The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Goodrich vs Hilton light beam pedals
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 11:21 am    

I have Goodrich CD2A and Hilton...and I just found out that Goodrich does not service this pedals any longer, because they say, it is an older model... however, Hilton offers complete service for all of their products , and I believe it is even free of charge... so if you are looking to purchase a new light beam volume pedal, and before you fork out several hundred dollars of your hard earned money, keep in mind the fact that Hilton has a superior customer service, and your Hilton pedal will be serviced no mater how old it is...while Goodrich pedals will not...

Last edited by Damir Besic on 28 Feb 2017 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 11:37 am    

That's a bummer. I have one just like it. Hope it doesn't go belly up any time soon!
NRA Life member

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 11:41 am    

James Marlowe wrote:
That's a bummer. I have one just like it. Hope it doesn't go belly up any time soon!

James, I just had mine serviced by our forum member Mike Skaggs, and it works great, but Goodrich would not do it...few months ago I contacted Hilton about some problems I had with my Hilton pedal, and they said to send it in, they will take care of it free of charge...I will never again buy another Goodrich pedal, for me Hilton all the way...

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 12:12 pm    

Damir, the power input jack on mine is loose. Plugs comes out all too easy. I contacted someone at Goodrich many months ago and was told they'd try to get it going again, at the standard shop hourly fee, that is. I may need to hear more about your service guy!
Thanks for the info!
NRA Life member

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 12:37 pm    

That's exactly why I sold my Goodrich LDR-2 electronic pedal here on the forum. Was just afraid I couldn't get it serviced. Was like new, but was still getting a few miles on it. Bought a Hilton from Keith, will stay with them. Best customer service in the business.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=275491&highlight=goodrich

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 12:53 pm    

I have a Hilton also. My CD2R has served me well for quite a few yrs. The loose plug has been the only issue. But you're right...good service goes a long way! People like our late Craig Baker, Keith Hilton, etc (knew) know how to keep a customer coming back. ☺️
NRA Life member

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 1:10 pm     Goodrich vs Hilton light beam pedals

I have three LDR 2's, great pedal never had a problem. Remember, the LDR 2 has an redundant electronic system, don't believe any other manufacture offerd this. I do not remember ever seeing a report of a failure, I suppose it could have happened. As far as the power plug coming loose, that can also happen to a Hilton, but if it should, it is an easy fix. If you are looking for some comfort regarding the power plug, the Telonics pedal power supply locks in place. As an aside, Damir, the Goodrich pedal you have in your picture is not an LDR 2.
Regards, Jay Thompson

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 5:59 pm    

As far as the power plug coming loose, look inside the jack for the male part. These are usually split with a small space between the two halves. I take a small screw driver (one fron an eyeglass repair kit works great) and put it in the slot and gently (very gently) spread them apart. This has worked for all the jacks that the power cords came loose. Haven't had a problem with the Hilton though. But, I really like the cable clamp on the LDR-2 i have. I kind of wish my Hilton had one.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 7:02 pm     Re: Goodrich vs Hilton light beam pedals

jay thompson wrote:
As an aside, Damir, the Goodrich pedal you have in your picture is not an LDR 2.
Regards, Jay Thompson

I know it's not, but the issue is not necessarily in the pedal, as much as in the fact that Goodrich will not service older models, even if it's their own product...

Last edited by Damir Besic on 28 Feb 2017 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 7:43 pm    

James Marlowe wrote:
Damir, the power input jack on mine is loose. Plugs comes out all too easy. I contacted someone at Goodrich many months ago and was told they'd try to get it going again, at the standard shop hourly fee, that is. I may need to hear more about your service guy!
Thanks for the info!

James, that was the problem I had, took it to our forum amp guy Mike Skaggs, and he took care of the issue...

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 7:50 pm    

Thanks Damir. I'm thinking I will check with my local store tech and see if he can change out that jack. He's an authorized Peavey tech, so he should be able to.. I could do it myself if I I could get to it but it looks a bit tricky. I will save a bit on postage if he can do it. I noticed the other day my Hilton jack is a little loose too. For sure I will send that to the builder.
Appreciate it!
NRA Life member

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 7:58 pm    

sure James...

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 10:21 pm    

In all fairness Damir, the support for the LDR pretty much died with Phil Goodrich who was the brains behind that wonderful pedal and was the only one who understood them well enough to repair them when it was a significant problem. Ollie and Curt stopped producing them soon after Phil passed away due to the highly complex nature and high cost of production of that pedal and it has been well more than a decade since they have been out of production. It is not that we will not service the LDR it is that we cannot as there is not sufficient documentation left to support this now obsolete product. I personally take offense at your comment that "the customer service and support sucks" at Goodrich as we bend over backwards doing absolutely everything in our power to satisfy our customers by providing support for everything that we possibly can and our company has done so for over 50 years.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 10:28 pm    

Jim, I am sorry if I offended you, but that does;t change the fact that I have a product that company which made it, will not stand behind or work on... and I believe I have the right to my own opinion, . you and anybody else, of course, are entitled to your own opinions...

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 11:50 pm    

Damir, I had a fellow call me today and we talked at length about his pedal that was having intermittent issues and he thought it was the female power jack in the back of the pedal. That leaved me to believe it was at LDR pedal and he didn't even know what model the pedal was. Like Jim Palenscar said, we don't have any of the parts for those nor the documentation. Those pedals are 20 years old in many cases older. However I told this gentleman to send in in and I will take a look free of charge, many times its a simple fix like a warn out power jack.. To say we don't service our customers is extremely unfair and untrue. I take 10 calls a day just answering questions about old pedals and problem etc...Love it.. Never had a call from you Damir

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 1:00 am    

Kevin, I personally prefer Hilton over Goodrich...is that ok with you, or is someone going to break my fingers now?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 3:26 am    

Documentation apparently was not a priority in the Original Goodrich Company. Thus the new Goodrich has their hands tied with some products.

Recently my Goodrich MatchBro died. Keven offered what help he could, free, but without documentation (schematics) it was hit or miss. I recall someone mentioning the original Goodrich Co. would not service a MatchBro several years ago! As I was a tech (and still am to some extent) I attempted to troubleshoot it but wasn't having much luck until another forum member, Bob Lawrence offered a hand drawn schematic that he drew from a MatchBro. Fortunately Bob's schematic allowed me to repair my MatchBro.

I have both a Goodrich Pot pedal (that has an original Allen Bradley pot in it) and a Hilton. I had a problem with the power plug in my Hilton, Keith came to the rescue, at no charge.

Thus both the new Goodrich and Hilton both offered or provided free support.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 8:58 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Recently my Goodrich MatchBro died

must be another unserviceable, and obsolete product .... and this "customer service" looks to me more like a good old fashioned bullying, then a customer service... I am going to take my business to the company that will treat me with respect, and as a customer, and someone who wont be offended if I have a problem with their product...

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 10:30 am    

Both sides had their say. Topic closed.