The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tracking for Karaoke Songs this morning
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 6:55 am    

I'm creating two "backup" tracks for a singer friend this morning. First time I've tried this method - I'm taking the song track and creating the drums, bass, steel, rhythm and lead guitar tracks from the song track. So far, I've created the drum track - manually with an Alesis SR-16 drum machine pads (also a first for me). Also tracked bass. After I get off of here I'm going to track steel and guitars.

I got the songs from the Internet and transposed them into the key the singer wanted using my Karaoke program.

After I get all the tracks the way I want them I'll mixdown and add a little Ozone 5 mastering to spiff them up.

The two songs are both gospel songs.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 5:12 pm    

Sounds like a fun project.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 3:47 am    

Jack, kool ! Go up on those Karaoke websites and forums and tell them what you do, several will contact you. I have done a bunch of these with good success over the last couple of years. I charged $100 song . Problem is many of the Karaoke singers don't understand the language of Chorus, Verse, Bridge etc.. I haven't done any in awhile now they were just way too time consuming for me, not the music, the conversations with the clients !

There is a small market out there which as far as I can tell, for individual songs, is untapped.

Go for it ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 5:03 am    

I don't plan on doing more of these. It was more a challenge and learning project to do these two.

I don't have software to create a full karaoke song with lyrics. These two are just the music and the singer will have to copy the original lyrics/style when she sings them.

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 6:25 pm     Karaoke

Just curious do you guys pay the royalties to the songwriters for using their material or are you making tracks with music YOU wrote and own publishing to?
As a BMI publisher and songwriter that's a sore spot when people steal your music you own the rights to.
Thanks
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 1:31 am     Re: Karaoke

W. C. Edgar wrote:
Just curious do you guys pay the royalties to the songwriters for using their material or are you making tracks with music YOU wrote and own publishing to?
As a BMI publisher and songwriter that's a sore spot when people steal your music you own the rights to.
Thanks

WC, I'm not stealing any of those songs that I tracked, I was contracted to record them for a client . Also, Karaoke rooms where they may use them, the royalties are paid by the ROOM, under general license. No different than a bar with a band or a jukebox. Karaoke singers bringing their own tracks is very common in that world.

Do recording studios pay royalties to record sessions ? Not that I am aware of, the final tracks are handed off to the client who owns the session tracks.

To your point, If I track a song or songs for a Steel TAB project or a CD that I may produce for myself for the purpose of selling, then YES, I pay the tab.

I , like you, am affiliated, ASCAP, for my penned songs. I don't do a lot of client sessions in my home studio, but if I do, the royalties for non original songs falls on the client based on how they intend to use them. As you know, royalties are based on usage not the recording session.

The original post and those that followed stated that the tracks were for clients and not for OUR personal use.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 1:57 pm     Re: Karaoke

Tony Prior wrote:

Do recording studios pay royalties to record sessions ? Not that I am aware of, the final tracks are handed off to the client who owns the session tracks.

True! Clients responsibility. Even if a publisher or writer did sue you they can only sue you for what you made from it. Did the song thief even make enough with your song to justify hiring a music lawyer?
I doubt if any Karaoke track either original or re-recorded is worthy of a court settlement.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 2:30 am    

I make it clear, up front, that I'm providing a recording service but its up to the client what they do with it or any royalties.

Same way, I've done several recording sessions for a "retired" Nashville songwriter (BMI) and its his songs and its his responsibility for whatever happens to the songs he wrote (copyright). I did one session for him and it was all songs he had written that George Jones recorded - still his responsibility.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 8:24 am    

That's the way I always did it and never had any problems. I would tell the client if they are gonna mass produce it like 50 or more copies and sell them they should contact the publishers or the Harry Fox Agency and buy them a license to sell so many copies. It's not hard. All part of the music business. If studios and engineers worried about rights to everybody's songs they would not have time for anything else. They would have to stay in the office. However if there was a newbie that needed help with copyrights or license I always took the time to help them. First I encouraged them to go to the websites and try to figure it out themselves with the online instructions. Back when I first started we had to print a lead sheet with the melody line for copyrights now anyone with a voice can put it on a CD and send it in.