The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Needed In Amp Choice
Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 2:57 am    

Hey Steelers I need help with finding the right amp.

I'm playing a Fender twin at the moment .it's a great old amp .
My problem is the weight !
I have some health issues with my heart & lungs and I use oxygen 24/7 so I'm not able to carry this amp I would like some ideas on what to get .
I'm kinda leaning toward something like I've seen other steel players using ,like rack case or bag and from that to a speaker cab...
what all is in those rack cases poweramp ,I'm sure is one of the unit and do I need a preamp? Effects unit ? I now I will want to run reverb and a little delay . I just need some knowledge from you guys an gals who have been playing a while and know your rigs
I've seen a couple of threads about quilter tone block & pro block, but. I don't know anything about them . Do I need a preamp also or what ? I'm completely lost with this stuff before PSG I just played guitar with a few floor effect into a combo amp like the twin, or hot rod deluxe. I just don't have the breath or strength to carry those combo amps any more. I need to put together a nice rig in a case or bag like gator makes that weighs under 40 lbs if possible
Then I see matchbox & Blackbox & sweetners on these posts which I have no idea what each do or why I might need them. Sorry so long & drawn out but with me living on a very budget income I don't want to burn money I don't have .
So any and all help or ideas are welcomed !!

Thanks for your time

Bruce [/b]

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 4:15 am    

Bruce , Since you've been using that amp and you're thinking of going to a split cab and speaker. I would contact Rick Johnson here on the forum and get a split cab and speaker for your Twin. He does great work and you could even keep your original amp cab. You also could go with one of the 15" neo speakers , like Telonics or Eminence. It'd be a great.

Ron
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Last edited by Ronald Sikes on 2 Mar 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 6:37 am    

Bruce,
A terrific step up for you would be the Peavey Nashville 112. Peavey has been the Nashville sound for years. They've kept the price tolerable vs. other brands, great quality.

It also depends if your out playing gigs. But with the 112, you can add others things as you go (effects and so on).

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEV-NASHVILLE112?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&scid=scplpPEV+NASHVILLE112&sc_intid=PEV+NASHVILLE112&gclid=CL7fwciEuNICFdgPgQodUa8LEw

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 6:41 am    

Bruce,
Take a look at this post too.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=313093

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 7:07 am    

A lot of people like the Quilter amps. The Quilter Steelaire is one you can get as a rack design or combo. For the rack all you'd need to add would be a case for it, your guitar, and a speaker of some sort. It is fully integrated with preamps, etc. They are reasonably lightweight.

Myself, I use a Fender Princeton Reverb from the 60's, that is mic'ed. The Altec speaker in it weighs a lot, but I don't need any more power than it has. They are not cheap, though.

The Black Box is a tube buffer. It helps smooth out the signal, and it's optional..

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sgbb.html

New price is around $325. Used on the Forum at times for $200-250.

Or , no amp and use a direct inject/direct input (DI) or similar to the house sound system. The down side being that there would have to be a sound system wherever you play. DI's are cheap, $100 or less.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:10 pm    

Telonics...last amp I'll ever own/need...

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:12 pm    

Thanks , everyone for the input !
I greatly appreciate & needed more knowledge on rigs.

Carl, thanks for the info on the Blackbox.

Ron H., I'm really liking the Fender mustang 111 sound clips did you use the on board effects or a separate prosser in line ? I think the weight is just a little over 40 lbs that's a big plus for my situation .

Ronald S. Having the Fender Twin split sounds great as well then I could keep the head standing next to my seat so I could adjust or tweak any time .
this is also the reason I'm wanting to go a different way than a combo if possible .

The matchbox that I sometimes see in videos that attaches to the leg is this a signal boost,? and better to have or either or

All & any opinions on the matchbox please

Thanks a bunch guys

Bruce

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 12:21 pm    

Thanks John,

I've seen several youtube videos where the amp is a teloni so. They seem to be very popular .
I WATCHED Gary Carter's " Lighthouse Tale " on youtube & there's a Telonics all lite up beside him ...
Great Tone .

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 1:26 pm    

When you're playing at home,you don't have to move your Twin,so it's not a problem.On the gig,you can DI into the board and not carry an amp at all,just the multi-FX unit you like the most.Rehearsal? Just have it at YOUR house and you still don't have to move your Twin. Winking

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 2:12 pm    

A lot depends on how much you want to spend. There are a lot of good setups out there but oft times price is the deciding factor. I like to play through a rack but when you get that all loaded up, it isn't light either.
Good luck,
Erv

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 3:45 pm    

Bruce,
I used the on board effects which they have many on that amp. I mostly have used a combo of reverb, chorus, delay in several different styles. I usually use an Alesis rack unit, experimenting with the Mustang I'm trying to milk as much as I can get out of it (I have the amp for the 45 day tryout) without my rack, just the amp's effects.

The amp is 36 lbs. I'm also in Tennessee so your welcome to come try both amps.

Here is the latest. I thought I would record with it using the on-board delay and reverb for C6th.

The steel is several choruses long, then quits and there is only backing track the rest of the way, but at least you get an idea.

http://picosong.com/GBzt/

Regards,
Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 3:46 pm    

John Macy, What is the pricing on the Telonics? 15" speaker?

Thx,
Ron

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 4:51 pm    

Dave, good point I'm not playing gigs out right now and won't be as a steel player for a ( LONG LONG ) time ...lol, but I like to hear what I think is good tone ! not just what the sound guy that's running the board thinks. what I hear on stage (my tone thru my set up) makes a deference vs the mix out front and in the monitor other wise it distracts me from playing ....

So the whole ball of wax is I want to find me something lighter in weight prefer a little rack system to sit beside my seat so I can tweak it any time I need to and run it to a cab that's not right on my ear that they can either Mike or DI to the board . And all along not breaking my back or the bank ....
So since I've only ever used a combo amp . I have no idea how to build a rack
Can I just buy a preamp and a effects processed and come straight off to a cab ?

Thanks Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Bishop on 2 Mar 2017 5:18 pm; edited 7 times in total

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 5:05 pm    

Erv thank you also

You said you like to use a rack also .. what is in your rack preamp ? Poweramp ? Effects ? Buffer ? I know I've seen set ups on here or that are rack units in a soft bag and hard case that didn't have more than 3 or 4 units in them I know a speaker cab could have some weight to it but how much would a rack set up weigh it survey would be less than that heavy Fender Twin ...lol

Also I hope I'm not coming of Rude I certainly don't mean to ... that goes for you too Dave in my reply to you

Thanks to each and every one trying to help me
Including..RON HOGAN.. who is only two 1/2 hrs away and has invited me to try this Fender Mustang lll... and have a Big Steak W/salad and bake potato...

. ( wait maybe it was just try the amp out while he still had it ) ...lol

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 5:31 am    

Bruce,
At the moment I only use a rack effects unit in a Cush case.
In the day, I use to carry a power amp in that case too and two 15" speaker cabinets. I got tired of carry all the extra stuff. Plus when you got 20' from the stage, the stereo effect left.

I just hit a possum on the road last night. So we'll have fresh steak to go with your tater!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 6:05 am    

Don't overlook Milkman. Their Half and Half is a great sounding amp and weighs in less than a NV112.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 7:50 am     nashville 112

I would leave the twin in tack and at home

maybe go with Nashville 112 or a quilter amp

unless you have plenty of bucks for milk man

or the like....

mike Very Happy

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 8:15 am    

Bruce,
You don't want to duplicate what I have in my rack. It has been around for quite a while.
I am a big fan of the old Tube Works stuff so my rack is heavy with Tube Works. I have a Blue Tube preamp, A Tube Works spring reverb and a Tube works amp. I also have a Lexicon unit for delay, chorus and a touch of compression. The output is to a pair of Peavey 1501 speakers.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 11:58 am    

I have two files comparing both amps. Peavey 1000 and Fender Mustang 111.

Please listen to both and let me know what you think and which amp is which.

Amp 005
http://picosong.com/Gxx3/

Amp 006
http://picosong.com/Gxx5/

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 1:24 pm    

Ron, tracks sound good !
Good tone , I like them both.
As for which track is which amp it's beyond me.
Just for fun I guess that 5 was the Peavey,& 6 the Fender

I looked on the Fender Web site and I couldn't find the mustang 111, just the mustang 1 and the have a whole mustang series. Wonder what that's about.
I've looked @ Guitar Center Web site , and they show all 4 of amp series.
Has Fender discontinued this amp, and you can still buy them brand new ?

They both sound great but I like that the Mustang is less weight and less money !
Plus built in effects !

Bruce

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 6:47 am    

The facts: The first one 005 is the Fender Mustang 111. The 2nd one 006 is the Peavey Nashville 1000.

Ron Hogan

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 10:22 am    

In reference to the post above about the Sarno Black Box. I have a variety of old and new amps. I bought a Black Box because of the many positive comments on this forum. From my experience, it's effect on the the signal and tone is at first very subtle and after spending that much cheddar on a small box, you expect more in-yo-face difference. But what you learn (or what I've learned) is that really enriches the tone. My analogy is that it's like taking a bite of your tone after it's been dipped in melted butter. I've also learned here that it should be the first piece of gear to plug in at gig (get that butter melting!).
Brad Sarno says he keeps his plugged in all the time, playing or not. It's a piece of gear I'm very grateful for.

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 2:50 pm    

Well Ron I think it is fair to say that the Mustang lll will be a decent amp for the steel .

IMO the recorded track of the Mustang 3 sounded just as good as the Peavey 1000 track .. that you posted .

what does your ear tell you playing live ?

Thanks for posting these sound bites as well !

Bruce

Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 6:17 am     Great sound!

When you can play like that you can use a 6 inch speaker in a practice bass amp! Beautiful sound!! I like the 1st one! The Mustang! Sounded like it had a little more bite and reverb stood out a little more! Just ole me!

Duane Noom

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 5:05 pm     Fender Mustang

I have a Mustang 111 but I can't get that good of a sound out of it. Any suggestions on settings.