The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oahu Publishing Co. sheet music covers
John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2015 8:50 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:

By the way, that $100 reward would about $1000 in today's money.

Dang, if it gets much higher I might turn myself in!

John Boogerd

Calgary, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2015 10:20 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
The early Oahu music was written for the A tuning, either high bass or low bass. That's what the music shown above is written for.

The A minor 7th tuning is C6th.

Thankyou Erv - as a beginner (after 40+ years) I didn't know that - I have the Oahu E-Z Method virtually complete and other Oahu sheets - now I might find a way to use them even though I have 10-string necks. I feel like Edith Bunker when the light suddenly goes on.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2015 10:23 am    

John,
Glad I could help out. Very Happy

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 6:58 am     Re: Oahu Publishing Co. sheet music covers

Chris Renna wrote:

Leon Coleman steel guitar sheet music

Sorry to bump an old thread - but this is what I was looking for, the name of the book I learned from.

Thank you, I was having a hard time remembering as I have not seen my copy in years.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 9:09 am    

These images are just terrific. Love those ads too that promise the world, Doug ... success, girls, invitations.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 12:40 pm    

Andy Volk wrote:
These images are just terrific. Love those ads too that promise the world, Doug ... success, girls, invitations.

It was the same later with rock and roll!

Especially the girls part.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 1:08 pm    

Yeah, but with Oahu, they wore grass skirts! Very Happy

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 1:49 pm    

I learned on the Oahu method in Tiffin, OH at Kitchen's House of Music and later at Vi's School of Music. Viola Lang was the teacher.
I google earthed the address of the Oahu Publishing Co. Today it's a sandwich shop.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 7:24 pm    

It's hard to believe, in today's world of instant gratification, iPhones, internet, social media... but there was a time when thousands of youngsters across the country would study their music, practice, and join "store bands" in every city. Those Oahu Magazines from the 1940s had lots of pictures of studio bands, student competitions, and conventions. So many steel guitars! Sometimes ten or more on stage at once. Door to door salesmen sold Hawaiian guitars and lessons. People's attention spans are too short for that today. They'd rather tweet, text their friends, or browse web sites for hours.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 9:24 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
but there was a time when thousands of youngsters across the country would study their music, practice, and join "store bands" in every city. Those Oahu Magazines from the 1940s had lots of pictures of studio bands, student competitions, and conventions. So many steel guitars!

This is part of our past as steel players. Think of the mandolin orchestras of a few decades earlier than the steel competitions. These large steel groups were the Hawaiian guitar version of those string ensembles.

BTW, I love those old publications.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 3:54 pm    

Doug, What would we do, if we could just go back in time. My brother-in-law, gave me a stack of the old lap steel lessons, when I started the Pedal Steel in 1984. They are really something, and I can remember when they use to sell them door to door.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 5:32 pm    

More Oahu Publishing propaganda that promises you money and success if you buy their courses!

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:35 am    

Let me make comments about publishers promises regarding ease of playing the steel guitar.

Over the years, as I traveled throughout the US, I had the opportunity to visit music stores and
purchase old steel guitar music, courses, etc. I have an abundance of Oahu material. As Doug
said, some of it is very optimistic.

However, the most optimistic steel guitar instruction which I found was the following 16 page
course published, Copyright 1926 and renewed 1953, by M. M. Cole Publishing Co.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:47 am    

5 Minute Guarantee - "...you will be playing the Hawaiian or Steel Guitar within Five Minutes". That's a pretty tall promise! I wonder how they define "playing" the steel guitar. Cool

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 9:27 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
5 Minute Guarantee - "...you will be playing the Hawaiian or Steel Guitar within Five Minutes". That's a pretty tall promise! I wonder how they define "playing" the steel guitar. Cool

I suppose tuning it and playing a couple of basic chords?

Obviously you cannot learn to play ANYTHING in 5 minutes.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 12:02 pm    

It's probably apocryphal, but there is a story that the Oahu Company was sued over their marketing claims or tablature or something similar in the 1930s. As the story goes, they taught the judge to play Aloha Oe in about 5 minutes and the case was dropped.

If you have fretted instrument experience, you can likely pick up any fretted instrument and in a min. or two, make something resembling music

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 1:07 pm    

I heard Jimmy Day playing for Ray Price, in Germany in 1964. He also did Night Life. I was in love. Then I started playing for country bands, (Regular guitar, I started at age 9), there was a wonderful man, (since has past away) I became friends with, Red Saxon in Germany. He was just putting pedals on his steel. He would get upset and kick that thing across the stage. I figured if they was that had to play, I wanted no part, but I was in love with sound, and Jimmy Day. I bought my first steel in 1985, age 42. Since then I have owned six steels, and still have three of them, and I still can't play the darn thing. I can play Doug's Crazy, Misty, with no tab, Mansion On the Hill, two ways, no tab, Jeff Newman, Faded Love, Charlie McVay, no tab. Oh yes, I can play the C scale, no tab. However, I have raised five Grand Kids, two nieces, then I got two back at age 25, 50 for another year, in a two bedroom house. I'm now 76 and the one bedroom is just a STEEL ROOM. Maybe I can learn. I was hoping to get lessons from Doug McClung, but he had some health issues. I hope to find someone who can tell me what I am missing. I do remember the old dobro they use to come around selling. I still have a whole stack from my Brother-In-Law, when he passed away. It is fun to look at them every once in a while. Just my two cents.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 1:09 pm    

I thank that should have been John McClung. Sorry about that.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 4:52 pm    

Quote:
...there is a story that the Oahu Company was sued over their marketing claims or tablature or something similar in the 1930s. As the story goes, they taught the judge to play Aloha Oe in about 5 minutes and the case was dropped.

I love that story, whether it's true or not! The way I heard it... a buyer of Oahu tablature sued the company for fraud because their courses did not teach how to play music by note. The plaintiff claimed that tablature was not actual music notation. The lawyer for Oahu handed the judge a lap steel and showed him how to read tablature. The judge was able to play a song in five minutes. Oahu Co. won the case. True or not, the story has become legendary. As the newspaper reporter said in the old Western: “when the legend becomes fact, print the legend”

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 22 Jun 2017 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:11 pm    

Jimmy Stewart in "The Man Who Shot liberty Valence" .... a classic!

Yep,if the Oahu story is not true it ought to be!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 8:54 am    

Congratulations, Roberta Yates! You are now eligible for promotion. Now buy the next book... Laughing