The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tnt 150
Justin Mills

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 9:08 am    

Hello everyone.
I've been playing a little over a year now. started with a Carter starter and a stage 100. i now have a MSA d10 and a Peavey TNT150. my question is about the eq settings on the amp. is there a sort of "starting point" to set the slides on the eq? or if someone has been using one can you tell me where your settings are set? im just trying to get my sound dialed in. i also have a Peavey Adverb II inline, but still playing with that one as well to try and get the sound close to what i hear most others sounds like. so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 9:32 am    

Whenever I start dialing in a new amp I usually start with the knobs straight up at 12:00 o'clock and go from there.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 11:06 am    

The TNT is a bass amp, so the bass preamp and eq is what it's voiced for. Some of them had chorus built in.

It's going to be pretty dry sounding unless you add some offboard reverb and/or delay for some shimmer.

I would start with the low and high control knobs at 0 [neutral] and add enough bass to give you some warmth without boom. Adjust High control knob upward to balance the sound.

The eq sliders also neutral, but maybe cut the mid frequency [650] down a couple, three dB's.

There is some info on peavey's website owner manual archives, but it's all geared toward bass guitar.

I don't know of any settings for steel with this amp. Probably just gonna have to play with the controls to dial in an acceptable tone.

Justin Mills

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 11:34 am    

thanks, yes this one does have chorus in it. I couldn't find a Nashville or sessions close by, so i picked up this TNT, i read online that several ppl use them, and they had good reviews for steel use, but nothing on the settings. i have a Peavey AdVerb II inline, but i dont know really what to set other than just a light reverb.
i put a brand new 15'' peavey BW in it as the old one was dry rotted. i also replaced the HV caps inside (i do electronic repair on PA eq and Ham radio eq) but the amp is great, no problems.
is there anyone in Charleston SC/Moncks Corner SC area that plays steel here? that can maybe answer a few questions in person myabe?

thanks for your responses
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 3:52 am    

Go to YouTube and search for Tony Arrowood Steel Guitar. Tony posted quite a few videos of himself playing his Marlen through a TNT bass amp. You may be able to see the amp well enough to see how the knobs are set.