The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Behringer XR18 Mixer
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 8:44 am    

For some of you guys that still use snakes and a big old mixer and racks of effects on a gig, you may want to check into the XR18 Air 18 channel mixer. It's about the size of a shoe box with 18 channels and 6 aux or monitor sends. You can put it on stage and take an Ipad and mix from anywhere in the house. Of course, you still have to have power amps for mains and monitors. The mixer is self contained and as far as all the effects and processors you would ever need. Just got one about a month ago and all the difference in the world in sound, so much better. Really cuts down on setup time too.
PS: I have no affiliation with the company, just thought I'd inform you all about it.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 11:15 am    

I did a show a couple weeks back and the sound company had one.. mixed from his IPAD..
All his speakers mains and monitors were active (self powered) A small snake and a couple cables. Basically a wireless system ..

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 12:46 pm    

Bo Borland wrote:
I did a show a couple weeks back and the sound company had one.. mixed from his IPAD..
All his speakers mains and monitors were active (self powered) A small snake and a couple cables. Basically a wireless system ..

Yes Bo, the active speakers are getting more and more popular and the ones I've heard sound great. The wireless setups are also, and for a medium to small venue, really the cheapest and easiest way to go when it comes to sound systems. The XR18 is only $600 and does everything so you don't really need any more effects or anything. You can also record with it to a computer with a DAW like Pro Tools, etc.
My, my, haven't sound system come a long way since I started. I had trailer plumb full of stuff and took two or three hours just to set it up. Now for about the same sound, I can haul in my Jeep and be set up in 20 minutes, LOL.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 3:35 pm    

We are using one and love it. The only complaint I have is the internal router. It seems to be finicky and has pooped out on us when we have played at venues that have their own wifi system. We now use an external router and the problems have gone away.

I believe you can even use your smart phone to control your personal moniter mix, using floor monitors or in ear monitors.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:44 pm    

We got one too, it's fantastic. The whole band can use their personal ipad to tweak their monitor mix. Great EQ, effects, compresson, routing.

But YES, the built-in router is only good for home use. MUST get an external router and the big trick is to tell that external router to ONLY use the 5Ghz band. That will keep cell phones from interfering. It's very simple, and a good router is about $30 to $40.

These X18 Air mixers are killing the competition right now.

B

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 12:39 pm    

Brad - Thanks for the tip re: the 5Ghz band.

Bo & Henry - I hope we can move to powered speakers. We still have some old power amps in a rack. That rack is a real back-breaker!

Lee, from South Texas

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 3:13 pm    

Hi Brad,
What router are you going to use ? ....We have a BUNCH of folks on their cell phones / internet use , here in NY when trying to set up a wireless setup ....Constamt dropouts ....Jim

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 5:28 pm    

Any dual band router - turn OFF the 2.4GHz band on the router - ONLY use the 5GHz band. Phones apparently don't recognize or search for the 5GHz so the interference problem goes away.

B

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 4:06 am    

Thanks Brad ...Much appreciated

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 9:42 am    

Yes, we use external router and haven't had any drop outs since. Got a dual band from Best Buy for $34 and works great. I use an android tablet for stage monitor mix. For some reason, I can't get my IPad to connect. Even tried two different IPads and neither would connect. Android works fine.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 10:50 am    

QSC Touch Mix even better just for reference, well my opinion..