The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TSGA Rick Alexander Non-Pedal Show Schedule
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 7:18 am    

Edit^2: Swapped Roger and Gary... he's having too much fun at Chris Burns' studio recording with Floyd Domino, Redd Volkaert, et al... so Roger, hope you got my message, you're on Friday at 2:50.

Edit: Here's our *final* (tentative) schedule. I'd like to thank Jana Lockaby, Bob Blair, and Chuck Lettes for handling the emcee duties, couldn't do it without their help. I'd like to also thank the donors that have donated so far, we put this on for free, so every little bit helps.

If you see conflicts or other problems with this list please let me know.

Friday
10:00-10:40 Billy Robinson
10:50-11:20 Carco Clave
11:30-12:00 Margie Mays
12:10-12:40 Lunch
12:50-1:20 Lunch
1:30-2:00 Ivan Reddington
2:10-2:40 Billy Easton
2:50-3:20 Roger Edgington
3:30-4:00 Eddie Dunlap
4:10-4:40 Herb Steiner
4:50-5:20 Dminor
5:30-6:00 Doug Jernigan
6:10-? Free Pizza!
7:00-? Jam activities?

Saturday
10:00-10:30 Steve Palousek
10:40-11:10 Chuck Lettes
11:20-11:50 Bob Blair
12:00-1:10 Lunch
1:20-1:50 Gary Thorsen
2:00-2:30 Zane King
2:40-3:10 Carco Clave
3:20-3:50 Billy Robinson
3:50-4:20 Installation of Officers
4:30-5:00 Howard Parker and Friends
5:00-6:00pm Supper break
6:00-? Jam Activities?

Last edited by Stephen Cowell on 9 Mar 2017 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 5:29 am    

(see above)

Last edited by Stephen Cowell on 9 Mar 2017 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 9:34 am    

Please someone setup a video camera and record the entire show for us UK steelers. PLEEEEASE.

Doug Jernigan is closing Yaaaaasssssssss!!!!!!!
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 1:37 pm    

Stefan Robertson wrote:
Please someone setup a video camera and record the entire show for us UK steelers. PLEEEEASE.

Did you make a donation?.......

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 1:00 am    

No I didn't

I was thinking if you record it you can then sell the download of the concert or DVD.

Wouldn't that be great. like a live concert.

Or if you want to do like a Live Aid and then give us access to a live stream via Facebook or something.

Very Happy

HowardR

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 7:14 am    

I, along with Jeff Strouse produced and ran The Rick Alexander Non Pedal Sessions for four years.....

Within the span of those four years I realized that whatever you do to try to get people to support the show by way of donation is futile....doesn't matter if you make dvds, post videos, throw a pizzia party, have the best talent, have a raffle, free admission....when it comes to anything other than posting and cheering, people do not care enough to make a donation, even a small one......case in point.....you would like an entire weekend of the show so that everyone in the UK can watch it.....yet you made no effort to support this venue.....I don't think you realize the time, effort, aggrevation, and dollars that go into producing this show, but posting is free and so is the work of others......

Do I sound bitter?....yes....until you've stood in Stephan's, Jeff's, and my shoes, you and most others have no conception of what it takes and the very little appreciation that we have gotten.....

Am I pessimistic?....no, I was optimistic when we first went into this and then I became realistic...

Another case in point.....I took videos & stills of every player and posted them every year.....approx. 2700 people (each year) would view the threads and offer their cheers for a job well done......out of those 2700 people only 15 people made donations.....that's right, 15 people....fortunately a few out of the 15 made substantial donations and we were able to pay for the room.....we were happy with any amount that was donated whether it was $5 or $500.....but to have only 15 people out of 2700 was disheartening....if 200 people out of 2700 donated $10 we would have had 85% of the show covered.....

Case in point with regard to your ideas to bring in revenue to cover expenses (this is a non profit venue and every year we were out of pocket)......the last year that I did the show, I invested in a high def video camera, a computer, computer table (that I shipped to Texas)and accessories (microphones, storage cards, cables....etc) spent close to 4K for this equipment because we were going to do something spectacular that no other steel show has ever done.....stream the entire show for the entire weekend!.....it was unprecedented!....we charged $35 for the entire weekend of steel guitar music,.....8 hours each day non stop......6 people signed up for this......I'll say it again 6 PEOPLE!!!!

I bet that Stephan has very few donations yet everybody wants to see videos of the show....but know this.....The St. Louis International Steel Guitar Convention is gone and that could be the handwriting on the wall.....of course when it's gone people lament and mourn, but they did nothing to support it (enough) while it was going on....

So, you can sit behind your keyboard without putting your hands in your pocket and brainstorm all of these wonderful & fantastic schemes.....and in the end, it all boils down to squat.....

I commend Stephan Cowell, Bob Blair, Jana, Chuck Lettes, Mr. & Mrs. George Boards, the late Wade Pence, Jeff Stouse, and the late Rick Alexander.....the least that anybody can do (if you are truly passionate about steel guitar) is to donate something, anything to keep this ball rolling.....

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 7:33 am    

Howard, I feel your pain. I was one of the players who put on the MassBash here in western Mass for 20 years. We had out-of-pocket expenses every year. A couple of times we nearly broke even, but that was rare. It's a labor of love, and a lot of work.

Regarding the donations... if you had a web page with a PayPal button for donations you'd probably triple the number of donations. As it is now, donors have to jump through a couple of hoops to donate, i.e. contact Stephen and then he gets back to you and tells you how and where to donate? Anyway, I just emailed Stephan and I want to donate. I hope others get on board.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 7:56 am    

Something similar to a GoFundMe page might be good.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:11 am     Donations

When Steve first opened this donation Thread I contacted him via PM, requested a paypal button, at that time he said he would get one going.

I am guessing he is busy with so many preparations and daily life.

Regarding sponsorship in past years , I pretty much wholeheartedly agree with Howard's assessment.
I payed for very thing out right for a couple of years to help get it launched. Then Handed the Torch off to Rick Alexander.

Mr and Mrs Boards got the Live Stream Going some years back.
I too spent a load of cash to provide State of the Art Gear of the day, all of the expense of transportation and lodging - Meals - Live Technical Time and so on.
sus-ed out the T-Line Up Load Techno needs and got the hotel AV department on board with the Volunteerism with a 80% Fee discount for our labor of love.

I remember Steinar Gregertsen commenting that out of 11,000 members a whopping 31 were watching the FREE Stream.
Although we did have simultaneous viewers in Hawaii , USA - Canada - Western Europe - Scandinavia - Australia, that we know of.

To my knowledge this is the only top flight Mainland USA Steel Guitar Show and well worth any effort to support and advance it's livelihood.

Ra Ra Re Kick em in the Knee ---- Ra Ra Ras
YouTube Channel

HowardR

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:11 am    

Hey Doug......I put up The Rick Alexander Non Pedal Sessions website and had it up for years.....it had photos of the shows, schedules,a history of Rick Alexander and all of the information of how to donate (paypal, credit card, mail in) up coming shows, and had the potential for a lot more....we tried to make it easy & painless to donate a few bucks.....it didn't work.....we had 12-15 donations each year, mostly from the same people (some were players in the show).....when Jeff & I stopped doing the show, I took it down...

Stephen.....I feel that the steel community should man up (and woman up) and support this vital venue.....sure, go fund me could work but it's more about the steel community support rather than having to canvass people outside of the steel guitar community.....and the show doesn't need a lot of money.....3K would do it.....if 2700 people can't collectively come up with that amount.....well, what does that say?.....foot note:....I might have gotten this wrong....if a GoFundMe page (similar to what Mike Neer did with Steelonious) is geared toward the steel community then yes, that does make it easier....

Last edited by HowardR on 2 Mar 2017 8:31 am; edited 3 times in total

HowardR

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:17 am     Re: Donations

George Piburn wrote:

I remember Steinar Gregertsen commenting that out of 11,000 members a whopping 31 were watching the FREE Stream.

I remember that George.....the live stream was 1 day that year.....when it was free, we had 31 people....when it was for the entire weekend and the suggested donation was $35, we had six people.....

Hey man,....we tried, we really tried our best....miss seeing you & Mrs. Boards.....

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 10:08 am    

HowardR wrote:
foot note:....I might have gotten this wrong....if a GoFundMe page (similar to what Mike Neer did with Steelonious) is geared toward the steel community then yes, that does make it easier....

That is exactly what I was thinking of. A series of clicks, a minute or two and done.

It is just so easy.....much less stress and aggravation....and boom, I was part of Team Neer.

HowardR

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 6:09 pm    

yes, I agree.....that would be the easiest, but.....I just pm'd Stephen, got his email, and used that to send a donation.....no fuss, no muss......and you don't have to belong to paypal to send a donation.....

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 6:18 pm    

Yes, I too sent a donation to his email via PayPal. It only takes about 15 seconds to do!

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 4:00 am     Re: Donations

HowardR wrote:
George Piburn wrote:

I remember that George.....the live stream was 1 day that year.....when it was free, we had 31 people....when it was for the entire weekend and the suggested donation was $35, we had six people.....

Hey man,....we tried, we really tried our best....miss seeing you & Mrs. Boards.....

I didn't know about so I can't speak for others.

If you say to me the cost of the ticket is $35 and I get a DVD. For those that know me on here I pay for the product, pay for the shipping, pay for the Tax when it lands and then Pay to convert it to a PAL so I can use it over here.

So YOU obviously aren't talking about me supporting my steel guitar family.

Mad

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 4:19 am    

Quote:
I bet that Stephan has very few donations yet everybody wants to see videos of the show....but know this.....The St. Louis International Steel Guitar Convention is gone and that could be the handwriting on the wall.....of course when it's gone people lament and mourn, but they did nothing to support it (enough) while it was going on....

So, you can sit behind your keyboard without putting your hands in your pocket and brainstorm all of these wonderful & fantastic schemes.....and in the end, it all boils down to squat.....

Howard this statement is uncalled for no matter how frustrated you are.

As I stated MARKET your product in a way that works for you.

If you tell me you have a digital/hard copy of the TSGA I WILL BUY IT. DVD or music album.

But trying to come at me for your marketing woes is ridiculous. You posted about an event where????

There are numerous ways people market events from Facebook to Youtube to Websites, flyers, Kickstarter etc.

I and every other person who is in another country who are unable to attend an event NOT BY CHOICE but by circumstance have a right to donate or NOT. If you offer me a digital/hard copy for me to enjoy I would. So shame on you.

Think twice before you speak and look at the examples on Kickstarter for those that pledge and support events, albums, products etc. What do they get in return for their support. You sir have offered nothing to those that donate and then attack me for suggesting something.

Have a good day to you but I'm too young to let this go and I'm too old to let you talk rubbish to me. Mad

HowardR

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 8:39 am    

Looks like I hit a nerve....so, unless there's kickstarter, GoFundMe, marketing plans, websites, cds, dvds, musical albums, hard copies,....you can't make a donation?????.....what else do you need, a parade?....come on, do something positive and real....instead of making excuses, make a donation.....do something that really counts...btw....I donated $100....have you made a donation yet?......do you intend to make a donation?

Last edited by HowardR on 3 Mar 2017 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 8:55 am    

I donated $100 too... it's money well spent IMO.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 9:17 am    

HowardR wrote:
Looks like I hit a nerve....so, unless there's kickstarter, GoFundMe, marketing plans, websites, cds, dvds, musical albums, hard copies,....you can't make a donation?????.....what else do you need, a parade?....come on, do something positive and real....instead of making excuses, make a donation.....do something that really counts...btw....I donated $100....have you made a donation yet?......do you intend to make a donation?

Pat yourself on the Back HowardR.

I was suggesting alternative marketing only to help but whatever you continue to come after me.

#wanker

HowardR

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 9:34 am    

I'll take that as a "no" with regard to my question of you making a donation......

Last edited by HowardR on 3 Mar 2017 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

HowardR

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 9:48 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:

Doug, that's very kind and generous of you and I'd like to make a general point here....

The premise of a donation is to support something (or someone) that you truly believe in WITHOUT expecting anything in return....it's a kind and selfless act.....there is no "what's in it for me" mentality....giving money and expecting something in return is not a donation, it's a transaction and basically a sale....it's not something that you believe in or have faith in (only that you don't get ripped off).....when we do honorable, noble, and the right things in life, do we do these things because people are watching, or that we'll receive praise, or monetary reward?.....or do we do them because we have moral fiber and core values?......that's the difference and it translates with regard to a certain mentality that seems to be it's either give & take or nothing at all.....everyone who is reading this will have to make their own personal decision as to whether they want to do the noble thing....

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 11:37 am    

HowardR wrote:
Doug Beaumier wrote:

Doug, that's very kind and generous of you and I'd like to make a general point here....

The premise of a donation is to support something (or someone) that you truly believe in WITHOUT expecting anything in return....it's a kind and selfless act.....there is no "what's in it for me" mentality....giving money and expecting something in return is not a donation, it's a transaction and basically a sale....it's not something that you believe in or have faith in (only that you don't get ripped off).....when we do honorable, noble, and the right things in life, do we do these things because people are watching, or that we'll receive praise, or monetary reward?.....or do we do them because we have moral fiber and core values?......that's the difference and it translates with regard to a certain mentality that seems to be it's either give & take or nothing at all.....everyone who is reading this will have to make their own personal decision as to whether they want to do the noble thing....

Similarly, solicitation of donations should be with that same premise/mindset in mind. It shouldn't be peppered with bitter guilt trips and insults. I highly doubt that that's a likely successful strategy to increase donations. You know: flies, honey, vinegar...

Stefan seemed genuinely excited by the line-up and simply expressed that that he would like to be able to enjoy it from the UK. And then he got jumped all over for being "unsupportive." It's really a shame.

HowardR

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 12:52 pm    

Andy Henriksen wrote:
I highly doubt that that's a likely successful strategy to increase donations. You know: flies, honey, vinegar...

Honey doesn't work......I can tell you from 4 years of first hand experience......

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 1:46 pm    

I had some ideas. Tip jar? What do yu think? Howard, you should be laughing right about now. Sure miss you at the show, and thank you for all you have done. For those, actually, attending the show, I am sure donations will be happily, and thankfully, accepted there as well.

HowardR

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 3:08 pm    

Hi Jana.......we always had a tip jar at the show.....it was an acrylic/plastic clear lock box with a slot on top, I think I bought it on Amazon.....we would announce it's existence every so often and usually collected around $300...again, for the amount of people who passed through the room during the entire weekend, it's a small amount (also considering that we used to throw a free pizza party)......but every little bit helps......

BTW.....there's been an uptick in donations recently.....thank you all who decided to support the non pedal room.....I look very forward to viewing the videos and miss you guys too....