The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do we play the same with different players ?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 5:22 am    

I don't...

I had been playing with 3 different guitar players, each good in their own right . #1 is ridiculous good ! I could listen to him play all night. #2 is also a very skilled experienced player and really knows how to listen. For ex, if we are playing a typical Merle song, it's a no brainer, #1 and #2 are playing all the right stuff at the right time and expect that I will do the same.

#1 and #2, we play very well together, a smooth musical conversation. I enjoy playing with them and they enjoy playing with me . We anticipate, we try not to step on each other, we listen to each other. #1 and #2, we are all personal friends as well.

#3, not so much, there is no anticipation, probably no listening. There is very little musical conversation . I don't play well with him and he thinks I stink ! Laughing Well , truth be known when I play with him I do stink ! When I played with #3, I became very cautious, perhaps over cautious.

So, do we play differently with different bands or players ? Do you adjust ?

I know I do.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 5:40 am    

I've done a lot of "fill in jobs". I've found that in many cases I play to the ability of the band. If I'm with a good band that makes me try and play better. If I'm with a crappy band I tend to "play down" to their level. I try to avoid crappy bands and would rather play with upper level pickers that force me to play better.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 7:02 am    

I find myself playing differently with different bands, as I try to fit in with the existing instrumentation and styles. "Trading off" properly and playing solid and tasteful rhythm are skills that many lead players (and steel players) simply do not have.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 8:59 am    

I've told this tale before, but I want to hear it again myself. I was hired for a fill in job. The guitar player played non stop, every solo, every fill. I finally just sat there with my hands on my steel. At the end of the night, the bandleader paid me and said, "thank you, thank you, we couldn't have done it without you" A fellow steel player asked me how it went. I said "Man, that S.O.B. wouldn't have given me a break on Steel Guitar Rag."

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 10:32 am    

Some clarity, playing with #3 was not a fill in, it was a regular gig.

Endurance comes to mind ! Smile

It's all good though, I chalk it off to more experience. Nobody died , well, at least not that I know of !

I've been playing alongside #1 for about 14 years, #2 on and off for the same period, plus he and I play one monthly steady gig together.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 10:39 am    

I always try to be the worst player in the band, and I'm usually successful. Smile

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 10:42 am    

I guess the obvious question is: how bad do you really need gig #3?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 2:19 pm    

Ken Pippus wrote:
I guess the obvious question is: how bad do you really need gig #3?

Its not GIG # 3 , it's player #3. In a small area we can work with a variety of players on any gig . Player #3 is not the leader of any of the bands I work with. He has since moved on anyway.

But the question is still the same, do we play differently with different players or bands ?

Plus, I try not to turn down any gigs because of music or musicianship, I may turn them down for other personal reasons not related to music. I reflect back to the early days when I was really fumbling with Steel, those band leaders stuck with me even though I was probably more of a headache than an asset ! Laughing

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 3:46 pm    

Answering the original question, absolutely playing changes depending on the environment: musical, acoustic, and interpersonal. Some players and front men seem to bring out the best in everyone around them. Others, not so much.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 4:39 pm    

Quote:
Do we play the same with different players ?

I didn't. With me, environment was everything.. Cool

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 8:15 am    

I've subbed in with many bands where I walked in feeling good but by the end of the night,I felt like nothing went right.I think some of it is caused by bands not usually having a steel and trying to follow every move I make instead of staying with the basic melody.

I recently had a old friend sub for me in one band I work with.He walked off the stage half way through the first set because the guitar player and fiddle player wouldn't quit playing long enough for him to play any fills. He asked how I put up with it and I said it all pays the same.

I will agree that good and bad bands affect to what level we play.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 2:38 pm    

Playing with a crappo band makes for a really long night, and there's no shortage of crappo bands here in Florida.

My regular band is about the best in the Tampa bay area, and I play my best with them.

But...what affects my playing even more than the band is the SOUND of he room I'm playing. I don't like dead rooms; I like a very live room. You work less hard for good tone.

This Friday I am playing the worst sounding room ever made; we call it "the carpet factory" 'cause there's heavy drapes all around the stage,and it's like playing in an actual carpet factory.

But Saturday & Sunday we are playing great sounding rooms; I try to hit these rooms with fresh strings.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 7:11 am    

Tony I just saw this and this is a great topic , it falls under the same question that I kinda have , HOW NOT TO SOUND LIKE A DORK ever. Weve all been there and getting along with THAT guy thats full of himself or too loud is important to the singer without being forceful on behalf of these roadblocks it would be nice to have a home plate to reason off of.
End of Rant