The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Missing .dll File?
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 11:45 am    

Am receiving an error message "cannot open program, missing mfc140u.dll file". This was after downloading a paid-for program for video editing from ACD Systems.

Doing a general Google search I'm led to a site where a tool MFC.dll Repair Tool can be found, a scan shows I supposedly have upwards of 294 items needing repair. I did NOT go any further than seeing that number, I did NOT proceed.

What's the best and "easiest" way to correct this situation? Be gentle as I'm NOT a computer Wiz! Smile

TIA

J W

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 1:34 pm    

I saw your post on the windows 7 forum. The people there should get it resolved.

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 2:37 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I saw your post on the windows 7 forum. The people there should get it resolved.

Thanks Jack---no doubt there's a world of talent and knowledge on the Windows 7 Help forums----I'm not that tech savvy so could easily get lost in their help.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 6:17 am     Re: Missing .dll File?

J W Alexander wrote:
Am receiving an error message "cannot open program, missing mfc140u.dll file". This was after downloading a paid-for program for video editing from ACD Systems.

Doing a general Google search I'm led to a site where a tool MFC.dll Repair Tool can be found, a scan shows I supposedly have upwards of 294 items needing repair. I did NOT go any further than seeing that number, I did NOT proceed.

What's the best and "easiest" way to correct this situation?

Those "free repair tools" are often scams where they do the "free" scan, find numerous "errors", and then offer to fix the "errors" for a price. Most times, the "errors" they find are bogus. There's a special place in hell for those people.

I googled your mfc file and got a couple of hits indicating it's part of Microsoft's C++ 2015 library. You could try installing that from Microsoft (not some unknown site) and see if the issue goes away. It's free.

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 7:39 am    

Dave, thanks for your input----and your advice is exactly what I did and all is working well now.

I'm with you on the scams so typically I avoid so much of what Google will find in similar searches. Digging a bit deeper directly from MicroSoft was the only way to go.

You guys are always helpful and its greatly appreciated!

J W

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 8:50 am    

J W Alexander wrote:
Dave, thanks for your input----and your advice is exactly what I did and all is working well now...You guys are always helpful and its greatly appreciated!J W

Glad it worked. We've all been there... Winking