The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Florida Steel Guitar Club missing.
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 8:16 pm    

Where has the web site gone?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 3:14 am    

Its gone, about the 1st of Feb. It was hosted by me on my own web site and I discontinued it, thus the club's web site was also discontinued. The club, itself, has been discontinued.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 8:29 pm    

One big problem for me is that I work, so can't really make a 5 PM start. Be nice to have a club that started at,say, 7:30PM.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 3:41 am    

The location that the club held its jams, Catfish Johnny's Restaurant closes relatively early. We had to be done with the jam, packed up and out by 9PM. Thus starting later didn't leave much time for a jam.

If it wasn't for the restaurant, that gave us use of the facility at no charge, there would have never been a steel club. The location has a stage, stage drums, amps, PA, etc. Last week he had a show there with David Frizzell, Thursday evening I filled in for his regular steel player that is ill and we did a show for the Knights of Columbus.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 7:22 pm    

I am in Orlando and would occasionally come down to Catfish Johnnies to listen to the players.
Are there any other steel guitar jams near central Florida?

Thanks
K

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 3:22 am    

There will still be jams in March and April, same dates as the Steel Club had, the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 5:30PM.

After April??? I gave up running the steel club after 10 plus years and don't want to start again. I agreed to do it only for March and April. I'll be 80 this year and if the jams continue, someone else will have to organize them.

The only other steel jam, that I know of, is the Manasota club that meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in Bradenton.