The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster switch - I think I've had it
Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 7:03 am    

I want to stay original - I really do, but the pop switches on my Stringmaster D8 are just too unreliable. Ok, I get it - they're 60 years old, but in the absence of a suitable replacement, I have to go in another direction.

QUESTION: will a Gibson style 3-way switch fit in the old pop switch hole?

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 7:04 am    

Or should I cut the plate for a Tele style blade switch? Prior owner had already cut up the plate for some kind of Mickey Mouse pull-string endeavor

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 8:02 am    

The Gibson-style replacement switch I have on my workbench wants a 0.5" hole, but it looks like it just might squeeze into a slightly smaller one.

HTH. Good luck with The Project! Cool

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 3:16 pm    

I'd even go for a repro 8-string plate with a blade switch

[img]http://www.gretsch-talk.com/media/img_3746.13544/full[/img]

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 7:23 pm    

By "Pop Switches" do you mean the push buttons? They never were any good. Known as those "pesky push buttons" from day 1. Sometime in 1955 I think?
If you want to keep it original and keep the vintage value as high as possible you have to leave them as they are. Unreliable and all.
Do the maintenance on them by keeping them clean and they should work fine. DeoxiT D5 and a gently cleaning with a toothbrush works well.
Razz
Good luck!

Andy Smith

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 4:48 am    

You could always get a replacement control plate with the three way switch from ebay and keep the original safe - they do come up from time to time.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 5:55 am    

Andy Smith wrote:
You could always get a replacement control plate with the three way switch from ebay and keep the original safe - they do come up from time to time.

Replace a dodgy 60 year old switch with another used 60 year old switch which may or may not be in slightly better shape?

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 6:50 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:
Andy Smith wrote:

Replace a dodgy 60 year old switch with another used 60 year old switch which may or may not be in slightly better shape?

I think Andy is suggesting an original plate with the "slot" for the Strat-style three way switch. Good idea, there are a couple of sellers on eBay who regularly part out Stringmasters. In fact, so many are being parted out that lately the prices on the parts have come down in price.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 6:59 am    

Aah. That makes sense. Smile

Last edited by Jeff Mead on 21 Oct 2016 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 7:36 am    

The early Stringmasters had a slide switch. You might be able to find a control plate with that kind of switch. I think you'd need one for each neck.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 7:40 am    

The style of control plate on those early long scale Stringmasters is different from the later ones and it wouldn't fit.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 8:17 am    

Jeff,
That could be. Very Happy

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 6:14 am    

Would a mini toggle switch fit?
I also have a Stringmaster with push buttons , the hole looks too small for a Gibson style selector switch.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 6:47 am    

If I had a little extra money, I'd have some 8-String Stringmaster plates with a Tele switch fabricated. It's flat work, and could be stamped with little effort. There will probably be a miniumum order, though, so maybe I could sell the extras on the'bay ;P

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 7:25 am    

I would probably just put the Gibson-style switch in there and be done with it. But if you don't like the looks or Whatever
then get a pair of modern Push On/Push Off switches similar to Stomp Box switches but not as stout and replace the stock switch with them, one in each hole. Wire one to each neck.
Save all the old parts just in case Stringmasters ever become Collector's Items.

It is really poor practice to make mountains out of molehills unless of course you are being well paid, then all bets are off.Good luck with this project! Cool

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 7:44 am     Mini switch

I think the mini switch with an additional Stainless steel Washer to help it fit the existing hole is the quick easy and least intrusive solution.

Save the Original Switches in a plastic bag for that some day sale to that some day collector.

All Serious Vintage Collectors know , so much as a turned Screw is a Deal Killer in terms of True Collectibility.

The 1st thing String Master folks tend to do is take off the tuner pans to look for Dates.
Technically this destroys all premium value at a collectible view point.

As you described in the early posts , this instrument collectible value is already compromised -
do whatever you want , Drill the holes larger , hack in a blade slot - it's your guitar. Very Happy
YouTube Channel

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 9:17 am    

Michael Maddex wrote:
The Gibson-style replacement switch I have on my workbench wants a 0.5" hole, but it looks like it just might squeeze into a slightly smaller one.

HTH. Good luck with The Project! Cool

Could you post a link to or picture of this Gibson style switch or do you just mean a regular on/off toggle switch?

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 10:07 am    

Here you go, Jeff:

The switch is SPDT with a common ground and Center On. It differs from an ordinary garden variety toggle switch which is usually Center Off or no center position and has no provision for tying the grounds together. BTW, pictured is the Short Switch; there are also Long Switches and Right-angle Switches available.

I do believe that a couple of small Push Button Switches could be used to give reliable switching while maintaining the original look.

Just my two cents worth. Cool

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 10:31 am    

Yes, those are what I used on my Stringmaster quad restoration project. I had the control plate from a triple and had to find a way of putting 4 switches on.

Functionally, I couldn't be happier with them and it's so easy to select any neck combination.

I noticed that Leon McAuliffe put these switches on a couple of his guitars and so figured "if it's good enough for Leon..."

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 9:35 am    

Seems like a lot of trouble to try to jury rig something. The buttons on my '56 T-8 work well as long as I clean them once a year. It's a simple mechanism that should probably last 100 years with a little TLC.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 6:34 pm    

Revisiting

I recently acquired a 22.5" scale D8 Stringmaster from another forum member that has the Tele switch. I couldn't be happier. He showed me a neat trick - keep the Tele switch in the middle position for playing under the vocals, and then kick it to the neck you're playing on for a solo bump