INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian Guitar on Oahu?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post Posted 19 Mar 2017 7:16 am     Reply with quote

Hello all;
We will be visiting Oahu in August. I would appreciate any information you may have about live music venues featuring Steel Guitar. After 40 years of marriage my wife and I are finally traveling to Hawaii!

Will be staying at The Outrigger hotel on Waikiki beach, and will mostly do all the touristy stuff during the day.

Are there any Jam sessions? or Steel Guitar Groups that meet?

Thanks in advance; ALOHA
Dom Franco

Kihei, Maui, Hawaii, USA
Post Posted 19 Mar 2017 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Last I checked the Halekulani (next door to the outrigger) has Hiram Olson trio play Friday and Saturday nights I thing 5:30-8:30pm. That's a start.

D.C.
Post Posted 19 Mar 2017 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Dom,
Please go to this website:
http://www.kekulamele.com/
on the contact page is Alan Akaka's school Ph.#
Give him a call, tell him who you are, and about your lap steel playing. He might want you to come in to teach a lesson! Kumu Alan is one of the greatest people I've ever met.
If I remember right, the Outrigger has Dukes restaurant in the back of the lobby. Alan's group used to play there, don't know if they are still. August is a little way off.
And on the other side of the Outrigger, sits the beautiful and historic Moana hotel. (Moana Surfrider now), where Hawaii Calls radio show was broadcast, and Robert Louis Stevenson sat under the giant Banyan tree and wrote Kidnapped, so the story goes..
have a great time!!
James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post Posted 19 Mar 2017 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

The Hawes Inn (1793) from which David Balfour was "Kidnapped" about 6 miles from me.

James Kerr

Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post Posted 19 Mar 2017 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

The Halekulani Hotel is a couple doors down from Duke's and is a 5 star hotel. Hence, they tend to bring in nothing but quality acts. Like Loren said that would be a start.

Bobby Ingano plays at Dot's in Wahiawa. That's about an hour north and a used to be rowdy town. Respect for the locals is conventional wisdom. Spend the day on the north shore and Haleiwa if you go up, then Wahiawa is only about 10 minutes from the beach.

There is kick ass non-steel Hawaiian music all around Waikiki. Some is old time, some contemporary and a lot is Hawaiian raygay I mean reggae. Duke's caters to supporting local musicians with multiple gigs every day.

Be diligent with your research for not all the best acts are the most highly advertised.
As Ron said above Alan would be a good man to start a conversation with. I heard they just discontinued his long running weekly Waikiki gig so I think he travels more often now. But you might get lucky and catch him in action.

Have fun!
David M Brown

California, USA
Post Posted 20 Mar 2017 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Loren Tilley wrote:
Last I checked the Halekulani (next door to the outrigger) has Hiram Olson trio play Friday and Saturday nights I thing 5:30-8:30pm. That's a start.

Is casey Olson still playing steel for them?
Loren Tilley

Kihei, Maui, Hawaii, USA
Post Posted 20 Mar 2017 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Last time I went it was Jeff Au Hoy. Not sure if it was just filling in or not.

California, USA
Post Posted 20 Mar 2017 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

Loren Tilley wrote:
Last time I went it was Jeff Au Hoy. Not sure if it was just filling in or not.

Sounds like a win/win either way!