The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Age limit for pedal steel
Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:04 am    

Hi I just retired I am 73 years old and have been playing dobro for 40 years country and bluegrass I tried PS3 years ago but working did not have time to practice I have a sho bud professional 8x5 and have a beginner course from jeffran also tony pryior I will addd I have the basic grips down and have no trouble with the bar but the pedals and knee levers also volume pedal are trying me anyone with your option thanks this is a great site

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:58 am    

To work those pedals and knee levers, you need three things: practice, practice and practice.
Good luck! Very Happy
Erv

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 9:20 am    

We need a Like button. Wink

Best wishes with the PSG, Judd. I think I might finally learn to play mine once I retire.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 9:34 am    

I don't see an "age limit". I'm 79 and still playing weekly in a band and at Cowboy Church.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 10:03 am    

A member posted on the 'How old are you?' thread that he just turned ninety and bought another steel.

Welcome to the forum, Judd, you're in the right place.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 10:06 am    

Jack,
I play weakly also! Laughing

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 10:33 am    

You're under the wire, Judd. The age limit for playing pedal steel is 114 years old.

You might need to adjust pedal height or knee lever angle to make hitting them more comfortable. Other than that, it takes a long time for anyone to really feel comfortable with the contraption. Awkward is normal in the beginning. Sometimes after the beginning too. Hang in there!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:19 pm    

Unless you're making it an occupation, the primary reason for playing should always be to please yourself. And as long as you can sometimes do that, nothing else is really necessary - unless you wish to take it further. I have many hobbies and pastimes in which I know I probably won't improve very much, but I just enjoy doing them! Cool

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:31 pm    

For people who have taught music lessons what is your experience? Do young people do better than older people/

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 2:40 pm    

Hang in there Judd, at your young age, you are in the "sweet spot" ! Smile

practice will bring it home...Just like on the Dobro 40 years ago !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 3:25 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
For people who have taught music lessons what is your experience? Do young people do better than older people/

I'll say this up front, I've never really taught "music", but I have taught some people to play pedal steel guitar. I found that younger people tend to learn faster, but they also seemed to get discouraged or distracted faster. The compulsion to "learn in a hurry" doesn't seem as pronounced with older people, probably because life has taught them to have a little more patience.

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 7:21 am     Thanks tony

[quote="Tony Prior"]Hang in there Judd, at your young age, you are in the "sweet spot" ! Smile

practice will bring it home...Just like on the Dobro 40 years ago ![/ Thanks for reply tony and thanks for the mail order tabs and cds I am working on them everyday you make it sound so easy as you play.i also enjoy your utube playing I hope to get to that point one day. Your friend judd

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 7:24 am     Reply

Donny Hinson wrote:
Darrell Criswell wrote:

I'll say this up front, I've never really taught "music", but I have taught some people to play pedal steel guitar. I found that younger people tend to learn faster, but they also seemed to get discouraged or distracted faster. The compulsion to "learn in a hurry" doesn't seem as pronounced with older people, probably because life has taught them to have a little more patience.
you might be right Donny thanks judd

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 7:34 am     A lot of help

Charlie McDonald wrote:
A member posted on the 'How old are you?' thread that he just turned ninety and bought another steel.

thanks Charlie the right place for sure lots of encouragement on this forum thanks everyone

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 1:58 pm     The right place

Charlie McDonald wrote:

i think so to Charlie hope I can play when I am 90. Judd

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 2:55 pm    

Judd, I started playing at 62 and after 3 years I'm beginning to acquire a bit of competence. The pedals are the tough part, whatever other instruments you already play, so you are not alone with that! If I come across a difficult move, I figure that I have nothing better to do with my time than keep trying Smile

The pedal steel requires a lot of brain, and as I get older I hope it will keep me mentally sharp as well as giving me musical enjoyment. You've already discovered how much encouragement is to be had on this forum.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 4:46 pm    

I'm 63, and although I played 5 string banjo back in my 30s & 40s, I sold it & never replaced it. Just picked this baby up & gonna get back into it!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 8:52 am    

If you think 73 is old, just look at this old fart:

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 10:05 am    

As long as your knee, ankle, and finger joints hold up. I just started 4 months ago (age 60). The first couple of weeks I had amazingly sore thigh muscles from working the knee levers. I'm sure it was from bad technique and maybe a little overuse, as I was having so much fun I would just sit at the thing for hours without taking a break. So maybe a little caution on that front is in order.

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 1:00 pm     Old fart

Erv Niehaus wrote:
If you think 73 is old, just look at this old fart:

hr looks serious Ervin we must leave him to the steel lol judd

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2017 5:22 pm    

I am glad to hear the age limit is 114 because now I have a few more years. I may need some loading and unloading help.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 12:45 am    

I have a student in Anchorage Alaska who is 85 years young,And he practices every day in fact I gave him a Blanton Ad-10 3+4 Crying or Very sad
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 9:32 am    

Judd,
He only looks serious! Laughing

Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 8:31 am    

Can you drive a straight-stick transmission? Working the clutch and changing gears uses the same cognitive skills to work knee levers and pedals. In short order, you can do one as well as the other. Hang in there and stay with it; you can do it & there is no age limit.

Wayne Galtier

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 4:01 am     Age limit for pedal steel

Hello Friends! I am brand new as of today to the Steel Guitar Forum. I am 70 years old and have had a passionate interest in the steel guitar for years. Should have done something long time ago. Well anyway I broke down and got a Hudson 2x1 to start out with. Taking some lessons from Troy Brenningmeyer. I have been told so many times that I don't have enough life left to learn the Steel Guitar.

Well that just pushes me harder. I am a musician, primary instrument Tenor Sax and have been playing for many years, have had 4 bands back when horn sections were the main stay. I am self taught amateur on keyboard and do OK. I understand the Nashville numbering system, have a basic knowledge of chord structure.

Love Country and Gospel for Steel Guitar.

DO I HAVE A CHANCE ?

Wayne