The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons ' Steel guitar Jazz '
Fish

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 7:18 pm    

Although I don't want to issue a press release this evening or take out an ad on a Tennessee I-40 billboard, I can say that the work Buddy Emmons and I started together in May 2010 - and discontinued at his request in December of that year - has resumed with his estate's blessing. This is a towering task, and I'm determined to do the best job I possibly can, and this means it will take time.

Here is what Buddy and I had to say publicly about the discontinuation of our project back in 2010:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=197856&sid=1d843e1c1d31b0aa31e0a0bf62bc769c

I'll make a more formal announcement this summer. In the meantime, thank you in advance for your interest in the project. I won't be able to answer any emails or PMs regarding this until June.

I will finish when its ready and I'll let you know about its publication here first.

To Michael: You mentioned you have unpublished photos of Buddy in Calumet "Sin" City, IL. Bingo! Could they have been taken at the Yo-Yo Club? I'm jumping into a very busy week, but I will contact you offline about your collection, about Leonard Feather's rumored review and much more sometime before next weekend. Thank you for mentioning your photo collection here and also for the cool Buddy material and photos you've posted on the SGF...especially your copy of the Downbeat review. :0)

To Richard Nelson: I applaud the dissertation research you are doing towards your masters degree. I'm midway through my own work so I'm afraid I can't offer you much help, but I want to congratulate you on your idea and encourage you to keep moving forward.

thank you,

Steve "Fish" Fishell

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 5:32 am     Buddy's biography

Super news, Steve - who will play Buddy in the movie? Smile

Luke Moldof

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 2:39 pm    

Hi all,
Sorry if this is off topic but I was wondering if anybody knows where one can purchase a new copy of the Black Album? I really apologize and know this is probably a novice question but if anyone could let me know I,d really appreciate it. I'm new to the steel world and would love to be able to hear this as it seems to be the holy grail. I've been able to track down most of his other records but short of paying $100 on Discogs I haven't been able to find any other copies for sell.

Much appreciated and sorry to bother you all with this,
Luke

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 3:59 pm    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 6:01 pm    

that's wonderful news Steve! so glad you will be finishing what you and Buddy started... the world needs this book and Buddy deserves it. you made my year

Luke Moldof

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 6:41 pm    

Michael,
Thanks a ton for your reply. I was aware that the record was no longer being pressed, I was just curious on the off chance that somebody was still stocking it just as one can still purchase shrink wrapped copies of wonderful long out of print records through various outlets such as the forums store. Wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for your response and suggestions. I'll be on the lookout. Apologies if I seem overeager.

Thanks,
Luke

Ps. Thanks for posting those great images and the Black Album review!

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 8:09 pm    

This is going to be great! Can't wait to see.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 1:27 am    

Thank you Fish !

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 4:18 am    

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
Your best bet would be to ask in the "Wanted" section of the classifieds and hope somebody here has it loaded up in their computer and burns you a disc. Who knows where the original master tape is and what condition it's in, let alone who has the legal ownership of it. It's never been reissued. There was an attempt to sell bootleg CD copies several years back on eBay, the guy who tried it was in violation of so many regulations that he was thrown off eBay.

Actually, the Emmons guitar company did reissue it on CD several years ago, so it's possible you could find a CD version of it somewhere.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 6:46 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 7:12 am    

The "Black Album"... official name is "Emmons Guitar, Inc."... WAS reissued on CD, AND I can't find my copy! Mad Embarassed Mad Embarassed

Red Rhodes told me that he, Buddy, and Pete Kleinow all played the clubs in Cal City before he and Pete moved to California and Buddy moved to Detroit and ultimately Nashville.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Richard Nelson

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 1:23 pm    

Fish , thank you for your encouragement and i look forward to the book being available . I'm currently transcribing the solo in Cherokee. I'll make it available when its ready .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChkzP48NKKSiredddt-NGEQ?view_as=public

www.myspace.com/ricknelsteel

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 2:45 pm    

I got an autographed copy of the Black Album on CD from Ernie, had to be at least 10 years ago.
Damn if I know where it is...

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 3:35 pm    

The references to Leonard Feather brought up some old memories for me, and I thought I would share them. Apologies in advance, if this is off topic. During my senior year of college,in the spring of 1973, the university I was attending hired Feather as a guest lecturer to teach a class on jazz. At that time, what I knew about jazz was almost nothing, so it was both ear-opening and cool, but frustrating because so many references went over my head (the whole course felt like an extended session of name-dropping). Anyway, during every lecture, Feather had an old-style portable record player sitting on a chair next to the lectern, and he would pull out lp's and 78's from his collection and play drop the needle to give audio examples of what he was talking about. Invariably he dropped the needle in the wrong place and would drag it across the record looking for the excerpt he wanted, while the class was all cringing or snickering. The arm on the record player must have weighed a few pounds. If you've ever seen the clip of Andy Kaufman lip-synching to the Mighty Mouse Theme, you can picture the record player I am talking about. I guess it's an odd memory to have of a fairly important jazz critic. But the highlight of the course was when he brought Eubie Blake into class for an informal concert and discussion. He was 86 at the time, but still sharp as a tack and could he still play.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 7:06 pm    

Jack Stanton wrote:
I got an autographed copy of the Black Album on CD from Ernie, had to be at least 10 years ago.
Damn if I know where it is...

I think I bought my CD copy at the Earnest Tubb Record Shop in Ft. Worth a few years ago. You might try them. I had the LP. Interestingly, I still have the cover but the vinyl is missing Shocked Shocked Oh Well

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 3:28 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314053

Luke Moldof

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 11:52 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314053

Thanks for linking to this. I think I got my situation sorted out but definitely good to know if things change.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 9:42 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Actually, the Emmons guitar company did reissue it on CD several years ago, so it's possible you could find a CD version of it somewhere.

Well, I did at least locate the jewel case for it, if not the disc itself... Sad

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 6:28 pm    

been celebrating Buddy's groundbreaking Steel Guitar Jazz album today on his 87th birthday. still unmatched and always will be

I found this PDF of the Jan 1964 issue of Down Beat with the review of the album (p. 25), which I discovered was written by Harvey Pekar of American Splendor fame
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/DownBeat/60s/64/Downbeat-1964-01-30.pdf

cheers to The Big E! and happy 60th to his fantastic jazz foray