The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BSG. Anyone familiar with them?
Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 4:36 pm    

Anyone care to reply if they thing this would be a good move up from a Carter Starter?

https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/6010556859.html

Thanks.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 5:38 pm    

DON Burrows built these guitars, very well made! A good step up from a Carter starter.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 5:47 pm    

Heckuva deal, I'd say! Made in Ohio by Don Burroughs, the BSG was a lot like the early Zums and Classic MSAs in design. They're heavy, built like a tank, and sound pretty good, too. I'd rank this guitar as better than any of the modern student or so-called intermediate (semi-pro) guitars out there. Guitars of this quality rarely sell for that kind of price. Cool

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 8:56 pm    

The BSG is one of the most under-appreciated steels around, thoroughly modern in design and construction and they have a great sound (with the usual caveats about the player, etc). Real sleepers!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 6:42 am    

that is a heck of a deal !

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 12:44 pm    

Speaking of BSG's... Anybody know if Don is still building steels? His website's been down for a while, but I have in fact seen him post about building legs very recently.

As for the original question I agree with all comments. I've seen several BSG steels at shows, some on demo for sale and some owned by players. They are every bit as good as the other guys have said.

LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 4:33 pm    

I own a S10, 3p, 4l that Don built for me. It is well built, a bit heavier than my GFI, but a great sounding and playing steel that I think is a large step up from a Carter starter. Unfortunately I don't think Don is building anymore , but can't say for sure.
LaVern