The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gary Carter. With Marty or Connie
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 5:33 pm    

Does Gary only play with Connie? I thought he was part of Marty's band. Watching the show tonight kind of pissed me off. First song was 100% west coast, Owens style. No steel. What made it worse was Marty (and probably the other guitar) was playing Mooney licks, including Mooney's licks from "Rainy Day Woman". I really thought Gary played the whole show. Probably won't watch again.

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 6:07 pm    

I've never had the opportunity to watch the show, but I know that Gary Carter plays in Connie's road band, The Sundowners. Marty said, in an interview I read, that after Gary Hogue died, he didn't want to have another steel player. I understand that Marty and Gary were quite close friends and Gary's death was a very emotionally draining experience.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:22 pm    

Coincidently, I saw the same Marty Stuart Show tonight--RFD-TV must be putting it out in all the U.S. time zones. Yes, Gary's playing was limited, but I think it's because that's the way the producer wanted it for that show. Also, on my cable's schedule/menu/listing--it showed the original air date as 2011--6 years ago! I've been watching for those original air dates on the Marty Stuart Show and other shows, and some are several years old. Recently, someone commented that they heard something about Marty Stuart walking away from the show and possibly not wanting to continue it. The thing I don't like is when Marty does his "Rock-a-Billy" stuff, Gary isn't even sitting at his steel--only when Connie Smith comes out, then Gary comes out to play.

Also, to top all this off, a little while ago I was listening to WSM online "live" and heard Connie Smith singing "I'll Come Running To You"--during a pause in her singing she called out "My band the Sundowners", and when it was time for that great steel break, she called out "Gary Carter on the steel guitar!" So, there you go!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 11:31 pm    

As I understand it, Gary still works with Connie when she plays, but that isn't very often, nowadays. The same is true of most of the older singing stars who are still around, most of their fan-base is gone. Young people today mostly care about the (also) young people they hear on the radio, or on TV. Truth is, most people today under 40 have little knowledge as to what good country music really is.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 6:11 am    

I think Donny is correct in that Gary does play for Connie when she plays. I have watched the show for some time and Gary seldom plays for Marty. When he does play it is for a guest or Connie. Now that Paul Martin has left the group I heard that Chris Scruggs was his replacement. He plays bass and steel, but apparently no new shows have been made so I have not seen him on there other that as a guest one time. I also heard someone comment that Marty might not be making any new shows.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:44 am    

Hard to understand why both RFDTV and Marty are kind of hedging their bets on this issue. Are they done with each other or what, and why all the mystery? Confused

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 10:38 am    

Thanks for the clarification. I think they should give Connie a show. Never cared for Marty.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 12:01 pm    

I too have wondered if the show would ever come back. I greatly enjoyed hearing Gary Carter play. I've heard Marty isn't going to tape any new shows and after all this time I would be surprised if he came back. I would really like for him to so Chris Scruggs could showcase his talents on tv. I've been very impressed when he was a guest on the show a few times.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 2:47 pm    

I really enjoyed the show although I've only ever seen excerpts on Youtube since it was never aired where I live. They did quite a few instrumentals which is a rare thing these days. ( why is that? The audiences always seem to go wild over the instrumentals ) Gary Carter performed at least two instrumentals on the show that I've seen and he got plenty of rides on Marty's songs as well as his work backing Connie Smith. As well as enjoying his steel work I loved the things Marty and Kenny Vaughan worked up, trading solos on Telecasters. If they offered the entire series on DVD I'd be a taker. The musicianship was just amazing but the quality of a lot of the Youtube clips is awful.
I know Paul Martin left the show to do his own thing with his family show. That may have been a contributing factor as well. But in the end it's usually about money. Those shows cost a bundle to produce and it may not have been where advertisers were willing to invest.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 4:55 pm    

I wouldn't put a lot of energy into getting pissed off about anything you see, or don't see on the show. As in perhaps sending in an email to voice your opinon - I believe the most recent episode that was new aired about three years ago, in early 2014.

As for me - I love the guy. Marty & His Fabulous Superlatives are one of my favorite bands on the planet.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 6:32 pm    

Richard, Gary Carter has never been a member of Marty's Band. Just of Connie's Band. I say that like I really know which I don't but that is what I have always seen. As far as Marty playing Moon licks that is what he has been doing for a long time. He has Clarence White's early Telecaster with the B Bender in it and more. He can copy Moon's lick's like you can not believe. And from what little I know Marty walked away from a new contract for more shows. His last were from 2013?? I think. Also I have been told that he, Marty has Connie tied up in a contract that she cannot even be a guest on Larry's Dinner or Family Reunion. What a shame. I Love Connie Smith. I have Direct TV and on Channel 345
at 7:00 pm on Sat. Night I am tuned in to it. Mostly to just see Connie. Google Clarence White's Telecaster and you get a lot of info. Just my thoughts, don't mean that it is Gospel. J.R. Rose

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 4:35 am    

I found the following info on the show's website: the last new episode (from season 6) was aired on July 5, 2014.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 8:53 am    

J.R. is correct, Gary has never been a member of Marty's band but every now and then, does play on some of Marty's songs and is featured sometime with Marty backing him up and Gary is a world class player. But when he is on stage, the steel is never loud enough, even on Connie's stuff.
It is very annoying to me that when Marty does some of the traditional country that fits a steel guitar, Gary isn't on stage. I've always enjoyed Marty's show but usually fast forward thru his stuff. Him and his band are great but not really my kind of music most of the time.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 9:00 am    

I remember him and his band doing "You Ain't Going Nowhere" with Roger McGuinn. It begged for steel, but no.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 7:19 pm    

Marty isn't doing the show again. They are all reruns. RFD TV has become nothing more than a series of infomercials. I deleted them which is a shame because Marty's show was the best thing on TV.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 7:21 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I think they should give Connie a show. Never cared for Marty.

Wow. Marty is probably the best bender player since Clarence, is one of the best mandolin players on the planet, has a stupendous band and is a genuinely nice guy.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 8:07 pm    

Tom Quinn wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

Wow. Marty is probably the best bender player since Clarence, is one of the best mandolin players on the planet, has a stupendous band and is a genuinely nice guy.

Still don't care for him. Never did.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 8:27 pm    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
I remember him and his band doing "You Ain't Going Nowhere" with Roger McGuinn. It begged for steel, but no.

Sounds pretty great to me. You have to realize that Gary might not be available when they are recording the show. Production isn't what the show looks like.

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/f/flies/graphics-flies-254732.gif

Here's an original version from 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q21BF38W3Gs

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:17 am    

Quote:

Not only was Gary not in attendance, but his steel wasn't anywhere to be seen on the set - a sure way to guarantee that there weren't gonna be no steel on this song.... Oh Well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwmyItsU-4

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:40 am    

The steel is setup in the back ground and can be clearly seen at 2:07. This is an early show judging by the set.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 8:52 am    

Yes it can be seen. On hindsight it may have been a good choice to leave it out. It's either string bender or steel in the song, not both.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 9:08 am    

The thing is the show wasn't conceived as a showcase for pedal steel. It was the Marty Stuart Show and the fact that steel wasn't used on every song wasn't an insult to Gary or to steel players in general. I believe Marty has always been a fan of pedal steel and it seems to me I've read that he even plays some. But the music he had a greatest commercial success with, the music video hits that used to air on CMT were not steel heavy. Nonetheless, when he did renditions of those same hits on his weekly show he very often arranged for steel parts and gave Gary solos. I just don't see Marty as some sort of enemy of pedal steel. To me he came across as very generous. Look how much room he gave Kenny Vaughan to display his playing on the show. He gave all the musicians a chance to shine. Check out the 'Showcake' instrumental video with Kenny and Harry Stinson. They all got a turn to show off their vocal abilities too. Even Paul Martin's kids were allowed to sit in with the band on the show...more than once. It's just a pity that more big stars aren't as supportive of their musicians as Marty has been.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 9:32 am    

Show me anywhere that someone said he was an enemy of the pedal steel.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 9:59 am    

Whether or not anyone directly said it there have been a number of comments suggesting that steel guitar was slighted on the show and that isn't supported by the facts. For a B-bender and mandolin virtuoso with his own show I think Marty Stuart gave up a lot of room to everyone else there. I just wish they'd put it back on.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 11:55 am    

Marty is a lover of steel guitar and has even featured a few steel players on his show. The producers are the ones to blame for no steel I imagine in wanting to keep Marty's sound which was really shy of steel guitar. You can't be married to Connie Smith and not love steel guitar, LOL.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.