The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Tone Block 201--reviews?
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 1:48 pm    

Any new reviews out there on the Quilter Tone Block 201 ?(the newer one, not the 200)

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/toneblock-amplifiers/tone-block-201

Seems like it and a 15" Eminence EPS-15C cab and a delay pedal and/or reverb pedal could be a good compact & lightweight powerhouse.

Last edited by Brooks Montgomery on 22 Feb 2017 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 4:55 pm    

Skip the reverb pedal and get the problock. I'd love to hear some sound clips with steel.

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 7:13 am    

I would agree with Rick--I have had the 200, 201, and now I use a pro-block. They all sound basically the same (better with a tube preamp) and the pro- has reverb.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 9:01 am    

I was initially intrigued with the Problock, but since I already have a really good Nuenabar Wet reverb pedal, I thought the Toneblock 201 might be better.
I wrote Pat Quilter, and he said:

"The Tone Block has more EQ options, the Pro Block has more effects".

I'm more interested in the EQ options.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 9:40 am    

Brooks:

The tone block 201 and pro block have the exact same eq controls: Tri-q and Hi-cut. Only thing the tone block 201 has that the pro block doesn't have is the "voice" control, which seems more like an effect than an eq control to me.

If a full eq section is important, I'd go for the aviator head at $550. Has reverb too!

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 10:14 am    

I asked him about "voice" and he said it is an EQ function.
Not an effect (like verb, or delay, or overdrive etc).

I do wish the EQ categories were labeled a little more in the "norm". But what do I know. Nuttin.

(re: Aviator head--I'm just intrigued with the tiny size of the 201 and Problock)

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 12:08 pm    

Hi Brooks:

I've been using the Tone Block 201 for about the past 8 months, very pleased with it. I play through a few different cabinets, all JBLs, really like the sound of the amp and have used it for pedal steel, lap/console steel and standard guitar.

I've got a Strymon Flint reverb/tremolo/vibrato pedal that I absolutely love (3 reverbs plus 3 tremolos/vibratos) with nearly all of my amps, too, so this was a no-brainer for me. At 2 lbs and 200 watts (actually feels more like about 80 tube amp watts), the 201 has plenty of power and very good tone in a super light-weight package. I tried the reverb on the 200 and while it was good, it wasn't nearly as flexible and comfortable as my own outboard reverb. I also like the XLR line-out feature in the back, nice to send a post effects loop send directly to the board at the larger venues.

The fixed EQ settings are useful and the tone shaping controls are also pretty easy to use, too, for whatever application. I still don't think it has all of the tone of a great tube amp, but it works very well for most gigs I'v played with it. And you just can't argue with a healthy back before and after the gig. One small downside for me vs. the 101 is that there's no headphone adaptor out, which is pretty useful when you don't want to bother the neighbors late at night.

I'm very happy with mine, happy to answer any questions you might have. I bought mine over a holiday weekend on sale, which ended up being around $375 with shipping included, too, which was very reasonable.

Best,
LC