The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SOLD Gibson BR-4 Lap Steel SOLD Donation Sent
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 7:33 am    

Will be relocating soon and need to downsize. With much reluctance, I am offering this very nice Gibson BR-4 from 1946-1947. Constructed from solid mahogany in a beautiful shaded sunburst finish, the instrument has ivoroid binding on both its top and back. It comes in its original Geib case.

Aside from the new cream buttons on the Klusons, the Gibson appears to be completely original. The wide-oval (racetrack) pickup measures 9.2K ohms, and the volume and tone controls operate as they should.

There are some nicks and scratches and some bumps and bruises, but the BR-4 and its case are in pretty nice shape for a 70 year-old instrument.

$550.00 shipped USPS Priority Insured in the lower 48.

*** An alert Forumite has pointed out that this instrument is missing one string. It should have been pointed out in my original copy that the photos below are from the original eBay auction, which is where I purchased the BR-4 a few years ago. In addition to installing new tuner buttons from Stewart-MacDonald, SIX fresh strings were installed for C6 tuning shortly after I received the instrument.***

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 13 Mar 2017 12:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 4:16 pm    

Jack is a great guy to deal with from my experience.

Looks like another good guitar at a fair price IMO.

Mike

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 10:48 am    

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2016 6:03 am    

^To the top^

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 3:16 am    

How would you compare the sound of this BR-4 to, say, a slightly higher-priced instrument such as the Rickenbacker (RickenbaCHer) B6 T- Logo Electro bakelite laps steel guitar?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 10:39 am    

Steven Paris wrote:
How would you compare the sound of this BR-4 to, say, a slightly higher-priced instrument such as the Rickenbacker (RickenbaCHer) B6 T- Logo Electro bakelite laps steel guitar?

Comparing this BR-4 to my postwar B6 is comparing apples to oranges.

The BR-4 is constructed from a solid mahogany neck set into a solid mahogany body, in the time-honored Gibson fashion. Its nut and bridge are machined from substantial metal stock, likely brass.

The Ric is also two-piece construction, with a bolt-on Bakelite neck and a Bakelite body. The nut is integral to the neck, and the bridge is a separate piece of Bakelite.

Consider the pickups: Structurally, the wide oval and the horseshoe are different as night and day. Their main similarity being both do what they were designed to do.

This BR-4 weighs about 5-1/2 pounds; my B6 tips the scales a shade under 9 pounds. The combination of Ric's greater mass and Bakelite construction both likely contribute to its incredible sustain.

As far as sound is concerned, that's a subject that could be debated into eternity because it's entirely subjective. I subscribe to the personal opinion that a good Ric B6 is arguably the gold standard for lap steel guitars. That being said, whenever I get together with my pals to play music, I bring along two postwar Gibsons.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 12:04 pm    

The Gibson BR-4 has been sold and it's on its way to its new home in the Golden State.