The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Are you in this photo
Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 6:13 pm    

I couldn't find a section to put this so if it's not allowed please move it. I found this photo in my late dad's room. I have no idea of who it is and thought maybe it could be one of you guys or perhaps someone knew something about it. I have no idea when or where it was taken and I hate to trash it in case someone knows something about it. Thanks
[/img]

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 6:28 pm    

10 second Google image search, first hit:

http://www.hillbilly-music.com/programs/story/index.php?prog=430

The Big D Jamboree Gang
—Left to right (standing): The Morris Brothers (Marvin and Charlie), Otis West, Riley Crabtree, Billy Jack Saucier, Red Gilliam, Al Turner, Tony Miller, Ray Munroe, Buddy Griffin, Roy Wiley, "The Travelin Texan" (Billy Walker)
—Left to right (seated): Gene O'Quinn, Bobby Williamson, Barbara Hazzard, Betty Lou Lobb, Buster White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 7:14 pm     Thanks

Thanks Greg you solved my mystery that I've had for 5 yrs, I can remember him talking about the Sportatorium.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 8:01 pm    

thats a really cool photo.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 8:33 pm    

Wow Greg.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 9:21 pm    

If it helps somebody in the future - put the cursor on the photo, right-click the mouse, and select "Search Google for image". Try it! Smile

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 5:54 am    

Isn't that Clayton Moore standing on the upper right?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 6:28 am    

I don't remember his name, but in 1961/62 I was stationed in Taipei Taiwan, in the Air Force. We had a band and the singer had been a regular on the Big D Jamboree and on some Kids TV program in Dallas.

The steel player we had in the band was from Beaumont, Tx. I only remember his first name "Bobbie". He had a D8 Fender that he modified and added one pedal.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 6:53 am    

Wonder if I have his guitar.
i have an old fender 8 that had another neck. Long gone. The guitar was given to me from a pal who found it in a dumpster. We since got it up and running but the thing is, it has drill holes thru the tuning pan and thru the body for some kind of string stretcher on a string or two.
Course, we'll never really know.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 10:45 am    

Quote:
Wonder if I have his guitar.
i have an old fender 8 that had another neck. Long gone. The guitar was given to me from a pal who found it in a dumpster. We since got it up and running but the thing is, it has drill holes thru the tuning pan and thru the body for some kind of string stretcher on a string or two.
Course, we'll never really know

The holes may have been for a Shot Jackson style pedal (see photo) although being directly in line with one another makes me wonder..

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 10:50 am    

Of course, the photo above is not Shot Jackson-style, that is Paul Bigsby style.

This is Shot Jackson style, from the first DALAND guitar, which was the first pedal steel Shot Jackson helped build from scratch as a pedal steel. They made ten is six weeks in Late Summer 1954. Don Davis was the DA and Hank Garland was the LAND. Ray Butts made the pickups -- eight string humbucking Filtertrons before Filtertrons. Shot Jackson did the mechanics. An antique restorer/furniture repair shop in Nashville did the cabinets. The pedals, which Shot used on many of his Fender conversions, were from Don Davis' shop where he made dragsters. I cannot think of anything else -- endplate and keyhead castings were copied from Bigsby castings.
Here is Shot Jackson keyhead plunger work. I am restoring this guitar right now.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 4:07 pm    

Thanks, Chris, that was the only photo I could find of the plunger type changer... Oh Well

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 8:42 am    

WOW Chris, What a TREASURE and great notes with it. Thank You, J.R.