian $850.00 (works out to about $635.00 US) to see if there was some interest and I got about five replies. A friend and fellow steel player had asked about it though and he was saying he could only afford $700 Canadian (roughly $525.00 US). So now I'm tossing around the idea of a private sale or whether I want to do my friend a favour and give it to him for a discount.

Anyhow, I was hoping any knowledgeable MSA players here could tell me what I should actually be looking for on as an asking price. I've included some pics, although perhaps I could have gotten them closer and more detailed. Bottom line is it's an old guitar with wear that works and still sounds great. Thanks for your input!

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.

Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 9:05 am     More pics

I apologize about the upside down pics. I've tried to rotate them but for some reason whenever I do I get an error message.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 10:04 am    

Should be worth a grand, more if you're patient.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 10:05 am    

As always, its worth what someone will pay.. the MSA Mica body guitars are not as highly regarded generally as the all wood bodies are and usually sell for substantially less.. still pretty good guitars however.. if that were mine, I would ask about $900 and be somewhat flexible.. If you want to wait you might get more.. or not..
You really should have no problem getting at least $800 USA for it... that is not the original pickup.. Looks like it might be a Truetone. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 10:42 am    

Here's your ft. and rr. photos rotated 180° to avoid vertigo Winking

If you don't need the money, can afford to let your friend have the guitar at the price he offered, would be a nice gesture and a fair price. Also, getting a confirmed deal and payment from someone you know is a plus as is not having to pack and ship. That way you have a done deal if expediency is important to you. Easy for me to say right? Not my guitar or investment. Neutral JMO.

Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 11:17 am     Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies. I appreciate it. Yes I was exploring my options of selling local as, I'm sure most of you are well aware, the guitar and case are darn heavy. Packing it up and shipping would probably be a bit of cash especially if I didn't find a buyer in Canada.

It sounds like my price is a bit on the low end seeing how you fellas have estimated maybe $800-$1000 american. But the other point on it being worth what someone is willing to pay is very true. I'll have to do some thinking.

And thanks for the flipped pics!