The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  hot rod deluxe
Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 7:25 pm    

you gyus with experience have any thoughts on a rot rod deluxe111 with sis string teles are they loud enough for about 100 people sometime less not noisy croud or real loud band. not miked. and does it have tremlo.

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 11:16 pm     Hot Rod deluxe

Mike I played a USA Deluxe since 2005 with a Fender Tele miked up every gig it had enuff to get. Over a crowd of 8o to a 100 people and I never set amp volume past 6 I don't remember it having tremolo either, but I ran a pedal board it had a great warm sound if you keep the mids and highs rolled off a bit with a Tele .

Hope that helps
Bruce

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 3:03 am    

I believe "how many people" is not a factor, but room size is. This is a spec'd 40 watt amp with a single 12.

I have owned and used 2 of them over the last couple of decades. They are fine, up to a point. If you need to "push" them you will run into headroom issues . They tend to be very bright but manageable. I bought one new in 1996 and a second one a few years ago which was a year or two old.

For a small to moderate sized room they will do the job.

Many users think they can change the amps speaker or tubes and get more headroom, MYTH. You may bring it to max efficiency but thats not the same as increasing headroom.

If you have an older one, change the E Caps, it will make a huge difference on the bottom end MUD .

These are nice amps, in fact, from what I have read, they are Fenders #1 selling amp of all time !

The only real negative about these amps, my op, this series, is the PC bds are really thin and cheesy. If and when you need to change E Caps, do it from the front side, piggy back the new parts to the existing leads. Also, forget those mods that say they can get better tone etc.

nice amps overall

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Bowles

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 7:55 am     hrd

thanks guys thought about getting one but just got a message from rick johnston he is working on a head cab for my 75 silverface twin with 2 jbld120f speakers so i will hold off on the hrd we tried a new drummer last night at practice he did a very good job. i been using a cube 80xl we are not a loud band so itt cut it pretty good i guess im hooked on tubes we play classic country. with the twin i can play some steel to thanks for your time

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 7:50 pm    

Make sure the plate on the back says "Made in USA". The Mexican ones have cheap circuit boards that expand too quickly with heat & break solder joints; gotta re-solder the tube sockets every few gigs.
Ask me how I know!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 2:51 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
Make sure the plate on the back says "Made in USA". The Mexican ones have cheap circuit boards that expand too quickly with heat & break solder joints; gotta re-solder the tube sockets every few gigs.
Ask me how I know!

The early USA amps may have been better quality but the later USA amps are not any better PC bd wise. Ask me how I know ! Smile

Overall though they are still very good amps USA or MIM, just be aware when they need servicing. I doubt other amps , other brands, in this price range are any different in PC bd quality.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Bowles

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 7:12 am     hrd

thanks tony im gonna hold off for a little while rick johnston is building me a head cab for my 75 twin with two jbld120f speakers im going to wait and see how this goes first.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 5:01 am    

I had two different ones and got rid of them. They had cabinent issues. Certain notes made the cabinent buzz.

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 9:18 am    

Craig, I had the same problem as you. Certain notes would cause a buzz and I never could figure out what was buzzing.