The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tom Bradshaw's Chord Construction Updated!
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 11:06 am    

Tom has just expanded his CHORD CONSTRUCTION FOR THE PEDAL STEEL GUITARIST at his website.
The chapters can be viewed and/or printed out, and there are sound files to boot.
Stop on by, check this out, and see what's new at his site.

My reason for wanting to promote this (and Tom) is that he has been - and continues to be - an invaluable asset to the steel guitar community. Especially for those of us who learned pedal steel well before the internet, he was promoting the instrument, and he hasn't stopped since.
http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/chord_construction.php
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 11:23 am    

Thanks for the tip Daniel, I just sent my request to Tom.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 1:25 pm    

Thanks, Daniel...great reference. Tom gets credit for getting me started on pedal steel - I bought my first steel from him 30+ years ago.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 3:24 pm     It's a Freebie!!!

Just saw this post. It should be mentioned that this paper/article is free to view, read and download. Unfortunately, the topic is over 90 pages long. So, have a lot of paper on hand. However, maybe it would be best to read it first, then decide if my effort is worth the paper!!! ...Tom

Jonah Turner

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 8:16 pm    

Tom, I read a lot of the paper and it seems extremely useful for a beginner like me. Thanks for all of the time and effort you put into it, I can tell it took a lot.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 3:54 pm    

Wow, what a wealth of information! Thanks Tom, for the time and effort to create this.

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 5:29 pm    

Hey David and Jonah: Thanks for the compliments. However, I find it interesting that over 1,000 have read this posting, but only about 200 have actually opened and read the paper/article. I know it is over 90 pages long, but still, I can't understand why so few choose to open the web page and read it. Anyone with an idea, let me know since I wrote it for everyone.

Incidentally, it isn't just for beginners. Some hard-nosed pro's and advanced musicians have told me they learned a thing or two from reading it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 3:17 am    

I've looked over several pages of the outstanding article. However, it would be nice to download it.

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 10:57 am     Downloading and Copying

Downloading and copying the paper is accomplished by following the directions that follow. However, the site was designed to take advantage of linked files. Printing it results in the loss of some of the formatting.

Downloading is the same procedure as is done for any screen or web page you are looking at on any Internet site. Once a section (chapter) of the paper is opened, observe in the upper left portion of your screen the words: "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help". Open the "File" option. A pop-up should provide a list of options. One option is listed as "Save As". Click on it and proceed to save the paper to whatever particular file you prefer (documents, downloads, etc). It will be stored there. I just gave the page a name and downloaded it into one of my "Document" files. Each section of the paper must be downloaded the same. It takes a bit more time than being able to download the whole paper at once, but I chose to break up the 90+ page paper into chapters, so as not to be overwhelming to a reader. Once done, I can access any chapter of the paper any time I want.

If you want to copy all 90+ pages, you do so using the same procedure as you would anything else you've used to copy whatever you're viewing from the Internet. Whatever you’re viewing (whether after you’ve downloaded it or not), observe at the top (left) of your screen a number of words. The first one is "File". The second one is "Edit." If you click on "Edit", a window will open that includes "Select All". Click on it. The whole page will become highlighted. Following that, promptly click on the "File" option, then click "Print". I just did it and the whole topic was printed out for me. You would need to open each chapter of the paper and proceed to copy it in this manner. If you want to eliminate the references to my web site and the listing of items I offer for sale, you will need to highlight (with your mouse) the text of the paper. Once done, proceed to copy it as explained in the first portion of this paragraph.

Unless you have the proper application (App) for downloading the audio files, you can't hear them unless you always open my web site. To provide that option to everyone who doesn’t have the audio app in their computers, I would have had to offer CD's of all the music. I chose to give this paper away, even though it has proven quite expensive to do so. I can't afford to offer that option too, and, I’d need a lot of people telling me they would pay for it in order to justify the expense of having the CD’s manufactured and mailed to them.

Steven Husting

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 7:11 am    

Tom, as a new steel player (but an old six-string player with a good solid understanding of chords and theory) I want to thank you for this document as it answers a lot of questions I had. It presents a lot of useful information organized in a way that suits the way I learn easiest.

Steven

Dave Stankoski

Vermont
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 8:04 am    

I just want to extend my thanks as well to Mr Bradshaw for making this available. I'm also a long time (amateur) guitar player just learning PSG and realizing that improving my vague understanding of some of the basics of music theory is the only way to break my tendency to learn by rote.

Norman Watson

Broken Arrow,Ok.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 8:17 pm     chord construction

Great work! Thank you, for sharing.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 6:21 am    

Thanks Tom for a great resource, I've copied all 14 chapters to my iPad for future in depth study, muscian for many years with a pretty good handle on theory, your explanation of slight changes to 3rds and 5ths is an eye opener.

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 6:09 pm     Thank you very, very much,

Thank you Mr Bradshaw, slowly downloading it all to my Dropbox, all seems to be working well, what a wonderful gift, I'm going to take your advice and finally get this stuff down! Thank you

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 3:05 pm     Tom

No doubt about it, Tom has been the best for decades now. Stevet

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 10:31 pm    

I have downloaded it, and printed the entire book. I print on both sides, which most printers do, and it is well worth the cost of the paper, and ink. Thank you Tom, you are one of the greatest.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 3:16 pm    

Great information. I know that was a lot of work.

Thank you so much for doing that and sharing it with us. That work is a treasure chest of knowledge.

Tom Whitworth

Ridgecrest, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 8:46 am    

Does it take a while for the request to go through or am I missing something? Haven't received the email with the download. I'll check again later, this sounds like something I can use.
OME 5 string,
LATEST ADD : Line 6 Helix

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 8:54 am     Chord paper!

Tom: Once you log on as required (typing in your name and email address), you simply point your pointer into the box, and the paper opens up for you. Begin reading the introduction. At the bottom of the introduction pages are the links to all the other chapters of the paper. No one else has had a problem. Let me know if you still do. ...Tom

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 9:16 am    

Thanks Tom, I was missing something. I was thinking something would come to me as an email. I get it now, sorry about that. Downloading now. As mentioned by others here I very much appreciate your work on this publication. Extra note - I have also upgraded from the Peterson VS-II to the STROBOPLUS HD. I love it. TW
OME 5 string,

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 9:26 am    

You mentioned a specific app for the audio. Is that something I can purchase or download?
OME 5 string,

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 9:39 am     Audio app?

I have checked into an audio app. It appears that adding this feature to the paper would just be too costly. If someone knows (or has figured out) how to do this for the paper, please feel free to tell me about it. I want the whole world of steel players to benefit from learning everything I discuss in the paper. Being able to download the demonstrations would be great. ...Tom

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 9:50 am    

I see, it is more than just an app to run the audio it is integral to your publication. If I download each chapter as one of your web pages the audio will work because I am accessing through your site.
OME 5 string,

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 10:14 am    

Tom, would this audio app, make it where you would be reading it, or make it where you could hear the samples. This is so good, I don't know how it could be improved. As I have said, I've printed it and given to several friends. Thanks again for your time in doing this.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 10:55 am    

Hi Jim, Tom Whitworth here - I'm pretty sure the only way to get the audio is to be using the web page version of the document.
OME 5 string,