The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pennsylvania Roll Call
Read Connolly

Pittsburgh, PA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 9:15 am    

Pittsburgh Picker. There are many good PSG players in town, I know a few post on here (Charlie McVay, Rich Gibson, Jason Dunkle)

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 4:52 am    

I grew up in McKeesport, southeast of Pittsburgh.when steel mills dottted the area. Still go back to see relatives and fiends. Stevet

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 9:23 am    

Steve, my wife was born in McKees Rock, that's down by Pittsburgh. We live 90 miles north of there now. I remember the steel mills. All business's are gone from all over PA now. I have a close friend who's wife is from China. He's from Clarion and a great steel picker. Steve Porter, he's on the events and runs the jams. I think the world of him.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 11:37 am    

Hey Stevepo, I would like it if you included my name on your list. I live in Ohio but it would take me about 20 minutes to get to Jamestown, PA. Would love to come to one of your get togethers!

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 11:47 am    

Mark, go to the events section, and there is our next jam for March 19th. It will tell how to contact Steve direct with e-mail, and phone number. He is a super person.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 2:32 pm    

Thanks. Will do!

Jim Schatz

St. Marys PA USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 3:56 pm    

Hi, Jim Schatz from St Marys PA Home of Straubs Beer. Anyone heard of Straubs?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 3:26 am    

About 6 months ago I recorded "Potter County Pennsylvania USA" for a singer. St Marys isn't far from Potter Co.

David Thornburgh

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 10:33 am    

I live in Philadelphia.

Joe Minor

Picayune Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 1:46 pm     pa steel

Clinton Pa close the the Pittsburgh international airport.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 8:44 pm    

Happ Hatterer is a treasure of an individual.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 11:15 am    

Jim Reynolds, I bought my first quality steel at a shop in McKees Rocks. It was a single neck green MSA. When wego back to visit, in the summers, I visit a classmate friend in Mars, PA., also north of Pittsburgh. Steve t

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 8:43 am    

Steve, I know where Mars is too. Charley McVay has a Music Store there. He and his Dad built the McVay Steel guitar. I guess they were a really nice guitar, heavy, but nice. Steve Porter has one. I've seen it, but never played it. Took a few lessons from Charley Jr, and he play on the Wheeling Jamboree. WCKY. You may remember it, out of West Virginia. Then there was a Dr. Mantel I got Chelation Therapy from in Mars, for my heart. If you ever come home give me a call. I'd love to talk with you. I'm in the phone book, of Franklin, Pa.

LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 9:58 am    

Jim Schatz wrote:
Hi, Jim Schatz from St Marys PA Home of Straubs Beer. Anyone heard of Straubs?

The home of the "Eternal Tap". Yes I've heard of Straubs. A great beer and "Amber" being my favorite at this time. Unfortunately kind of high in carbs for a diabetic but one once in a while is real good. Very Happy . I'm from northwestern Pa. In Erie county in the town of North East.
The Allegheny Steel Guitar Association is having a jam this coming Sunday, March 19th. Look for details in events section.
LaVern

steve takacs

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 7:03 pm    

Jim Reynolds,
I am actually hoping to get to Mars this summer as my best High school friend lives there. If all goes well and I fly back to the USA in June, I will get in touch with you. Hoping your health improves. I did not know about the music store there, so thanks for the tip. Stevet

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 12:43 am    

Yes, it is right off hwy 19, in a little shopping plaza, and is called McVay Music. I'll looking to hear from you. I think it might be called Cranberry, Pa, but I get off at Mars Exit from I-79,go right, toward 19, at light turn right, and it's down there, about 1/4 mile. Jim

Ryan Zimmerman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 5:30 am    

I'm in the corner of Lancaster County; not far from Chester County.

Close to http://www.shady-maple.com/, for those of you who like to eat. Very Happy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 6:54 am    

Ryan, you mean "The Hog Trough" Very Happy

Gordy Rex

Southport, NC
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 8:06 am    

I spent most of my picking career (40 years) in eastern Pa. but been in NC for the last 7 years....

steve takacs

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 12:05 am    

Thanks, Jim. I wi do my best to make contact this summer. Steve t

Chris Marinelli

Pittsburgh, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 2:18 pm     Pittsburgh Beginner

Hey everyone, I just moved to Allison Park PA (just outside Pittsburgh). I'm not technically a pedal steel player yet but I'm about to buy my first guitar from a fellow forum member next week!

So count me in as a soon to be steel player at the very least.

...speaking of which, any of you near me give lessons?? I have a feeling I'm going to need them! Whoa!

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 7:26 pm     pesalvaniarollcall

In the scranton area you have myself gerry drury jerry manley and bobby bartoly

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 7:42 pm    

Chris, I'm Franklin, Pa, about 70 miles North up I-79

Gerard Drury

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 12:39 am     Re: Pennsylvania Roll Call

William Gwynn wrote:
Not many Steelers in this neck of the woods. Unless you consider the Pittsburgh Steelers. Looking for Steel Guitar Players from the Keystone State. Could you Identify yourselves?
Thanks!
I am from Scranton Pa Gerard Drury

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 5:28 pm    

My first 63 years in Lancaster County. Now in Naperville, IL. I sure do miss PA!!!!!!!!