The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar in Branson--Which Shows Have It?
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 2:58 pm    

Forumites,

I'm planning on going to Branson, MO in late May this year. I want to book some shows in advance to insure I can get tickets.

Which shows would you recommend that have the best steel guitar in them? I've heard the Presley's show has Dean Holman. What else has good steel guitar?

Thanks for your assistance.

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 24 Sep 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 8:39 pm    

I think the better question may be "which shows HAVE a steel guitar?"

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 1:26 am    

Branson shows may very well have Steel guitar and some great players, but thats not what Branson is about. They are stage shows, totally rehearsed and executed. They are not about how great a Steel player is or how much Steel playing you will hear. More like a mini Vegas theater show.

Thats not a bad thing it's just a description.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 5:17 am    

While I agree with Damir and Tony.....the answer is probably The Presleys with Dean Holman

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 9:56 am    

Bank just took over Baldknobbers Show. I don't think they were using steel at the end of the year. There are still some great steel players on a few shows in Branson.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 10:57 am    

Thanks guys...appreciate the responses. Don

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 4:34 pm    

Robby Springfield plays in Branson and is a great steel player...go to the Ozark Steel Guitar Association people and ask them, they will be glad to help you.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 5:23 pm     Branson Update

Hi Everyone,

I just got home from a trip to Branson and wanted to report back on the steel scene from what I say during my short 3-day trip.

** Dean Holman with the Presleys: This was a great show and Dean did some very nice steel work in addition to dobro and banjo. Dean played a beautiful blue Zum D-10 (8X6) that cut nicely through the mix. He played direct through a POD XT with the Twin Reverb setting w/ two 12s. I met him during the intermission and he was kind enough to talk steel after the show. A great talent for sure! Thanks Dean!

** Gene Mulvanney--Grand Jubilee Show: Gene also played a Zum D-10, but only uses the E-9th neck. He played through an old Peavey Session 400. Gene sounded great with a plethora of tasty slow steel along with some nice chicken picking. We had a nice visit during the intermission time. They could use a good amp tech in Branson for anyone who might be interested and qualified to do the work needed!

** Greg Moody--Down Home Country: Mr. Moody also did a fine job during a live taping of a show for TV. He played a Justice guitar through the same Peavey Session 400 that Greg used. The steel could have been louder in the mix, but what I heard sounded very sweet!

These are the only shows I saw with steel. There are more, I just didn't have the time to check them out.

Other Information...

Here is a previous post about steel in Branson for some additional information. It also shows a nice pic of Dean on his Zum!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=321481&highlight=bramson

The New South quartet was featured at the show Greg played on. They sounded great and the bass singer was phenomenal. He reminded me a lot of Richard Sturben with the Oak Ridge Boys. The theatre rumbled when he hit some low base notes...I loved it.

All the shows were great and definitely worth going to see. Due to the limited amount of time we spent there, I wasn't able to see ALL of the steel playing around town. I hope this helps for anyone planning on going to Branson.

For anyone planning a trip to Branson, get with me first. I can give you some tips for tickets that I learned AFTER we purchased them on the internet. I'll be happy to share some of the insights I learned. Just PM or email me for more details.

Don