The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thank Goodness for the great Tony Booth
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 5:01 pm    

Unquestionably one of the great classic country artists for the past 50 years. Still going strong, still handsome, and sounding better and better every year. I just spent some time watching about ten of his live videos on youtube. They're the classic shuffles that he has mastered. What a gift for all of us who love country music. Thanks so much Tony !!

Gary Hoetker
Bakersfield, CA

Larry Schoppe

Lake Jackson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 7:13 pm    

What Gary said!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 2:09 pm    

I remember seeing him the first time when I lived in SoCal. I went to the Palomino club in North Hollywood to see my old friend Al Bruno pick the guitar and Tony was the lead singer in the band. What a voice! He had (still has) a very smooth voice and you'll never hear him stray off pitch, he's always right on. I saw him a week or two back on Tru Country on RFD-TV and his voice was spot on. He's aged a bit and added a small growl in his lower notes but he's still a wonderful singer. I have a couple of his CDs which are always in the car.......JH in Va.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 6:05 am    

Y'all are so right! Tony is a gem. I just got off a cruise last week where I got to play with him on three shows. I have another show with him tomorrow in Seguin, TX. I am so fortunate that I get to play with such a legend.

And he is just the nicest, most humble guy you could ever meet. He refers to himself as "just a honky-tonk singer who got lucky".

I think he is going to be at the TSGA show again this year. I am assuming he will be doing a set with Jay Dee (?). What a combo!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 1:12 pm    

Here's a shot from years ago at the Academy of Country Music swards show where the "Palomino Riders" won Band of the Year again. It included from left to right... Larry Booth (Tony's brother) on bass, The late Al Bruno on lead guitar, Tony on rhythm guitar & lead vocals, JayDee Maness on pedal steel and the late Archie Francis on drums. Without a doubt one of the best groups there has ever been. Every member of this band was a star in his own right..........JH in Va

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 1:19 pm    

What a great shot Jerry!

I sent Tony's manager a link to this thread when I first saw it. I'm gonna give him a heads up about this pic..

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 12:18 pm     Tony

Gary. I don't remember seeing you at Trout's a few years ago, when we had Tony as a guest star. He did a great job, and the crowd really liked the real country music that he sang.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 9:10 am    

Definitely a favorite of mine for decades. I'll have to add some of his more recent recordings to my collection. I have an old vinyl album-- now MP3-- "When A Man Loves A Woman" and Jay Dee's steel blows me away on every cut. Pure and powerful vocals by Tony.