The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Call for Information - Pee Wee Whitewing
Andie Whitewing

Lafayette, LA now Bellingham, WA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2015 12:30 am    

Dear Folk,

I am Andie Whitewing, Wayma K "Pee Wee" Whitewing's oldest granddaughter by birth and youngest child by adoption and practical application.

I'm about to wrap up an album of his music that I am producing as a tribute to his legacy and I'm moving into research mode.

If any of you has photos, stories, or recordings to share that I might not have, I would be incredibly grateful for your contributions. The research is going to inform the liner notes for the album. I'm going to be in the studio finishing up the sound files between Christmas 2015 and January 2, 2016. While I'm in the SF Bay area, I'm going to be meeting up with and interviewing Shorty Joe and Bobby Black.

I have lots of recordings that I've been collecting to build an archive as well as digital copies of all of Pee Wee's personal photo collection.

Also, if any of you know him and have some free time to chat, he could sure use some friendly calls. Contact me directly and I'll get him in touch with you.

Thanks so much for building and supporting a beautiful musical community. Growing up listening to Pee Wee play in my childhood home sure did raise the bar for my musical expectations Smile

Much love,
Andie Whitewing
Smile

p.s. I have made a ReverbNation and Facebook page for him, and a few of the recordings are up there, but I'm sitting on the others until I finish this album.

www.ReverbNation.com/PeeWeeWhitewing
www.Facebook.com/peeweewhitewing

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2015 7:13 pm    

Andrea - That's really great you've taken on this project. Merry Christmas

Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 7:30 am     Peewee

Andie I wondered what happened to Pewee,I have three phone numbers only one answered no call back....Pewee knows me well,I play steel as well,I played with the Rice theater show,sure would love to talk to him about a EMCI guitar he has(I let him have) please call me or have him call me please......p/s he would have my phone #
Charlie Moore.

Don Aycock

Hollister, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 2:53 pm     Story on Pee Wee

When I was in high school, I walked into a music store in Crowley, Louisiana, about 1968 or '69. As I searched for guitar strings, I saw this odd looking instrument sitting on the floor. I had seen pedal steels on TV but this was my first in person. I strummed the strings and pressed the pedals and realized the unusual sound it could make. While I was fooling around with it, a man came up and told me he would teach me to play it if I would like. I wasn't interested at the time, but I have always remembered the man's name: Pee Wee Whitewing!
At the time I had no idea who he was or that I would later want badly to learn to play. All these years later I marvel at his offer and my ignorance of what it could have meant.
Blessings for your project. Embarassed

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 4:42 pm     Pee Wee Whitewing

Andie
Did you get the emails and messages I sent you? I'll try to contact you when I get back to Crowley in a couple of weeks.
Dale

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 4:59 pm    

Andrea..
I have sent you a private email via the forum. Please check it.
Wishing you all the best in your project. Say hello to my old pal PeeWee.....

Billy Easton

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 5:36 pm     So sweet!

Don - thank you for sharing that sweet story!
Dale - I've responded privately.
Billy - I've responded privately.

I spent a great day with Bobby Black and Shorty Joe Quartucci this past Monday, gathering lots of photos, recordings, and stories, and and so grateful to you all for sharing and participating in this process. I've been in the recording studio all week, mostly mixing and editing, a little singing, and tomorrow we will finish mastering the 25 tracks for his album that I'll be releasing in time for his 82nd birthday in February.

Thank you, keep it coming!
Love,
Andie

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 8:52 pm     "Heart of Steel"

If any of you following this thread wanted to know, Pee Wee's first featured artist album is out now.

His official website is: www.peeweewhitewing.com and the record can be ordered directly at: www.peeweewhitewing.com/order-now/

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my research project - I'm still always accepting new photos and stories!

Andie Whitewing

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 7:13 am    

Andrea, Can you post some of the stories and pictures or are you going to try and make a book of all you are getting together? Again, Best of Luck, J.R. Rose