The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Enjoyed the Dallas show
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 5:43 pm    

My trip to the Dallas show was the most fun I have had in quite some time. I had not crawled out from under my rock for several years and decided to do so at the last minute. Bruce Zumsteg came to my house in Branson on Wednesday afternoon and spent the night, we loaded his gear into my vehicle and we headed out for Texas at the crack of 10 Thursday morning...it was a lovely day for a drive through the Arkansas hills. We made it to Dallas about 6 or so.

The hotel was very nice and easy to navigate. There was plenty of room for the vendors and a nice variety of well known vendors to visit. I bought some new cables, several different thumbpicks (as my last Jeff Newman pick finally broke) and a whole bunch of CD's.

It was the most well run show I have attended. There was plenty of staff to answer any questions and they all seemed happy to do so. I was made to feel welcome at every turn.

Friday morning I had a good visit with David Wright out front as we primed ourselves with coffee and cigarettes.....great fun.

And there was some great music! A few highlights, in no particular order or ranking -

A special treat for me was hearing Ronnie Miller with the Pridesmen as his backup group. Good Grief!! They were well rehearsed and presented a dynamic show featuring several tunes we are not accustomed to hearing. I always enjoy something different.

And I finally got to hear Buck Reid live. Wow! He gave two wonderful performances.

Good ole' Mike Sweeney did some tunes from his new CD. Order it, you won't be disappointed. Mike has the touch.

Jody Cameron gave a fine performance. He had a very good sound and was well received by the audience.

Of course it's always a treat to hear Doug Jernigan! He is such a class act in addition to being a fine human being.

The Texas Steel Guitar Association Big Band (hope I got the name right) featuring our man Albert Talley on steel was really really good. They gave two fine performances.

Zane King was tearing up the slide bass in the Jackson Room on Saturday afternoon! Lots of talent and imagination going on there.

Michael Yahl said I looked older than in my picture.....Thanks Mike! We had several good visits over the weekend.

I got to shake the hands of several of my customers from around the world. That's always nice to put a face with a name. Also met a good number of forum participants. David Jackson was kind enough to visit with me several times, and I like to think we both enjoyed discussing the state of the steel guitar manufacturing industry. I also enjoyed meeting Dawn and Harry Jackson. Jeff Surrat took time out for a good visit on Saturday afternoon. What a fine craftsman and prince of a fellow he is! Brad Sarno and I got to hang out a bit, we had not had a chance to do so for several years. He is definitely a wizard.

Food and drinks were a bit on the high priced side but that is to be expected at these things, and the Texas Steel Guitar Association has no control over that at all. We took along some snack type food also and got along very well. All totaled up we didn't spend an extraordinary amount on food for the weekend, no complaints. The hotel food that we did have was perfectly acceptable as far as taste. We noticed some people having food delivered to the hotel, that is always a good option.

If you have not ever attended one of these shows, do yourself a favor and go next year. I can't imagine that you would not enjoy it. Many thanks to everyone involved with putting it on.
"Teach Your Children Well"

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 8:09 pm    

Thank you, Doug. I enjoyed meeting you very much.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 4:26 am    

Enjoyed our visit... Very Happy

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 3:39 pm    

Doug, excuse me for being a dumb butt, but I didn't know that was you there at the booth with Bruce. I always enjoy visiting with my good friend Bruce Zumsteg, but I would like to have met you also. Come back next year and bring a guitar or two.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 4:09 am     Dallas

Was Joe Wright there?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 4:45 am    

Joe Wright was not there. He has said that he would not be back
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 8:48 am     Joe

Bill, thanks. I was at the Dallas show 2 years ago and Joe said then he was not coming back, but he did play at some other venues since then. He is a great player and entertainer, but there are others too. No show is dependent upon on just one player.