The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  lower on Es returns flat
Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 6:53 pm    

I tried looking for an older topic but couldn't find one. I have a 70s msa classic. And lately for some reason the 4th string wants to come back flat when I lower it. And it's just the finger not coming back. I can push the F lever and it will return. I tried increaing travel. Didn't help, then making it shorter didn't help. At the end I just made it worse than what it was. Anyone know how to fix it?
Jordan

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 7:28 pm    

Try a bit of light machine oil on the roller nut. Usually causes the same symptoms in regular guitar. Bit of oil in the changer might help, too. Also, tighten the return string just a smidge & see if that works.

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 7:52 pm    

Loosened the string and oiled both the rollers and changer well. Didn't help. Plus I don't have adjustable return springs so if I do I'm taking a whole loop off. Though I don't want to. Thanks Rich for the reply Smile
Jordan

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 8:19 pm    

Ok i Fixed it. I drastically changed the bellcrank position and tried that. Didn't do anything but it caused the pull not to be long enough. About 15 cents flat. But I still tried it and it came up flat. Cranked the nut half a turn so it lowered completely. And bam, it fixed. Don't know what was up but it's working
Jordan

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 9:19 pm    

I gigged a 70's MSA Classic for about 5 years, and played it for over 15 years. I had the same problem. One thing that affects the return on an MSA Classic is the 12 key head which makes more String between the Nut Roller and the Tuning Key.

What I found was the nut rollers were not rolling smooth, to allow the string to return. My cure was. I removed the rollers and their shaft. (A CAUTION THREAD THE ROLLERS ON A WIRE AND MARK 1ST STRING SO THEY CAN BE REINSTALLED IT THE SAME ORDER. OR YOU MAY GET BUZZ BETWEEN THE BAR AND STRING). It looked as if its hard carbon steel drill rod and mine had some rust. Polish the rod very brite and smooth with 0000 steel wool. Clean and check sides of rollers for rough places and make sure they role smooth between the fingers on the nut bar. I had to use a flat needle file to remove a couple burrs in a couple slots. My favorite lube for the nut rollers is Vebco Fishing Reel Silicone Grease. this cleared up a lot of the problems with raise and lowers on several strings.

When I played in bands, I removed the shaft and rollers every 3rd string change and checked, polished the shaft with 0000 steel wool and reapplied the silicone grease.

Good Luck in getting the old War Horse Purring great again. BJ

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 3:33 pm    

Seems if it's a 'nut/roller' problem, it would return sharp (hesteresis sp?). Seems the only way it would return flat is if there were some mechanical reason the return lever wasn't returning all the way.. physical binding in the changer, end of a broken string.. something physical.

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 4:45 pm    

So last night it started acting up again. First thing I did was check out the changer. The finger came out and got stuck before returning completly. So I figured it wasn't the bridge. After many attempts to fix it with no luck I just pulled the changer out, gave it a good cleaning and put it back in. Everything in the changer looked good but need a cleaning anyways. I'm not sure if this will help it but I'm also changing my copedent up as I had wanted to do, maybe it will help,

One other thing I notice was the bellcranks on that my E lower were not original and only a 3 hole. So I don't know if that makes a difference.
Jordan