The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fretboard Survey
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 12:48 pm    

If enough Forumites (about 30 to break even) indicated that they would purchase 12-string Emmons boards, I would have them made. 12-string boards are not often requested of me. Even though I have a small supply of OEM (original equipment manufactured...metal) MSA 12-string boards, I've sold about 2 in the past 5 years. The same has been true for Sho-Bud and Dekley 12-stringers (that I do offer in vinyl). I have to order 100 boards of any "model" (the print shop's minimum). Since the Dekley and Sho-Bud 12-stringers are rarely ordered, it was a mistake for me to have had them produced.

So, if enough (30) customers approach me about 12-string Emmons board purchases, I'll have them made. In fact, I'll have any fret board made if enough interest in shown in any steel guitar brand. But as I said, I have to have 100 boards made of any brand. It takes a long time to sell 100 boards of any model. Any retailer will tell you that they hate tying up a lot of money in inventory, inventory that doesn't move! ...Tom
P.S.: Would players want two models available for the 12-stringers? White background and black background? If so, that means a 200 run purchase for me.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 12:35 am    

Tom, a minimum run of 100 pieces sounds like A LOT. There must be other suppliers out there who could make them for you at a reasonable price in batches of a dozen or even less, with digital printing.

A couple of years ago, a local signmaker produced a "dustcatcher" style fretboard of my own design from 2 mm aluminum with raised markers and frets, filled it with black paint and polished the exposed metal, all for the equivalent of about 120 dollars, including sales tax and the CNC set-up cost. If I had ordered five of them, the price would have dropped to less than 40 dollars a piece.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:36 am     Survey???

OK. Let's see how many interested people will commit to purchasing a 12-string Emmons fretboard (identify a preference for black background and/or a white black background). I've already received a commitment from one person in an email to me (tommybradshaw@gmail.com) to purchase 2 12-stringers.

Either post your interest here or email me directly. I'll keep updating this topic as the numbers increase. So far, the number is 3. That's 10% of the way to 30. I'll not sell the boards for more than $29.00 (as is the price for all the other boards I offer: MSA, Sho-Bud, Dekley and Emmons 10-stringers.

In fact, if readers would be interested in other brands of boards, let me know here or via my email and I'll post a list of those too. ...Tom