The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any synth out there a player can use to emulate a Clarinet
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 6:02 pm    

I am not really interested in learning to play the clarinet, but I love the sound. Does anyone know if there is a sampler that one can plug a guitar into that will come close to the sound ? Thanks in advance for any information.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 13 Feb 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 9:25 am    

Larry,
I think you might need to rig up a synthesizer to get a sound like that.
Erv

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 12:23 pm    

Hey Larry. Sent you a PM.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 12:49 pm    

Erv, yes a recommendation for some kind of synth or preferably a sampler is what I am looking for..thanks, I changed the subject line to make it clearer.
Jerry I didnt get a PM from you.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 8:08 am    

The Clarinets in the sound library for LogicPro are very good.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 5:09 pm    

With the available software, all you have to do now is learn to phrase like a clarinet... Winking

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 12:14 am    

I heard a friend of mine demonstrate the 2015 version (I think it was) of Band In A Box.

I don't recall hearing the clarinet voice, but the tenor sax was a most convincing sound.

Given that I have heard some woeful electronic reproductions of brass and woodwind (I'm a clarinet player incidentally) I'd reckon that one of the latest versions of BIAB would be quite OK. I have even considered purchasing 2015 or later, but have not made the call as yet.

Have you posted in the BIAB section here?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 7:59 am    

I think Larry wants his guitar to sound like a clarinet.
BIAB is something different altogether.
He needs something like this plus a special pickup:

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 12:46 pm    

A clarinet-like sound has always been easy to synthesize because it contains only odd-numbered harmonics. This is because it behaves (mathematically) like a cylindrical pipe stopped at one end, which is a bit of a mystery as it is clearly neither.

Like John Ed, I'm not bothered because I can already play one, but I'll still be interested in the answers.

Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 1:47 pm    

As per Erv, I think that you would need a guitar with a MIDI interface. This requires a special pickup on the guitar (not a magnetic one).

There are several samples packs that have clarinets, brass, etc that are triggered and controlled through MIDI. (Google "clarinet sound samples"). My brother-in-law uses these types of samples to flesh out orchestral material.

Best Regards,
Sam

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 9:32 pm    

''...Like John Ed, I'm not bothered because I can already play one, but I'll still be interested in the answers...'''

As would I.

If one of you good players out there can post a link (or something) where you have successfully mimicked a clarinet using a guitar, that would be most interesting.

Clarinet players utilise a skill called tonguing, where the tongue briefly hits the clarinet reed and momentarily stops it. This technique allows staccato playing and is much harder to accomplish than legato. I'd be particularly keen to hear a sample of this effect.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 6:27 am    

Now a sustained guitar triggering a clarinet sound I can kind of imagine, but I hadn't thought about staccato.

However, when you consider that a clarinettist's tongue is an on/off device (unlike a brass instrument where there is an element of attack) a clean guitar staccato should give the right result.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 9:48 am    

Hey, Larry, if I understand your OP you want a device to make your guitar (or steel?) to sound like a clarinet, rather than a computer synth program you'd have to interface to.

Without even hearing one I can recommend the Electro Harmonix Mel 9, which is an FX box to give an input the sound of the famous Melotron tape synthesizer. It has a clarinet patch, which if modeled after the melotron, would (sound like) an actual recorded clarinet triggered by your guitar. I would think that might be just the ticket. They did so well with their Organ synths I bet it sounds great. Here's a listing from Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MEL9?adpos=1o1&creative=55282421161&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=MEL9&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuJXFBRDirIGnpZLE-N4BEiQAqV0KGic7LN4X-a9-rg4paXnqfz8tylZ73tUO4daBBJXzBZAaAr4-8P8HAQ

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 10:46 am    

Larry,
Well, there you go!
That company is going to bankrupt me.
Every time they come out with a new pedal, I think that I have to have it! Whoa!

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 3:25 pm     clarinet

I bought a Mel 9 recently. The individual instruments sax, flute, clarinet don't get it. The other selections involving multiple instruments / voices, are kind of fun though.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 6:16 pm    

If you look on YouTube for videos on the Mel9, you will see it gives a good clarinet sound. I recently bought one, but haven't had a chance to really play with it. I agree that the single sounds sound a little substandard. But played with other music (band or backup tracks), they sound fairly good. I'll play with the pedal this week, and use it on my 2 gigs next weekend. I think I'll have my wife record the gigs on my Zoom style recorder. That way I can get a better idea of how useful it is. Maybe I'll post some sound clips on YouTube.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 1:50 am    

I just finished a long term gig with a guitar player who used a synth accessory on his guitars, while they are interesting and some sounds are pretty good, they can become a nuisance . Used in the right place at the right time they are very nice, even fun, but overused they can easily become a distraction. IF I want to play in a band with an Oboe I guess I will do just that. But I don't want to play in a band with a guitar player who wants to sound like an Oboe. The real understanding of using a synth module correctly is understanding the tonal spectrum of each of the synth sounds, or it just comes out like a guitar which kinda sounds like a horn, or a banjo, a piano, or a bell , B3 organ etc...

IF we use a synth, use it sparingly or it will take away from the instrument that we are actually playing.

Of course it does all get back to the player, taste and musicianship, just be aware is all I say. Don't overdo it.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 5:50 am     Re: Any synth out there a player can use to emulate a Clarin

Larry Lenhart wrote:
I am not really interested in learning to play the clarinet

I don't blame you.

To play a synthesized oboe, you have to play it like an oboist. Using a steel for a controller (or a key), it's very different from wind.
Thus Ian would have the best chance for a successful clarinet sound. But I keep wondering why the clarinet needs to be there
in the first place. A hybrid sound is unique, it comes out like it comes out (unless you can really control it).
A song must really demand a clarinet--I mean the real thing--to be there, unless, of course, it's a request from the bar owner.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 12:02 am    

Just found this: clarinet and pedal steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEBNfKCF7iU

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:42 am    

That was some smokin' clarinet. Notice how seamlessly the steel takes over after it. Everybody in the band thinks she's hot.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:56 am    

There is something attractive about the clarinet/guitar combination. Django Reinhardt used a clarinet player a lot.

But then the clarinet is a multi-style instrument like the trombone. It sounds good in big band, trad, klezmer - and then Benny Goodman recorded the Mozart concerto!

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 5:14 am    

That's Chloe Feoranzo playing the Clarinet in that video. I met her while out with Pokey LaFarge a couple years ago. She's real sweet. I think she's playing with Postmodern Jukebox these days.

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 8:29 am     mel9

I posted about the mel9 couple weeks ago. I had intended to ditch it since I was let down by the single instrument deficit. Since then I had a chance to use it in the studio on an original song - not at all country - and it worked well with 2 outputs one to the mixed amp and the Mel 9 straight to the board using the high choir effect. Great for pads! At home I replicated this process and it felt like I had backup singers playing pads with me. Guess I'll keep it.

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 8:30 am     mel9

I posted about the mel9 couple weeks ago. I had intended to ditch it since I was let down by the single instrument deficit. Since then I had a chance to use it in the studio on an original song - not at all country - and it worked well with 2 outputs one to the mixed amp and the Mel 9 straight to the board using the high choir effect. Great for pads! At home I replicated this process and it felt like I had backup singers playing pads with me. Guess I'll keep it.