The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I miss Herby Wallace
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 6:44 am    

I know his name has been brought up many times, but just Yesterday while I was driving to OKC to sell a steel guitar, I pulled up Herby on my IPOD and was listening to his great, great music. He had so much style and feeling to his playing...I especially loved his C6th playing, but it was all good, and his tabs were always so well done. He didnt really know me, but over the years I had purchased a lot of his material and he always greeted me by name and talked to me,,,really a nice man ! We found out we were the same age and also shared a love of toy trains...he said he would go to the train stores when he was in a different city. We lost him wayyyy too young also ! It saddens me to think of all the great steel heros we have lost. RIP Mr Wallace
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 6:51 am     H.w

very well said Larry. i got a lot of his stuff to to learn p.s.g saw him the first time up in Milwaukee Wisconsin when he played with great band. very nice guy to talk to. miss him to...

p.w

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 7:39 am    

I missed out on knowing Herby, but sure have heard OF him. After retirement we bought a part-time place near our daughter in Tennessee, not far at all from Herby's area. If he had not passed away, I'm sure I could have set up a visit, and traded him stories from my railroad career for stories and teaching from his steel career.

Like the Blue Rodeo song says - "Just Bad Timing, That's All"

RIP Herby

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 9:52 am    

Herby is missed by so many who either knew or heard him.
He was a character to begin with and after getting to know you was a riot to be around. I miss him constantly and wish that I could enjoy another 2 hour+ phone conversation. He was such a great player, but a greater human being.
I loved singing with him at steel shows and wish that it could happen again.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 10:48 am    

I used to stay at his cabin in Pigeon Forge. He was quite the guy and one of the top tier players.

However, Bill Ferguson my good friend from Georgia, has preserved on YOUTUBE some of the great playing that Herby was known for.

Like so many others who have gone on before us, he will be missed.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 4:55 am    

I mentioned this in another post but feel it deserves a repeat. Back in the mid-1980s Scotty Scott brought Herby to Langesund Norway for a three day steel seminar and a concert. All told, there were over 40 Scanadavians and a Dutchman as I remember.

We got to talk to both of them and took a ton of info home which included Herby's tabs.the So much information to absorb.

As a finale, players got up and performed and Herby backed-up several of us who sang. So, I can always claim that Herby Wallace backed me up on "Six Days on the Road". I'm sure it was not the highlight of his career as a back-up artist but at least he was grinning.

I do miss him and also miss. Scotty. They were givers. Thanks, Stevet

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 7:06 am    

Great story Steve!

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 9:32 am    

From 2000 to 2007 or so (at least the years I knew about it), local psg guru Jessie Hurt would bring several steelers up to Toledo for a Hall of Fame benefit show and Herby was there every year. What a treat to watch and hear this great man play like nobody's business. I soaked it all up every year, bought his CDs, wish I had bought tab, but back then I didn't have a C6 neck to practice on. I especially loved watching his left hand on a slow song - he would just rotate the bar ever so slightly to create a gentle vibrato effect..... I was fortunate enough to see him play "4-Wheel Drive" a couple times - one year it was requested, but he said, No!

Yes, gone way too soon and much missed by many today.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 10:41 am    

Back in 1984 I bought Herby's HWP-200 "Approach to the C6th Tuning" course in advance of getting my first D-10 guitar, and only after finally getting the D-10 discovered that the course had come with the cassette for the E9th course by mistake. I somehow never got around to correcting this, and it seems like getting his instructional materials is now difficult or maybe impossible.

Would anyone be willing to copy the audio for this course (cassette or CD) for me? I'd gladly compensate you if you could. I've never been able to take full advantage of the course without it, because the tunes are tabbed without timing indicated.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 11:39 am     pm sent

pm sent on audio Brint

mike

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 11:23 pm    

amazing player...

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 3:27 am     Herby

same here I miss him too

I knew him since 1988 I use to go to his shop in Sevierville tn in those days a lot

in the latter years I saw him at our local steel shows he was a great player

we also lost Bryan Adams along the same time

both were mentors to all us guys around here

we have lost so many of our friends but we will see them again in Heaven I'm sure
mike Very Happy

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 9:49 am    

My parents lived in Ringold GA for a few years back in the 80's. I used to take my daughter to visit her grandparents.

Every time I went to visit I always made it a point to stop by and see Herby at the shop behind his house in Chattanooga.

I usually made the excuse of buying something and Herby was always willing to show me a couple of things from time to time.

He was a great player and always a gentleman. If he was performing at a Steel Show I may have missed seeing other players but I never missed any of Herby's sets.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 11:57 am    

Yes, I miss Herbie too. Was always a gentleman and always had time to talk with you and had some very interesting stories. He was a total master of steel guitar and always loved his playing. Even after his first stroke, he fought for right hand control and still sounded great. I felt his frustration. He told me that I know where it all is, just can't make my fingers go there. He put on a little seminar here in town in the 80's and that's the first time I'd personally seen a Mullen guitar. He was playing a red D-10 Mullen then.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 12:52 pm    

My first exposure to Herby was when I went to a seminar of his around 1980 at Steel City in Fort Worth, TX. 30 years later Gary Carpenter told me he was in that seminar. I always remember Herbie saying he dreaded playing the first part of "Take the A Train". Several years later around 83-85 I was in Colorado Springs and went to a seminar with Herby hosted by Mac McConnell, the music was fabulous. But the most memorable time was not that long ago at the PSGA show in Norwalk after Herby was recovering from his stroke, he played two very slow songs, Born to Lose and I Love You Because, they were very simple versions of the songs but some very beautiful playing.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 7:12 am    

Yes, Joachim,
Herby made it a great story and I will never forget that seminar.
Darrell, wonder why Herby dreaded the intro of "Take the A Train"???
What an honest remark and admission that even a pro has things on which to work.

Steve t

Last edited by steve takacs on 27 Feb 2017 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 12:41 am    

First Class Guy....... First Class Player.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 11:39 am    

Steve: Why did Herby dread the intro to take the A train?...I don't understand almost anything of the article linked below but I think it might explain

http://iwillwriteaboutmusichere.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-train-intro.html

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 9:04 pm    

Herby was definitely one of a kind. Such a talent from a young age, much to be said for his accomplishments in the realm of steel guitar.
One of the many nice fellows that left us way to soon. Sad

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 11:19 am    

I bought my first Mullen D10 from Herby in 1994.I attended every Steel Guitar show possible that Herby played. I even rented his cabin in the Smokies several times. Herby was and still is my hero and a master steel guitar player. To say I miss him is an understatement. He will always be my favorite player and friend.